Update, 6/16: I wasn’t able to link my AMEX card with my existing Qantas account, so I transferred points from AMEX to a new Qantas account. Despite not getting bonus promo email on the new account, it still got the extra 20% bonus today, for a combined 44% bonus!
Commenters are also reporting that you can add a “000” before your Qantas number in case you have problems linking your Qantas account with AMEX.
Did you get your additional bonus?
Originally posted on 6/13:
Multiple DDF members are reporting that in addition to the instant 20% bonus for transferring AMEX points to Qantas, Qantas is adding another 20% on top of the transfer amount a day later.
DDF member NJDevil transferred 61K AMEX points on Qantas on 6/10 and instantly got 73,200 Qantas points after the 20% transfer bonus. Qantas then added another 20% bonus of 14,640 points the next day. He got 87,840 Qantas points from the 61K AMEX transfer, an effective 44% transfer bonus!
Many of members reported the same experience with Qantas adding a 20% bonus on top of the AMEX 20% bonus.
I got an email from Qantas saying that they would add an additional 20% within 48 hours of transfers from AMEX, which makes it seem like this is a separate promotions from the AMEX 20% transfer bonus.
It’s unclear if getting both promotions is intentional or not. Officially Qantas says that promotions can’t be stacked, though that is not always enforced.
There is no need to be targeted for these promotions, though Qantas may stop awarding the extra 20% bonus. Qantas can also claw back the extra 20% bonus should they feel like it.
Of course many members have also been targeted for a 15%-30% transfer bonus after making their first transfer, though those points aren’t expected to post until July. We’ll have to see if that will stack on top of these promotions as well.
This is amazing for travel to Israel as Qantas has a fantastic award chart for travel on El Al.
54.5K AMEX points will transfer into 78,480 Qantas points after the 44% bonus, which is more than enough for the 78K points needed for a one-way business class flight between NYC and Tel Aviv in business class!
DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post.
Want to earn Qantas points from AMEX cards?
AMEX cards with transferable Membership Rewards points include:
- AMEX Blue Business Plus
- AMEX Platinum Business
- $595 annual fee, up to 75K points welcome bonus, earn 1.5 points per dollar on $5K+ transactions, $200 in annual airline fee credits, $200 in annual Dell credits, 1 year WeWork Global Office Space, Marriott and Hilton Gold status, 35% points rebate on paid airfare redemptions, Global Entry/Pre-check, AMEX Global lounge collection access.
- For rates and fees of the AMEX Platinum Business Card, please visit here.
- AMEX Gold Business Card
- AMEX Gold Consumer Card
- $250 annual fee, 40K points welcome bonus, $100 in annual airline fee credits, earn up to 4 points per dollar.
- AMEX Platinum Consumer Card
- $550 annual fee, up to 60K points welcome bonus, earn 5 points per dollar on airfare, $200 in annual airline fee credits, up to $200 in annual Uber credit, up to $100 in annual Saks credit, Marriott and Hilton Gold status, Global Entry/Pre-check, AMEX Global lounge collection access.
- AMEX Everyday Preferred Consumer Card
- $95 annual fee, up to 20K points welcome bonus, earn between 1.5-4.5 points per dollar everywhere with 30+ monthly transactions.
- AMEX Everyday Consumer Card
- No annual fee, up to 15K points welcome bonus, earn between 1.2-2.4 points per dollar everywhere with 20+ monthly transactions.