On 4/17 I made a Starwood-Marriott FAQ page and wrote that SPG Golds who matched to Marriott Gold would remain Gold when the programs begin to merge in August.
However, several other bloggers wrote that they were told that SPG Golds who matched to Marriott Gold would receive Platinum status in August. The Marriott merger page was vague on the issue, but it seemed to me like they were wrong. However after the Australian Business Traveler quoted Marriott as saying that SPG Golds who matched to Marriott Gold would receive Platinum status I made a post about Marriott’s contradictory statements on the issue.
“I already linked my SPG and Rewards accounts. what will happen to my matched elite status in august?
- SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) is status matched to Rewards Gold (50 nights) and in August will be Gold Elite (25 nights)
- SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) is status matched to Rewards Platinum (75 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)
Marriott Rewards Members:
- Rewards Gold (50 nights) is status matched to SPG Gold (10 stays/25 nights) and in August will be Platinum Elite (50 nights)
- Rewards Platinum (75 nights) is status matched to SPG Platinum (25 stays/50 nights) and in August will be Platinum Premier Elite(75 nights)”
In other words: Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
If you have SPG Gold matched to Marriott Gold, you will only be Gold in the new program. Worse yet, that’s a midyear downgrade for existing SPG Golds as they currently get 4pm late checkout, but will only get 2pm late checkout with the new program.
If you do have an AMEX Platinum card and currently have SPG and Marriott Rewards Gold, you will continue to be Gold in the new program.
If you earned Marriott Gold or Starwood Platinum without a status match then you will be Platinum in the new program. If you earned Marriott Platinum without a status match then you will be Platinum Premier in the new program.
- Get A 100,000 Point Signup Bonus On The Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card!
- Live Blog: Follow The Marriott-Starwood Program Merger Announcement!
- 3 Starwood AMEX Cards In The New Marriott Program: A Comparison Chart Of The Good, The Bad, And The Horrific
- Comparison Chart: How Marriott’s August 2018 And February 2019 Award Chart Compares With The Current SPG And Marriott Award Charts
- Marriott Got Almost Everything Perfect, But The Starwood AMEX Cuts Are Just Too Painful
- Rack Up The Starpoints While You Still Can: There Will Be 6 Months Of Amazing Starwood Hotel Bargains!
- No Marriott, The Starwood AMEX Card Will Not Be Richer Than Ever. You Are Just Changing What I’ll Use It For
- Starwood-Marriott Merger FAQs: Answers To Your Questions About Anniversary Nights, Status From Existing Cards, And More
- The Starwood Consumer AMEX And Multiple Chase Marriott Cards Are Being Discontinued! Here’s What You Need To Know About 9 Starwood And Marriott Cards
- Will The Starwood Cards Disappear Or Lose Their Starpoints Signup Bonuses Today? Now Is The Time To Signup If You Don’t Have These Cards Yet!
- AMEX: 3 Starwood Cards Will Be Available For New Applications After The SPG-Marriott Program Merger In August
- Guesstimating Where Marriott Travel Packages Will Work In August; Take Advantage Of Marriott’s Lucrative Miles+Nights Packages Now!
- A Week Later, But No Solid Answers To 3 Contradictory Marriott-Starwood Merger Details That Everyone Wants To Know