As part of United’s award chart changes that are coming on Wednesday, they will only charge 8,000 miles to fly one-way on a nonstop flight within any single region outside of the US/Canada on a partner airline, as long as the flight is less than 800 miles in distance.
These new short-haul awards are now bookable on United.com!
Here are some sample routes that qualify for this new award type:
- Central America: Panama to Liberia, Costa Rica on COPA will drop from 12.5K to 8K miles.
- Northern South America: Quito to Bogota on Avianca will drop from 12.5K to 8K miles.
- Southern South America: Rio de Janeiro to Iguassu Falls/IGU on Avianca will drop from 12.5K to 8K miles.
- Europe: Zurich to Venice on Swiss will drop from 15K to 8K miles.
- Middle East: Cairo to Amman on EgyptAir will drop from 17.5K to 8K miles.
- North Asia: Seoul to Beijing on Asiana will drop from 15K to 8K miles.
- Central Asia: Bangalore, India to the Maldives on Air India will drop from 17.5K to 8K miles.
- South Asia: Ho Chi Minh City to Singapore on Singapore will drop from 17.5K to 8K miles.
- Southern Africa: Johannesburg to Cape Town on South African will drop from 17.5K to 8K miles.
- Australia/New Zealand: Auckland to Queenstown, New Zealand on Air New Zealand will drop from 17.5K to 8K miles.
Note that while coach prices have dropped, business/first prices are still the same:
You can check the distance between any 2 airports using GCMap.com. For example a flight from Singapore to Ho Chi Minh City is just 676 miles in distance, so it qualifies for an 8K award:
Japan is its own region and flights within Japan are available for just 5K miles each way.
Hawaii is also its own region and flights within Hawaii are currently available for 6K miles each way, but that will be going up to 7K miles each way starting on 11/1.
The 8K award is not available within the US or Canada.
A United flight within the United States or between the United States and Canada that are less than 700 miles in distance is available for 10K miles one-way. Flights are Air Canada are excluded. It’s worth noting that this can be a connecting or nonstop flight, but United will still only charge 10K miles even if the connecting flight would make the flight distance more than 700 miles. That’s because United only looks at the nonstop distance between the origin and destination airports for this award. In other words I can fly from Cleveland to Kansas City for 10K miles even if I fly via Chicago, which would put the actual flight distance at 719 miles. That’s due to the fact that the theoretical nonstop flight distance from Cleveland to Kansas City is under 700 miles.
Alas, that leaves domestic flights within Canada without any discounted short-haul flight option when using United miles.
Will you be booking any 8K awards? What 8K award bargains can you find? Hit the comments!