Update 2: We used Random.org to pick 5 lucky winners and they are:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your prize and thanks to everyone who participated!
Update: The raffle will take place and winners will be announced tonight.
Originally posted 7/9.
Change isn’t easy.
It wasn’t easy in August 2007 when I switched from “ctownbochur.com” to “DansDeals.com.”
But people don’t like change.
“It’s too corporate sounding.” “We miss the blogspot format.”
But people got used to things and site traffic has grown by 10,000% in the past decade.
As the years went by the good old site became more and more outdated. The look and feel didn’t change much from when it launched in 2007. It wasn’t mobile friendly, it didn’t have working menus, and it didn’t have a memorable brand logo.
When I launched DansDeals there was no such thing as an iPhone or Android smartphone. Today, more than half of the site traffic comes from mobile devices.
It was time to get with the times.
The new DansDeals site is responsive, mobile friendly, and there are lots of bells and whistles that you can read about here.
- You can use the settings gear to switch to legacy mode reading, where you can read the full posts rather than having to click to open a post. There’s even a skip to next post button in legacy mode to make your browsing even better than before.
- The settings gear also allows you to hide expired deals in case you don’t want to see what you’ve missed out on.
- You can now reply to individual comments, making it much easier to find answers for your questions.
- The new menu system makes is easier to find posts that you are looking for. The credit cards menu will connect you with our partner at CreditCards.com and applying for credit cards via those links helps keep this site running. Your support is most appreciated!
- There is a Forum menu that will take you right to the DansDeals Forum boards you are looking for. The forums are home to everything from breaking deals to amazing trip reports from around the world. They are an incredible resource for any traveler or bargain hunter.
Many months of planning went into the creation of the new website. I think the new logo, created by Yossi Belkin, beautifully captures the essence of DansDeals.
Jack Vershubsky (DDF: Suave) of Swizu web design has done a great job putting together a fresh take on DansDeals, while adding in features like legacy mode to keep the old timers happy, hide expired deals, scroll to next post, and many more on top of the clean new layout.
Baruch Hayman (DDF: BAHayman) has been helping keep DansDeals up and running for years, especially in the face of crushing traffic when there is an amazing deal. His willingness to help out at all hours of the day and night is nothing short of astounding.
My brother JJ (DDF: jj1000) has spent countless days and nights coordinating the creation of the new site. It would have never happened without him.
Staying the course is easy, change is hard. Even if it takes time to get used to the new format, I hope you’ll stick around and learn to love it with time.
We’re making even more improvements and working out the bugs, so your feedback is always appreciated.
Of course none of this would be possible without our readers, so thanks again for being a part of the DansDeals community!
As a small token of our appreciation, if you like the DansDeals Facebook page here and share this post on Facebook, you will be automatically entered to win one of 5 $100 Amazon gift cards that we will raffle off later this week.