Update: Bumping this post as a reminder for 2019!
Originally posted on 3/23/18:
DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post.
Amazon Subscribe & Save is a great way to save money. If you subscribe to an item you can save 5%-20% off the regular price of the item.
How to properly push off a delivery:
With Pesach around the corner it’s important to check your upcoming subscriptions to make sure you’re not going to receive food items over the holiday.
When pushing off the delivery of an item it’s important to do so by changing the delivery date of your subscription rather than skipping the item from your order.
Don’t press skip:
When you push the skip button it will move the item from this month’s subscription to next month’s subscription. However it will also cancel the original order you made and invalidate any coupons or sales that you took advantage of. You will pay the regular price when the item ships with your next order without any coupon savings!
Instead, you should change the date of your subscription delivery by clicking on “Change delivery date” and selecting a new date. This preserves the sale price and coupons used in your original order:
Note that items often arrive several days before the schedule delivery day, so allow for time after Pesach when using this method.
Of course there are other reasons to change your date besides for Pesach.
- You can keep pushing off a subscription delivery date until you have 5 items in your order. Once you have 5 items in your order you will retroactively save 15% on everything in that subscription delivery. Note that all 5 items must be shipped to the same address to get 15% off.
- You can choose the next available delivery day to expedite your order to ship as soon as possible and still save 5-20% off the items.
Amazon is limiting when some accounts see the Subscribe & Save options, but there are workarounds:
For example on the current deal for 8 Boxes Of Amazon Brand Solimo Pasta, Elbows, Penne, Spaghetti, And More For $6.49-$7.49. It says that the first delivery will be on 4/19, so if you click subscribe now it just adds it to your cart with a 5% discount and sets you up to subscribe after your first order.
However you can click on “Change” as shown in the red box below:
You will then get this pop-up asking if you want to get it with your next subscription order or to get it sooner.
Here are some other Subscribe & Save tips:
- Carefully manage your subscriptions here to be aware of any surprises before they ship.
- If you want multiples of the same item, create a separate subscription for each one. If you subscribe to multiple items in one order then it will only count as 1 item towards the 5 required to unlock bigger discounts. However if you subscribe to them in separate orders then each item will count towards the 5 item requirement.
- When you subscribe to an item only because of a sale or coupon, be sure to cancel future subscriptions after you get the email that your item shipped. If you don’t cancel the item after it ships you’ll keep receiving it in future orders without coupons or sale pricing. The regular pricing at the time of the new shipment will apply for all subscriptions after your first subscription ships.
- Add-on items that require a $25+ order will ship free when you subscribe to them when that option is available.
- If you have Amazon Prime, don’t forget to signup for Amazon Family for free. If you have 5 total subscriptions you’ll get 20% off Diapers, baby food, and more!
- Look for filler subscriptions to get to 5 items. With inexpensive filler items you can wind up saving more than the cost of the item as all of your subscriptions will drop in price! For example, TetraColor Tropical Flakes Fish Food will be just $1.67 with 5 subscriptions, Smead ETS Color-Coded Year Labels will be just $1.24 with 5 subscriptions, Avery 75225 Triangle Shaped Sheet Lifter for Three-Ring Binder, Black (Pack of 2) will be just $1.67 with 5 subscriptions, Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint (2 oz), Turquoise will be just $0.83 with 5 subscriptions, TetraFin Balanced Diet Goldfish Flake Food will be just $1.13 with 5 subscriptions, Pac-Kit by First Aid Only Chloride Antiseptic Towelette (Box of 10) will be just $0.99 with 5 subscriptions, etc. Post what Subscribe & Save filler items you find!
- If you have Amazon Prime you can share Prime with another household member. Amazon coupons are typically limited to just one use per account, but with 2 accounts you can take advantage of coupons on each account. Just don’t forget to watch the subscriptions on both accounts!
- Don’t forget that you can save even more if you have a Chase Ink Cash Business Card or Ink Plus card and get 5 points per dollar spent. Or use your AMEX SimplyCash Card to earn 5% cash back. by buying Amazon gift cards from an office supply store. You’ll earn 5 point per dollar and those points can easily be redeemed for air travel or hotel stays that make this an effective 7.5-10% rebate on your Amazon purchases. Read this post for more info.
- Save 10%-15% off Amazon purchases with an Amazon Mover’s coupon!
Have any more Subscribe & Save tips? Hit the comments!Amazon offers free shipping with $25+ orders or get free 2nd day shipping on all orders with a free trial of Amazon Prime. A prime trial is also free with Amazon Family (which also gets you up to 20% off diapers among other benefits) or Amazon Student. EBT Cardholders can save on Prime Membership here.