DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Update: You can now book travel on JetBlue to London on Emirates.com.
For example a one-way flight to London in MINT (in fare class I as described below) can run some $5,220:
Or 247,500 JetBlue points:
But you can book it for just 64,000 Emirates miles each way! Incredibly, there are no fuel surcharges:
However, you will pay the UK’s hefty Air Passenger Duties for the return flight:
Originally posted on 7/9/21:
You’ll need to login to an Emirates Skywards account to search for award space. After logging in, click on Book Classic Rewards Flight and then Search partner flights only.
Award availability in coach appears to be extremely stingy, but surprisingly, award space in MINT business class is extremely generous.
For example there is award space available from Newark to Los Angeles in MINT class this Sunday, despite paid tickets selling for $1,502:
JetBlue wants 138,500 points in MINT class for those pricey flights:
But with Emirates it costs just 52K miles, a value of 2.87 cents per mile!
If you want to search for MINT award space for a whole month at a time, you can search on ITA Matrix for booking class I on a one-way flight. To do that, just click on advanced controls and then paste this into the routing code field: B6 / f bc=I
That will give you a calendar of dates with availability:
And then clicking on a date will give you the flights that are available:
Clicking on a flight will confirm that it’s available in booking class I:
And then you can go to the Emirates site to find those same flights available:
I couldn’t find a consistent way to search for economy availability on ITA Matrix.
The same 52K MINT rate would apply to other routes, like NYC to Las Vegas, Palm Springs, San Diego, San Francisco, and Seattle. Search for NYC on the Emirates site to include JFK and Newark. You can find all MINT routes here. If the Emirates site doesn’t allow you to search for your preferred route you can call them at 800-777-3999 to book.
You can also call JetBlue to reserve 3 course kosher meals on all MINT class flights!
You can check if a plane has the new MINT suites by looking at the seat map on JetBlue.com.
Old MINT class:
New MINT suites:
JetBlue’s new Mint class suites look awesome:
Unfortunately the Emirates site does not allow you to search for NYC-London flights. I tried calling Emirates 3 times at 800-777-3999, without much luck. The first 2 agents and a manager told me that they are only able to book domestic JetBlue flights. That was clearly not true though as I was able to get some flights to the Caribbean to price out at 40K miles in MINT class. Typically JetBlue’s Caribbean flights only have MINT class planes on Saturdays.
On my 4th call, the agent said that he couldn’t price it out, but he held the award space that I found. Note that you need to search ITA for a round-trip flight to London in order to find booking class I space.
The agent said he will call me back when he is able to get pricing information for my flight. If it’s available I’m expecting the cost to be 64K miles each way. However JetBlue charges massive fuel surcharges on their London flights, which would make the redemption pointless if they are passed on in full by Emirates:
Still, this is a potential game changer as JetBlue transcontinental business class availability is excellent even when fares are high, and there’s a wide range of bank partners that transfer to Emirates. Those transfers are all typically instant, but if you want, you can call Emirates to hold an award while you transfer points in.
Want to earn Emirates miles?
- You can transfer AMEX, Capital One, Chase, Or Citi points to Emirates at a 1:1 ratio or Marriott points to Emirates at a 60K:25K ratio.
If you, a member in your household, or an authorized user has one of the following Chase cards, you can transfer points into miles:
- Chase Sapphire Preferred has a 60K signup bonus, earns 2.1 points per dollar on travel, 3.1 points per dollar on dining, streaming, and online groceries, has a $50 hotel credit, can transfer all Chase points into miles, and points are worth at least 1.3 cents each for paid travel or pay yourself back categories ($95 annual fee). Read more here.
- Chase Sapphire Reserve has a 50K signup bonus, earns 3 points per dollar on dining/travel, has a $300 travel credit, can transfer all Chase points into miles, and points are worth at least 1.5 cents each for paid travel or pay yourself back categories ($550 annual fee with $300 travel credit). Read more here.
- Chase Ink Preferred has a 100K signup bonus and earns 3 points per dollar on shipping, advertising, and travel, can transfer all Chase points into miles, and points are worth at least 1.25 cents each for paid travel or pay yourself back categories ($95 annual fee). Read more here.
Chase no-annual fee cards that are fantastic for earning points, but require one of the cards above for points transfers include:
- Chase Ink Cash has a record high 75K signup bonus and earns 5 points per dollar on cable, TV, telecom, cellular, office supply stores, and gift cards from office supply stores, plus 2 points per dollar on dining and gas ($0 annual fee). Read more here.
- Chase Ink Unlimited has a record high 75K signup bonus and earns 1.5 points per dollar everywhere ($0 annual fee). Read more here.
- Chase Freedom Flex has a 20K signup bonus, plus earn 5 points per dollar on up to $12K in groceries for 1 year, plus 5 points on rotating categories, 5 points per dollar on travel purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, and 3 points per dollar on dining and drugstores ($0 annual fee). Read more here.
- Chase Freedom Unlimited has a 20K signup bonus, plus earn 5 points per dollar on up to $12K in groceries for 1 year, at least 1.5 points per dollar everywhere, 5 points per dollar on travel purchased through the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal, and 3 points per dollar on dining and drugstores ($0 annual fee). Read more here.
If you or a friend has one of the following Citi cards, you can transfer points into miles:
- Citi Premier has a record high 80,000 points for spending $4,000 in 3 months, 3 points per dollar on airfare, hotels, travel agents, groceries, gas, and dining. $95 annual fee. Read more here.
Citi no-annual fee cards that are fantastic for earning points, but require one of the cards above for points transfers include:
- The Citi Double Cash card offers 2% cash back or 2 points per dollar spent everywhere that can be transferred into ThankYou points. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles. No annual fee. Read more here.
- The Citi Custom Cash Card offers 5 points per dollar on up to $500 in purchases in your top eligible spending category each billing cycle. This is marketed as 5% cash back, but will actually come in the form of 5 ThankYou points per dollar spent! Eligible categories include Restaurants, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs, and Live Entertainment. You will also get 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months. No annual fee. Read more here.
- The Citi Rewards+ Card offering 15,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months. This card can’t transfer points on its own, but can transfer points if you have one of the Citi cards above. This card automatically rounds up rewards earned on every purchase to the nearest 10 points, meaning you earn 10 points on a $0.50 Amazon balance reload. Earn 2 points on $6K in annual spending at supermarkets, 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, and a 10% points rebate when you redeem points, up to a 10K points rebate per year. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles and get a 10% points rebate on transferred or redeemed miles. No annual fee. Read more here.
Capital One cards with transferable Membership Rewards points to miles include:
- Capital One Venture offering 60,000 miles, 2 miles per dollar everywhere. Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership. $95 annual fee.
- Capital One Spark Miles offering 50,000 miles for spending $4,500 in 3 months, 2 miles per dollar everywhere. Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership. $0 intro annual fee, then $95 annual fee.
AMEX cards with transferable Membership Rewards points to Emirates include:
- AMEX Blue Business Plus
- AMEX Platinum Business
- AMEX Gold Business Card
- AMEX Platinum Consumer Card
- AMEX Gold Consumer Card
- AMEX Green Consumer Card
- AMEX Everyday Preferred Consumer Card
- AMEX Everyday Consumer Card
Marriott cards with transferable points to Emirates include:
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Consumer Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express®Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold Card
Will you take advantage of this new booking option?