DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Earlier today I wrote about El Al’s plans to launch Tel Aviv-Tokyo/NRT service on March 1, 2023.
I just took a peek at the flight’s award availability via Qantas and every date that I spot checked had availability in all 3 cabins! Economy will set you back 37.8K miles, premium is 70.8K, and business is 90K miles each way with no fuel surcharges.
Currently there is also a 20% bonus for transfers from AMEX to Qantas, so economy will set you back 31.5K AMEX points, premium is 59K, and business is 75K AMEX points each way.
There is availability to visit during Japan’s famous cherry blossom season in March-April or later in the spring through the flight’s end of scheduling in June.
You could potentially even redeem miles from the US to Japan, where availability is much better and less expensive than to Israel, and then book an award to Israel.
You can transfer AMEX, Capital One, or Citi points instantly to Qantas.
- Capital One Venture X Card: Earn 75,000 bonus miles for spending $4,000 in 3 months, plus earn 2 miles per dollar spent, $300 annual travel credit, 10K anniversary bonus miles, Global Entry/Pre-Check, Capital One lounge access, Priority Pass Lounge membership, and more. Read more here.
- Capital One Venture: Earn 75,000 bonus miles for spending $4,000 in 3 months, plus 2 miles per dollar spent. Read more here.
- Capital One Spark Miles: Earn 50,000 bonus miles, plus 2 miles per dollar spent.
- Capital One Spark Cash Plus Card: Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles, plus 2 miles per dollar spent, convertible into transferrable miles with any of the 3 cards above. Read more here.
If you or a friend has one of the following Citi cards, you can transfer points into miles:
- Citi Premier has a 80,000 point bonus for spending $4,000 in 3 months, 3 points per dollar on airfare, hotels, travel agents, groceries, gas, and dining. $95 annual fee. Read more here.
Citi no-annual fee cards that are fantastic for earning points, but require a Citi Premier card for points transfers include:
- The Citi Double Cash card offers 2% cash back or 2 points per dollar spent everywhere that can be transferred into ThankYou points. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles. No annual fee. Read more here.
- The Citi Custom Cash Card offers 5 points per dollar on up to $500 in purchases in your top eligible spending category each billing cycle. This is marketed as 5% cash back, but will actually come in the form of 5 ThankYou points per dollar spent! Eligible categories include Restaurants, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs, and Live Entertainment. You will also get 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months. No annual fee. Read more here.
- The Citi Rewards+ Card offering 20,000 points for spending $1,500 in 3 months plus 5 points per dollar on dining. This card can’t transfer points on its own, but can transfer points if you have one of the Citi cards above. This card automatically rounds up rewards earned on every purchase to the nearest 10 points, meaning you earn 10 points on a $0.50 Amazon balance reload. Earn 2 points on $6K in annual spending at supermarkets, and a 10% points rebate when you redeem points, up to a 10K points rebate per year. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles and get a 10% points rebate on transferred or redeemed miles. No annual fee. Read more here.
AMEX cards with transferable Membership Rewards points include:
- AMEX Blue Business Plus
- AMEX Platinum Business
- AMEX Gold Business Card
- AMEX Gold Consumer Card
- AMEX Green Consumer Card
- AMEX Platinum Consumer Card
- AMEX Everyday Preferred Consumer Card
- AMEX Everyday Consumer Card
Will you book travel to Tokyo on El Al?