DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Marriott is shaking up their credit card lineup in a big way.
The Marriott Brilliant AMEX will see its annual fee climb from $450 to $650 as it becomes an ultra-premium card. The higher fee is in effect for new applications. If your card renews in 2022 you’ll pay the $450 fee. Card renewals in 2023 will be at the $650 fee.
Luckily, it will have benefits to match.
- Previously the card provided Gold status. Effective today, it includes Platinum elite status, which normally requires 50 nights annually at Marriott hotels. Platinum status includes 4pm late checkout, a welcome amenity like a gift, points, or free breakfast, and upgrades to suites at checkin when available.
- Previously the card provided an annual night, good at Marriott hotels up to 50K points per night, with the ability to top it off with 15K points for rooms up to 65K points per night. Now it will provide an annual night, good at Marriott hotels up to 85K points per night, with the ability to top it off with 15K points for rooms up to 100K points per night.
- Previously the card provided 15 elite night credits annually towards higher elite status. Now it will provide 25 elite night credits annually towards higher elite status. You can stack that with a Marriott business card to start off every year with 40 nights towards elite status.
- Previously the card provided $300 in annual Marriott spending. Now it includes $25 monthly credit at restaurants worldwide, including dine-in, takeout, or via restaurant delivery apps.
- If you spend $60K annually on the card, you can select an earned choice benefit, such as another 85K free night award, 5 suite night upgrades, or $750 off a Marriott mattress.
Other benefits remain the same. Those include Global Entry/PreCheck, Priority Pass, and more.
Marriott is also launching mid-tier cards, the Marriott Bonvoy Bevy™ American Express® Card and the Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful™ Card from Chase.
Those cards will have a $250 annual fee and will include the following benefits:
- 6 points per dollar spent at Marriott.
- 4 points per dollar on up to $15,000 of annual spending on restaurants worldwide and US supermarkets.
- 2 points per dollar elsewhere.
- Gold elite status.
- 1,000 Marriott points with every paid stay at Marriott hotels charged to your card.
- If you spend $15K on the card you will earn an annual free night, good at Marriott hotels up to 50K points per night, with the ability to top it off with 15K points for rooms up to 65K points per night.
- 15 elite night credit towards higher elite status.
Surprisingly, those mid-tier cards won’t come with an annual free night unless you spend $15K on them in a year. That puts those mid-tier cards in the awkward position of having fewer benefits than the lower-tier Marriott cards have, though if you’ll spend $15K you’ll have a more valuable free night certificate.
JPMorgan Ritz Carlton cardholders are in for a real treat. Their annual fee won’t change, but the annual 50K free night from that card will be improved to an annual 85K free night!
What do you think of these changes?
Here is a comparison chart of the 8 Marriott cards:
|Chase Marriott Bold Consumer Card||Chase Marriott Boundless Consumer Card||Marriott Bonvoy Consumer AMEX||Marriott Bonvoy Business AMEX||AMEX Marriott Bevy Consumer Card and Chase Marriott Bountiful Consumer Card||JPMorgan Ritz Carlton Card||Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Consumer AMEX|
|Points earned on everyday purchases||1 (2 on travel purchases)||2||2||2||2||2||2|
|Points earned on airfare||2||2||2||2||2||3||3|
|Points earned on Marriott hotels||3||6||6||6||6||6||6|
|Points earned on restaurants||1||3 ($6K annual cap across 3x categories)||2||4||4 ($15K annual cap across 4x categories)||3||3|
|Points earned on supermarkets||1||3 ($6K annual cap across 3x categories)||2||2||4, US only on AMEX, worldwide on Chase ($15K annual cap across 4x categories)||2||2|
|Points earned on gas stations||1||3 ($6K annual cap across 3x categories)||2||4, US only||2||2||2|
|Points earned on wireless service and shipping||1||2||2||4, US only||2||2||2|
|Free elite status level||Silver||Silver||Silver||Gold||Gold||Gold||Platinum|
|Elite night credits||15 consumer nights||15 consumer nights||15 consumer nights||15 business nights||15 consumer nights||15 consumer nights||25 consumer nights|
|Elite status with annual spending||None||Gold for $35K, plus earn 1 elite night credit with every $5,000 spent||Gold for $35K||-||-||Platinum for $75K||-
|Anniversary night with no spending required||None||Automatic free night up to 35K Marriott points||Automatic free night up to 35K Marriott points||Automatic free night up to 35K Marriott points||None||Automatic free night up to 85K Marriott points||Automatic free night up to 85K Marriott points|
|Free night awards for spending||None||None||None||35K night if you spend $60K in a calendar year||50K night if you spend $15K in a calendar year||None||85K night if you spend $60K in a calendar year, or select 5 suite upgrade nights or $750 off Marriott mattress|
|Monthly restaurant credit.||None||None||None||None||None||None||$25|
|Bonus points on each paid stay charged to card||None||None||None||None||1,000||None||None|
|Savings on Marriott stays||None||None||None||7% off standard rates||None||$100 property credit at Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve or S. Regis when you book using special rate for a 2+ nights||$100 property credit at Ritz-Carlton, Ritz-Carlton Reserve or S. Regis when you book using special rate for a 2+ nights|
|Annual Ritz-Carlton Club Level Upgrade Certs On Paid Stays||None||None||None||None||None||3||None|
|Annual airline fee credit||None||None||None||None||None||$300||None|
|Global Entry/TSA PreCheck credit||None||None||None||None||None||Full credit every 4 years.||Full credit every 4 years.|
|Foreign transaction fees||None||None||None||None||None||None||None|
|Complimentary premium in-room internet||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Priority Pass lounge membership||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||Yes, with 2 free guests|
|Enhanced Priority Pass access to restaurants, spas, and non-lounge credits||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||No|
|Chase Sapphire Lounge Access||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||One free annual visit to Chase Sapphire lounge with no guests. Guests or additional visits cost $75.|
|Priority Pass lounge membership for free additional users||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||No|
|Enhanced Priority Pass access to restaurants, spas, and non-lounge credits for free additional users||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||No|
|Chase Sapphire Lounge Access for free additional users||No||No||No||No||No||Yes, with unlimited free guests||No|
|Roadside Assistance||No||No||No||No||No||4 free uses per year||No|
|US Car Rental CDW Coverage||Secondary||Secondary||Secondary||Secondary||Secondary||Primary||Secondary|
|Emergency Medical and Dental when traveling||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||No|
|Trip Delay Reimbursement||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Trip Cancellation and Interruption Insurance||No||No||No||No||No||Yes||Yes|
|Baggage Insurance, extended warranty, and purchase protection||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|