Table of Contents
For a limited time only, you can signup for the Citi Premier Card and earn a highest ever bonus offer of 80K Citi ThankYou points for opening this card and spending $4,000 in 3 months. Those points are worth a minimum of $800-$888 cash back, but they can be worth much more as shown below.
For example you can fly on United round-trip to Hawaii for 15K miles in coach (13.5K after a 10% rebate if you have a no-fee Citi Rewards+) or 25K miles in business (22.5K after a 10% rebate), based on saver award space availability.
Or you can fly on United round-trip to Israel for 64K miles in coach (57.6K after a 10% rebate) or 94K miles in business (84.6K after a 10% rebate), based on saver award space availability. That means you can potentially fly round-trip in business class after just meeting the spend threshold if you also have a Citi Rewards+.
The previous offer for this card was 60K points for spending $4,000 in 3 months.
There is a $95 annual fee, though the points and benefits are worth far more than that.
Signup bonus terms
- You can receive the bonus on this card if you haven’t received a bonus or closed the CitiRewards+, Citi ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier, or Citi Prestige card in the past 24 months.
- You can get the bonus even if you downgraded one of those cards in the past 24 months, as long as the card number remained the same.
- You can get the bonus even if you currently have those cards.
- You can get multiple of the same exact card, so you can apply for a Premier card and get the bonus even if you currently have a Premier card.
- Citi allows applications for 1 card every 8 days and 2 cards every 2 months.
- You can check application status at 866-252-0118 and you can call reconsideration if you’re denied at 800-695-5171.
Your Citi ThankYou points will not expire for as long as you remain a cardholder. If you transfer points to another member points will expire in 90 days.
- Earn 3 points per dollar on airfare. This includes all airfare as well as charges from online and retail travel agencies.
- Earn 3 points per dollar on hotels. This includes all hotels as well as charges from online and retail travel agencies.
- Earn 3 points per dollar on all charges from travel agencies.
- Earn 3 points per dollar on gas stations.
- Earn 3 points per dollar on supermarkets.
- Earn 3 points per dollar on dining. Dining includes coffee shops, cafes, bar, lounges, and restaurants.
- Earn 1 point per dollar elsewhere.
- There are no foreign transaction fees.
Annual Hotel Savings Benefit
- Once per calendar year, you can get $100 off of a $500+ hotel stay booked via Citi.
- Reservations can be made in the primary cardmember’s or authorized users’ names.
- If you cancel a booking made with $100 you can take advantage of it again in the same calendar year.
- Extended warranty of 24 months on top of manufacturer’s warranty, for a total coverage period up to 7 years and up to $10,000.
- Damage and theft protection for 90 days on items up to $10,000
Virtual card numbers
While Citi co-branded cards like their AA cards no longer offer virtual card numbers, their ThankYou cards like Rewards+ still do.
With a virtual card number you can set a dollar limit and/or expiration date to generate a one-time use credit card number so that you don’t keep getting charged for subscriptions or have your real card number stolen, among myriad other potential uses.
Citi has 3 excellent no annual fee cards that pair perfectly with a Premier card. Any of them paired with the Premier card will make for a great bifecta, trifecta, or quadfecta:
With the Citi Double Cash Card you earn 2 ThankYou points per dollar everywhere. You can cash these out for 2% cash back or you can combine a Double Cash card with a Premier card and you’ll also be able to earn 3 points on dollar on gas, dining, groceries, airfare, hotels, and travel agents, plus have the ability to transfer points into airline miles and hotel points. You will also get 0% APR on balance transfers for 18 months.
The Citi Custom Cash Card offers 5 points per dollar on up to $500 in purchases in your top eligible spending category each billing cycle. This is marketed as 5% cash back, but will actually come in the form of 5 ThankYou points per dollar spent! Eligible categories include Restaurants, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs, and Live Entertainment. You will also get 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.
The Citi Rewards+ Card automatically rounds up rewards earned on every purchase to the nearest 10 points, meaning you will earn 10 points on a $0.50 Amazon balance reload, which is equal to earning 20 points per dollar spent! You will also get 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.
Having a Citi Rewards+ Card also gets you a 10% points rebate when you redeem points, up to a 10K points rebate per year. While the Rewards+ card doesn’t transfer points into most airline miles, if you have a Citi Premier card and a Rewards+ card you’ll even get a 10% rebate on mileage transfers!
You can freely convert between all of these card products, as well as to most other Citi cards!
Closing a ThankYou point card means you can’t get a bonus on a ThankYou point card for 24 months, so you should always choose to change to another card instead of closing it. Ask the agent if your card number will remain the same so that you will still be eligible for more signup bonuses.
You can redeem points for cash back in the form of a statement credit at a rate of 1 cent per point.
If you also have a Citi Rewards+ Card you’ll also earn a 10% rebate on up to 100K redeemed ThankYou points.
In other words if you spend on a Citi Double Cash Card to earn 2% back everywhere and have a Citi Premier Card to cash out ThankYou points and have a Citi Rewards+ Card for a 10% rebate, you’ll can get an effective 2.2% cash back everywhere.
If you spend on a Citi Custom Cash Card to earn 5% back in your top categories and have a Citi Premier Card to cash out ThankYou points and have a Citi Rewards+ Card for a 10% rebate, you’ll can get an effective 5.5% cash back.
You can redeem points for gift cards to dozens of stores at 1 cent each, but Citi also runs promotions where you can get 10-20% off gift cards.
If you also have a Citi Rewards+ Card you’ll earn a 10% rebate on up to 100K redeemed and transferred ThankYou points.
- Aer Lingus, via Qatar: 1K:1K (40% bonus through 6/30)
- Aeromexico (Skyteam): 1K:1K
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue (Skyteam): 1K:1K
- Avianca Lifemiles (Star Alliance): 1K:1K
- British Airways, via Qatar (OneWorld): 1K:1K (40% bonus through 6/30)
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (OneWorld): 1K:1K
- Emirates: 1K:1K
- Etihad: 1K:1K
- EVA (Star Alliance): 1K:1K
- Garuda Indonesia (Skyteam): 1K:1K
- Iberia, via Qatar (OneWorld): 1K:1K (40% bonus through 6/30)
- Intermiles: 1K:1K
- JetBlue: 1K:1K
- Malaysia (OneWorld): 1K:1K
- Qantas (OneWorld): 1K:1K
- Qatar (OneWorld): 1K:1K (40% bonus through 6/30)
- Singapore (Star Alliance): 1K:1K
- Thai (Star Alliance): 1K:1K
- Turkish (Star Alliance): 1K:1K
- Virgin Atlantic: 1K:1K
- Choice Privileges: 1K:2K
- Wyndham: 1K:1K
Don’t want to transfer miles? You can also redeem for any paid travel at a value of 1 cent per point.
You can also transfer points between any Citi cardholders to transfer points into miles.
Sample mileage uses:
As I’ve written about before, Turkish Airlines has a ridiculously generous Star Alliance award chart.
And they don’t charge any fuel surcharges for United flights.
Here is the North America version of the chart with one-way award pricing:
|Between the US and:||Economy||Business||First|
|US, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and USVI||7.5K||12.5K||N/A|
|Central and North Africa||30K||49K||73K|
|Southern Africa and Far East||45K||67.5K||100K|
|South America and Oceania||52.5K||75K||115K|
As part of the Star Alliance, Turkish can book award travel on airlines like United and Air Canada.
You can open a Turkish Airlines mileage account online (Hint: Your password must be exactly 6 numbers or else it will give an error).
And you can book Star Alliance awards with Turkish miles here (Login and then click this link again). You can’t search for partner awards from their home page. Search for one-way at a time for best results.
For example you can transfer miles to Turkish Airlines to fly from the US to Tel Aviv on United for just 32K points, or 28.8K points in coach after the 10% rebate with a Rewards+ card:
- Fly one-way anywhere in the US, including Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and USVI, for just 7.5K miles in coach or 12.5K in business class on United with no fuel surcharges.
NYC to Miami in economy for 7.5K or business for 12.5K:
LA to NYC in economy for 7.5K or lie-flat business for 12.5K:
LA to Kauai in economy for 7.5K or business for 12.5K:
- Fly one-way anywhere in the US to Canada or Mexico for just 10K miles in coach or 15K in business class on United with no fuel surcharges.
NYC to Cancun in economy for 10K or business for 15K:
- Fly one-way to Europe for 45K in business class on United with no fuel surcharges.
NYC to Milan in economy for 30K or business for 45K:
With Qantas miles you can redeem for El Al award tickets without any fuel surcharges! You read more about this option here. Plus there have been transfer bonuses in the past.
- A one-way coach ticket from NYC to Tel Aviv on El Al is 37.8K Qantas miles and there are no fuel surcharges.
- A one-way premium economy ticket from NYC to Tel Aviv on El Al is 70.8K Qantas miles and there are no fuel surcharges.
- A one-way business class ticket from NYC to Tel Aviv on El Al is 90K Qantas miles and there are no fuel surcharges.
You can also redeem for tickets on American:
- A one-way coach ticket from NYC to Tel Aviv on AA is 31.5K Qantas miles plus $323.
- A one-way business class ticket from NYC to Tel Aviv on AA is 82K Qantas miles plus $323.
Avianca Lifemiles: Awards on United start at just 6.5K miles and as low as 5.2K miles with frequent 25% transfer bonuses.
Flying Blue: Fly from Los Angeles to Tahiti in lie-flat business class for 64K miles. 37K Flying Blue miles is enough to fly nonstop on Delta between North America and Israel.
Emirates: With 135K Emirates miles you can fly round-trip in A380 Shower Class from JFK to Milan. With 217.5K Emirates miles you can fly round-trip in A380 Shower Class from JFK to Dubai.
View this post on Instagram
JetBlue: Book awards with free cancellations.
Cathay Pacific: Avoid and lower fuel surcharges on partner airlines like AA and BA. With 90K Cathay Pacific Asia Miles miles you can book a round-trip business class award between North America and Europe.
Singapore: Book highly rated premium cabin or suites on Singapore flights that are blocked with partner miles.
Virgin Atlantic: Bargains on ANA First Class suites and on Delta flights. 7.5K Virgin Atlantic miles is enough for a Delta short-haul flight and 50K is enough to fly nonstop on Delta between North America and Israel.
You only need 55K Virgin Atlantic miles to fly one-way between the US west coast and Japan or 60K miles to fly one-way between the US east coast and Japan in first class.
Will you signup for a Citi Premier Card?