Follow us on:
Table of Contents
Twitter SMS Is Dead
Thousands of DansDeals readers received SMS alerts from Twitter over the past 11 years, but Twitter recently turned off SMS notifications and removed 9,000 DansDeals SMS followers without warning.
Here are some options that you can use to keep on top of the latest deals:
Option A: The most reliable option appears to be Telegram notifications
Step 2: Click here to access the @DansDeals channel and click join on the bottom:
Step 3: Click on the DansDeals channel name on top and ensure that notifications from the channel are on:
Option B: If you don’t have a smartphone, then you’ll want SMS alerts
You will need internet access to setup a GroupMe account to start getting SMS alerts, but you won’t need to use it again after you set it up and you won’t need to download any apps.
Note that you will not be joining a mass group with this option, you will only get SMS directly from DansDeals.
Step 1: Signup for a GroupMe account here with your email address and then enter the cell phone number on which you want to receive deal alerts.
(Note: If you already have a GroupMe account or have the GroupMe app, ensure from the settings menu that “receive messages via SMS” is enabled and then skip to step 3.)
Step 2: Verify your number with GroupMe via a PIN and click start chatting. You can click “text me the pin” if you don’t receive it:
Step 3: Click here to enable SMS notifications of new DansDeals posts.
You’ll have to login to your newly created GroupMe account and verify the PIN they will send to your cell phone.
Step 4: Click the allow button to finish enabling DansDeals SMS notifications to your phone:
You will then be forwarded back to DansDeals with a confirmation that SMS notifications have been set up successfully.
There is no need to download the GroupMe app, though you can do so if you want GroupMe push notifications instead of SMS alerts.
Option C: Twitter app push notifications are fast, but notifications can be spotty.
Twitter may be slightly faster than the previous options, but for now, their push notifications are spotty and less reliable at times.
Update: You can enable Twitter push notifications without WiFi by downloading the latest Twitter app update. You may need to clear your app cache and data.
Step 2: Search for DansDeals and click on follow.
Step 4: From the home page, click on your own profile image on the top left to get to the drop down settings menu and then on “settings and privacy.”
Step 5: Click on “Notifications” and then on “push notifications.”
Step 6: Enable push notifications on top and then enable them for Tweets from people you follow. When you click on Tweets, DansDeals should now should up in this section. You can select which accounts you want push notification from.
You can also disable push notifications for other Twitter alerts and actions on this page.
Option D: In-browser push notifications
When you first visit DansDeals.com you should have the option to be notified of new posts. If you said “No thanks” you can still turn them on by clicking on the notification bell icon on the bottom left of the site:
Alternatively you can click on the secure icon in your browser’s URL bar and then editing the notifications settings to allow or block notifications in order to turn them on or off:
Other methods of staying connected
- Like our DansDeals Facebook page.
- Join the DansDeals Facebook group discussion.
- Discuss anything under the sun on the DansDeals Forums.
- Subscribe to the DansDeals RSS feed at http://www.dansdeals.com/feed, or to the DansDeals comments RSS feed at http://www.dansdeals.com/comments/feed
- Subscribe to the DansDeals Daily Email Digest that can be found on the sidebar of this site.
- Post a deal tip on the DansDeals Forum’s Amazon & Walmart Deals Board or the regular Deals/Deal Requests Board for deals that aren’t related to Amazon or Walmart. Get to 100 hat tips and win awesome prizes!
- Email deal tips to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dan@DansDeals.com, but please note that we’re unable to answer personal emails. You can always post a deal as a comment on any post!
- Advertise on DansDeals.com by contacting us at email@example.com
Happy deal hunting!