Update, 4/19: The Starwood Consumer AMEX will not be discontinued. However both the Starwood consumer and business cards are no longer offering any points for a signup bonus.
I wrote yesterday that the Starwood Consumer AMEX may be discontinued shortly.
The Chase Marriott Premier card will also be discontinued shortly.
The Starwood Business AMEX will stick around.
The Canadian Starwood AMEX card just lost its Starpoints signup bonus and is now only offering a $100 statement credit plus a $150 Marriott hotel credit.
The rumor going around the interwebs is that the US Starwood AMEX cards will also follow that pattern and start offering a statement credit of about $200 as the signup bonus instead of awarding Starpoints for signing up. I can’t confirm the rumors, but it does seem like a strong possibility.
The US Starwood Consumer AMEX of course may be closed to new signups at any time (as soon as today) without warning as has happened with several other discontinued cards.
This can all happen as soon as sometime today, so if you do want to take advantage of the current 25K Starpoint welcome bonuses (which will become 75K Marriott points in August along with a very lucrative award chart for 6 months), you’ll want to do that ASAP!
The Starwood cards will lose their spending luster when everyday spending goes down from 3 Marriott points per dollar to 2 per dollar in August. However as of 8/1 you will receive a free night upon every card anniversary valid at hotels that cost up to 35K points with each card. That covers 5 of the 7 hotel categories. If you use it at a category 5 hotel then your $95 annual fee will be a bargain as that would be like buying 35K points at a cost of just 0.27 cents per point. Plus you’ll earn Silver Elite status, 15 elite night credits, free premium in-room WiFi, and worldwide Boingo.
Will you you signup for any Starwood or Marriott cards today before it’s too late?
- Live Blog: Follow The Marriott-Starwood Program Merger Announcement!
- 3 Starwood AMEX Cards In The New Marriott Program: A Comparison Chart Of The Good, The Bad, And The Horrific
- Comparison Chart: How Marriott’s August 2018 And February 2019 Award Chart Compares With The Current SPG And Marriott Award Charts
- Marriott Got Almost Everything Perfect, But The Starwood AMEX Cuts Are Just Too Painful
- Rack Up The Starpoints While You Still Can: There Will Be 6 Months Of Amazing Starwood Hotel Bargains!
- No Marriott, The Starwood AMEX Card Will Not Be Richer Than Ever. You Are Just Changing What I’ll Use It For
- Starwood-Marriott Merger FAQs: Answers To Your Questions About Anniversary Nights, Status From Existing Cards, And More
- The Starwood Consumer AMEX And Multiple Chase Marriott Cards Are Being Discontinued! Here’s What You Need To Know About 9 Starwood And Marriott Cards
- Will The Starwood Cards Disappear Or Lose Their Starpoints Signup Bonuses Today? Now Is The Time To Signup If You Don’t Have These Cards Yet!
- Should You Signup For A Starwood Card Today Without A Signup Bonus Before It’s Discontinued?
- Guesstimating Where Marriott Travel Packages Will Work In August; Take Advantage Of Marriott’s Lucrative Miles+Nights Packages Now!