Marriott shook up their card lineup last week and the big winner was…a card that isn’t even currently offered.
The JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton Card now offers an incredible value.
It has a hefty $450 annual fee, but here’s what you get for that:
- An anniversary free night that is now valid up to 85K points. Previously this card received a 50K free night certificate. You can also top it up with up to 15K points, for rooms that go for up to 100K points per night.
- A $300 annual airline fee credit. This credit is a lot more flexible that the AMEX airline fee credit. It’s good for any airline in the world. You can use it for seat upgrades, bag fees, lounges, and any other fee. To get credit, you just call or send an SM to Chase with a request. I’ve never been denied reimbursement for a fee.
- A Priority Pass membership that allows you to bring unlimited free guests into lounges. While AMEX limits you to traditional lounges, this also works for airport bars, restaurants, stores, massage spas, minute suites, and much more. For example in Cleveland I can use it at The Club lounge or for a $28/person credit at Bar Symon. With unlimited free guests, I can receive pretty much all of the snacks and drinks to stay or to go that I could ever want.
- Additional card users are free and they also receive a Priority Pass membership that allows you to bring unlimited free guests into lounges!
- Global Entry/TSA PreCheck/NEXUS credit
- Return Protection, up to $500/item and $1,000/year.
- Roadside Assistance, free up to 4 times per year.
- Primary Car Rental CDW Coverage worldwide.
- Emergency Medical and Dental when traveling.
- Trip Delay Reimbursement
- Baggage Insurance, extended warranty, and purchase protection
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance
- 3 annual Ritz-Carlton Club Level Upgrade Certs On Paid Stays
- $100 property credit at Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve or S. Regis when you book using special rate for a 2+ nights.
- Gold elite status, plus earn Platinum with $75K spend.
- Complimentary premium in-room internet.
- Visa Infinite benefits, like a 3 year Ship membership.
If you use the $300 airline fee credit, your effective annual fee for all the other benefits is just $150!
Alas, the card no longer offers the $100 airfare discount, but that’s still a lot of benefits for that fee.
With 85K-100K points, you can stay in a hotel room with a private pool that would otherwise cost thousands of dollars per night!
The one caveat here is you can’t apply for this grandfathered card anymore!
- Luckily, you can still product change to it from these cards that are currently offered:
- Chase Marriott Bold Consumer Card: Earn 60,000 points for spending $2,000 in 3 months, $0 annual fee, no anniversary certificate. Read more here.
- Chase Marriott Boundless Consumer Card: Earn 100,000 points for spending $3,000 in 3 months, $95 annual fee, 35K anniversary certificate. Read more here.
- Chase Marriott Bevy Consumer Card: Earn 125,000 points for spending $4,000 in 3 months, $250 annual fee, no anniversary certificate. Read more here.
The clear winner among those cards is the Chase Marriott Boundless card, with a low annual fee and a valuable free night certificate.
In general, you have to hold onto a card for a year before you can product change, though some reps have allowed people to product change before then.
If you’re a Marriott loyalist, the JPMorgan Ritz Carlton card is now a no-brainer. Will you try to get it?
|Chase Marriott Bold Consumer Card||Chase Marriott Boundless Consumer Card||Marriott Bonvoy Consumer AMEX||Marriott Bonvoy Business AMEX||AMEX Marriott Bevy Consumer Card and Chase Marriott Bountiful Consumer Card||JPMorgan Ritz Carlton Card||Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Consumer AMEX|
|Points earned on everyday purchases||1 (2 on travel purchases)||2||2||2||2||2||2|
|Points earned on airfare||2||2||2||2||2||3||3|
|Points earned on Marriott hotels||3||6||6||6||6||6||6|
|Points earned on restaurants||1||3 ($6K annual cap across 3x categories)||2||4||4 ($15K annual cap across 4x categories)||3||3|
|Points earned on supermarkets||1||3 ($6K annual cap across 3x categories)||2||2||4, US only on AMEX, worldwide on Chase ($15K annual cap across 4x categories)||2||2|
|Points earned on gas stations||1||3 ($6K annual cap across 3x categories)||2||4, US only||2||2||2|
|Points earned on wireless service and shipping||1||2||2||4, US only||2||2||2|
|Free elite status level||Silver||Silver||Silver||Gold||Gold||Gold||Platinum|
|Elite night credits||15 consumer nights||15 consumer nights||15 consumer nights||15 business nights||15 consumer nights||15 consumer nights||25 consumer nights|
|Elite status with annual spending||None||Gold for $35K, plus earn 1 elite night credit with every $5,000 spent||Gold for $35K||-||-||Platinum for $75K||-
|Anniversary night with no spending required||None||Automatic free night up to 35K Marriott points||Automatic free night up to 35K Marriott points||Automatic free night up to 35K Marriott points||None||Automatic free night up to 85K Marriott points||Automatic free night up to 85K Marriott points|
|Free night awards for spending||None||None||None||35K night if you spend $60K in a calendar year||50K night if you spend $15K in a calendar year||None||85K night if you spend $60K in a calendar year, or select 5 suite upgrade nights or $750 off Marriott mattress|
|Monthly restaurant credit.||None||None||None||None||None||None||$25|
|Bonus points on each paid stay charged to card||None||None||None||None||1,000||None||None|
|Savings on Marriott stays||None||None||None||7% off standard rates||None||$100 property credit at Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve or S. Regis when you book using special rate for a 2+ nights||$100 property credit at Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve or S. Regis when you book using special rate for a 2+ nights|
|Annual Ritz-Carlton Club Level Upgrade Certs On Paid Stays||None||None||None||None||None||3||None|
|Annual airline fee credit||None||None||None||None||None||$300||None|
|Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit||None||None||None||None||None||Full credit every 4 years.||Full credit every 4 years.|
|Foreign transaction fees||None||None||None||None||None||None||None|
|Complimentary premium in-room internet||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Priority Pass lounge membership||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||Yes, with 2 free guests|
|Enhanced Priority Pass access to restaurants, spas, and non-lounge credits||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||No|
|Chase Sapphire Lounge Access||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||One free annual visit to Chase Sapphire lounge with no guests. Guests or additional visits cost $75.|
|Priority Pass lounge membership for free additional users||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||No|
|Enhanced Priority Pass access to restaurants, spas, and non-lounge credits for free additional users||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||No|
|Chase Sapphire Lounge Access for free additional users||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||No|
|Roadside Assistance||No||No||No||No||No||4 free uses per year||No|
|US Car Rental CDW Coverage||Secondary||Secondary||Secondary||Secondary||Secondary||Primary||Secondary|
|Emergency Medical and Dental when traveling||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||No|
|Trip Delay Reimbursement||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Baggage Insurance, extended warranty, and purchase protection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|