DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Update: This offer tonight, be sure to register if you’re going to take advantage of it!
- Limited Time Offer: Earn Up To 65,000 Miles On My Favorite Airline Credit Card; How To Take Advantage Of United’s Most Generous Awards
- Limited Time Offer: Earn Up To 100,000 Miles On The Awesome Chase United Explorer Business Card!
Originally posted on 10/10.
- The promotion runs through 11/30. It is run by United, so you won’t see any mention of it on the hotel’s points site or during the transfer process. As long as you initiate the transfer by 11/30 you will get the bonus from United.
- United will add 30% bonus miles for all transfers from hotel programs made between 10/9-11/30.
- You can earn up to 25K bonus miles with this promotion per United account.
- Transfers from Radisson will get a 50% bonus.
United will add the bonus miles by 1/30/20.
Hotel point transfers to airlines are generally not worthwhile even with this bonus, with the exception of Marriott.
You can transfer 60K Marriott Rewards points into 27.5K United miles. United will add 30% more miles by 1/30/20, leaving you with 35,750 miles.
- You can earn Marriott points with the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold Consumer Card, Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Consumer Card, Marriott Bonvoy Business AMEX, and the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Consumer AMEX. You can view a chart comparing these 4 cards here.
Note that more than a year after the SPG merger, Marriott’s mileage conversion tool still doesn’t account for the 15K bonus Marriott points they add onto a transfer when you transfer in increments of 60K points, but those points will be added. The tool calculates 60K points as converting into 22K United miles at the 3:1.1 ratio (or 20K miles with other airlines at the 3:1 ratio) but you’ll actually get 27.5K United miles (or 25K miles with other airlines) for every 60K points transferred thanks to the 15K bonus Marriott points that will be added onto that transfer.
If you want to come close to maximizing this promotion you can transfer 180K Marriott points to United the tool will say you’ll get 66,000 United miles, but you’ll actually get 82,500 United miles due to the bonus 45K Marriott points you’ll get for making the transfer in 3 increments of 60K points. United will add 24,750 bonus miles by 1/30/20, leaving you with 107,250 miles.
If you value Marriott points at 0.65 cents each, 180K Marriott points would be worth $1,170. You would get 107,250 United miles from a transfer of 180K Marriott points. At that valuation, you’re looking at an effective cost of 1.09 cents per United mile, which is an excellent deal! Of course this depends on what value you typically get for your Marriott points and United miles.
Another possible option is with Marriott’s miles+nights travel packages. 7 nights at a category 1-4 hotel and 71.5K United miles would cost 255K Marriott points. 7 nights at a category 1-4 hotel and 135K United miles would cost 330K Marriott points.
Will you transfer points to United with this promo?