A month ago, I wrote about the transformation of the SPG AMEX from a card that offers an excellent return on everyday spending to a card that offers valuable perks but less valuable points for spending.
The value of Starpoints/Marriott points won’t go down, but the card will offer fewer points per dollar spent.
Currently you earn an effective 3 Marriott points (1 Starpoint) per dollar spent on the card, but effective for purchases made on or after 8/1 that will drop to just 2 Marriott points (0.67 Starpoints) per dollar. If you enjoy the versatility of Starpoints for transferring points to dozens of airlines, this change will kill that. Instead of a minimum of 1.25 airline miles per dollar spent, you’ll earn just 0.84 airline miles per dollar spent.
There will be a 6 month period with amazing incredible hotel bargains, which will mean in the short term the value of Starpoints/Marriott points should actually go up. Alas, next February those bargains will vanish.
Additionally, new airlines will be added for point transfers, like El Al, JetBlue, Qantas, and Southwest. That could make the value of points go up as well. But it won’t go up enough enough to make up for the 33% loss in earning power on the SPG AMEX in August.
Personally, I’ve shifted all of my everyday spending from my Freedom Unlimited/Quadfecta strategy to my Starwood card. I’ll switch back on 8/1, but until that point I think it’s worth racking up the Starpoints while the getting is good.
After 8/1 I may use my Starwood card at Marriott/Starwood hotels for 6 Marriott points per dollar and at gas stations for 4 Marriott points per dollar, but other than that I’ll just enjoy the annual free night and other benefits it comes with while the card gets downgraded from the front of my wallet to the back of my sock drawer. The annual free night will be worth more than the annual fee, but the card will no longer hold a compelling value for everyday spend as it has for more than the past decade.
Have you shifted spending towards the SPG AMEX since last month’s announcement about the changes coming in August?
Short on Starpoints?
You can buy up to 30,000 Starpoints per year here. Plus you can buy more than 30K with multiple members by transferring points for free between members living at the same address. Read more about that option here.
- Earn Starpoints on the new Chase Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card with a limited time 100,000 Marriott point signup bonus. Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other hotel cards!
- Earn Starpoints on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other hotel cards!
- Earn Starpoints on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express. Click Here to get more details on this card and compare to other hotel cards!
Related Marriott-SPG merger posts:
- Get A 100,000 Point Signup Bonus On The Chase Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card!
- Live Blog: Follow The Marriott-Starwood Program Merger Announcement!
- 3 Starwood AMEX Cards In The New Marriott Program: A Comparison Chart Of The Good, The Bad, And The Horrific
- Comparison Chart: How Marriott’s August 2018 And February 2019 Award Chart Compares With The Current SPG And Marriott Award Charts
- Marriott Got Almost Everything Perfect, But The Starwood AMEX Cuts Are Just Too Painful
- Rack Up The Starpoints While You Still Can: There Will Be 6 Months Of Amazing Starwood Hotel Bargains!
- No Marriott, The Starwood AMEX Card Will Not Be Richer Than Ever. You Are Just Changing What I’ll Use It For
- Starwood-Marriott Merger FAQs: Answers To Your Questions About Anniversary Nights, Status From Existing Cards, And More
- The Starwood Consumer AMEX And Multiple Chase Marriott Cards Are Being Discontinued! Here’s What You Need To Know About 9 Starwood And Marriott Cards
- Will The Starwood Cards Disappear Or Lose Their Starpoints Signup Bonuses Today? Now Is The Time To Signup If You Don’t Have These Cards Yet!
- AMEX: 3 Starwood Cards Will Be Available For New Applications After The SPG-Marriott Program Merger In August
- Guesstimating Where Marriott Travel Packages Will Work In August; Take Advantage Of Marriott’s Lucrative Miles+Nights Packages Now!
- A Week Later, But No Solid Answers To 3 Contradictory Marriott-Starwood Merger Details That Everyone Wants To Know
- Marriott Clarifies Contradictory SPG Gold Information
- Roundup Of The SPG/Marriott Lifetime Status Rules; Will You Be Able To Hit Lifetime Status This Year Before The Lifetime Program Is Devalued?