On August 18th Marriott will take the next step in their Starwood acquisition by tripling everyone’s Starpoint balance and creating new unified award charts for Marriott and SPG hotels.
Currently SPG allows everyone at the same address to transfer unlimited points between each other. Marriott is more generous in that they don’t require members transferring points to be from the same address, but they only allow point transfers in excess of 50K if they are being done to complete an award redemption and transfers must be done over the phone.
In general, Marriott’s policies and account numbers will survive the merger, so if you want to easily combine the points of members with the same address online without the need to book an award, you should do that now.
It’s advantageous to have points in the same account as that allows you to redeem for higher priced awards, like 5th night free awards or the 25% bonus for airline mileage transfers in increments of 20K Starpoints or 60K Marriott points in the new program.
It can take 5 business days for Starpoints to be combined between household members, so you should start that process ASAP. If you already waited 5 days you can call SPG to process the transfer instantly.
If you want to combine points to redeem a Marriott award like the lucrative miles+nights travel packages you can do that over the phone with Marriott while redeeming for that award.
Short on points?
- You can still buy Starpoints here.
- Earn points on the new Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card. Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other hotel cards!
Read more about the merger in these posts:
Related Marriott-SPG merger posts:
- Reader Questions: What Makes The Marriott Travel Packages So Lucrative And Which Category Should I Buy? A Comprehensive Guide.
- A Timeline Of Upcoming Critical Dates For The Starwood AMEX Bloodbath And The Starwood-Marriott Merger!
- AMAZING! Marriott’s New Award Chart Is A Dream Come True For Aspirational Hotels; Roundup Of The Hotel Category Changes
- Don’t Wait: Book Hotel Awards Now Before The Starwood-Marriott Merger!
- Hunting Down The Marriott Hotels Getting More Expensive To Potentially Maximize Travel Certificates
- Exploring The Options For A Partial Points Refund Of The Marriott Travel Packages, Which Package Should You Buy Now?
- Marriott Has No Plans On Letting Us Know What They Plan On Doing With Current Travel Packages, But Don’t Let That Stop You From Taking Advantage Of Them!
- Where Will You Be Able To Use Chase Marriott And Starwood Anniversary Nights?
- Another Guess At What Will Happen With Marriott’s Miles+Nights Travel PackagesAnd Which You Should Buy Now Before It’s Too Late!
- Breaking Down The New Marriott/Starwood Combined Cash+Points And PointSavers Award Charts
- Marriott Will Massively Devalue New Miles+Nights Travel Packages In August;Comparing The Value Of The Current Packages To The New Packages
- Final Opportunity: Get 35% Off The Purchase Of Starwood Starpoints; Buy The Points You Need To Take Advantage Of These 7 Awesome Redemptions!
- Get A 75,000 Point Signup Bonus On The Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card!
- Live Blog: Follow The Marriott-Starwood Program Merger Announcement!
- 3 Starwood AMEX Cards In The New Marriott Program: A Comparison Chart Of The Good, The Bad, And The Horrific
- Comparison Chart: How Marriott’s August 2018 And February 2019 Award Chart Compares With The Current SPG And Marriott Award Charts
- Marriott Got Almost Everything Perfect, But The Starwood AMEX Cuts Are Just Too Painful
- Rack Up The Starpoints While You Still Can: There Will Be 6 Months Of Amazing Starwood Hotel Bargains!
- No Marriott, The Starwood AMEX Card Will Not Be Richer Than Ever. You Are Just Changing What I’ll Use It For
- Starwood-Marriott Merger FAQs: Answers To Your Questions About Anniversary Nights, Status From Existing Cards, And More
- The Starwood Consumer AMEX And Multiple Chase Marriott Cards Are Being Discontinued! Here’s What You Need To Know About 9 Starwood And Marriott Cards
- Will The Starwood Cards Disappear Or Lose Their Starpoints Signup Bonuses Today? Now Is The Time To Signup If You Don’t Have These Cards Yet!
- AMEX: 3 Starwood Cards Will Be Available For New Applications After The SPG-Marriott Program Merger In August
- Guesstimating Where Marriott Travel Packages Will Work In August; Take Advantage Of Marriott’s Lucrative Miles+Nights Packages Now!
- A Week Later, But No Solid Answers To 3 Contradictory Marriott-Starwood Merger Details That Everyone Wants To Know
- Marriott Clarifies Contradictory SPG Gold Information
- Roundup Of The SPG/Marriott Lifetime Status Rules; Will You Be Able To Hit Lifetime Status This Year Before The Lifetime Program Is Devalued?