Update: Bumping this post as a reminder to review your subscribe and save items orders before Pesach 2021! It is a good habit to check the page at least once a month to review your current subscriptions.
Please Note: The post below is outdated for some accounts as there are many reports of getting charged a higher price for items when changing the delivery date for subscriptions, while there are also some reports the instructions below are still valid. Best practice may be to cancel subscription items and reorder them when they go on sale.
Originally posted: 3/23/18.
Amazon Subscribe & Save is a great way to save money. If you subscribe to an item you can save 5%-20% off the regular price of the item.
How to properly push off a delivery:
With Pesach around the corner it’s important to check your upcoming subscriptions to make sure you’re not going to receive food items over the holiday.
When pushing off the delivery of an item it’s important to do so by changing the delivery date of your subscription rather than skipping the item from your order.
Don’t press skip:
Normally when you subscribe to an item you lock in the pricing for your first shipment. When you push the skip button it will move the item from this month’s subscription to next month’s subscription. However it will also cancel the original order you made and invalidate any coupons or sales that you took advantage of. You will pay the regular price when the item ships with your next order without any coupon savings!
Instead, you should change the date of your subscription delivery by clicking on “Settings” and then clicking on the “Arrive by” date. This preserves the sale price and coupons used in your original order:
Note that items often arrive several days before the schedule delivery day, so allow for time after Pesach when using this method.
Of course there are other reasons to change your date besides for Pesach.
- You can keep pushing off a subscription delivery date until you have 5 items in your order. Once you have 5 items in your order you will retroactively save 15% on everything in that subscription delivery. Note that all 5 items must be shipped to the same address to get 15% off.
- You can choose the next available delivery day to expedite your order to ship as soon as possible and still save 5-20% off the items.
Here are some other Subscribe & Save tips:
- Carefully manage your subscriptions here to be aware of any surprises before they ship.
- If an item is being added to your cart instead of the subscribe and save checkout, you need to click “Change” by the first delivery date. See how to do that here.
- You can save 5% by agreeing to future subscriptions and get a no-rush shipping credit. See how to do that here.
- If you want multiples of the same item, create a separate subscription for each one. If you subscribe to multiple items in one order then it will only count as 1 item towards the 5 required to unlock bigger discounts. However if you subscribe to them in separate orders then each item will count towards the 5 item requirement.
- When you subscribe to an item only because of a sale or coupon, be sure to cancel future subscriptions after you get the email that your item shipped. If you don’t cancel the item after it ships you’ll keep receiving it in future orders without coupons or sale pricing. The regular pricing at the time of the new shipment will apply for all subscriptions after your first subscription ships.
- Add-on items that require a $25+ order will ship free when you subscribe to them when that option is available.
- If you have Amazon Prime, don’t forget to signup for Amazon Family for free. If you have 5 total subscriptions you’ll get 20% off Diapers, baby food, and more!
- Look for filler subscriptions to get to 5 items. With inexpensive filler items you can wind up saving more than the cost of the item as all of your subscriptions will drop in price! For example, TetraColor Tropical Flakes Fish Food will be just $1.67 with 5 subscriptions, Avery 75225 Triangle Shaped Sheet Lifter for Three-Ring Binder, Black (Pack of 2) will be just $1.67 with 5 subscriptions, etc. Post what Subscribe & Save filler items you find!
- If you have Amazon Prime you can share Prime with another household member. Amazon coupons are typically limited to just one use per account, but with 2 accounts you can take advantage of coupons on each account. Just don’t forget to watch the subscriptions on both accounts!
- Don’t forget that you can save even more if you have a Chase Ink Cash Business Card or Ink Plus card and get 5 points per dollar spent. By buying Amazon gift cards from an office supply store. You’ll earn 5 point per dollar and those points can easily be redeemed for air travel or hotel stays that make this an effective 7.5-10% rebate on your Amazon purchases. Read this post for more info.
- Save 10%-15% off Amazon purchases with an Amazon Mover’s coupon!
Have any more Subscribe & Save tips? Hit the comments!Amazon offers free shipping with $25+ orders or get free 1 day shipping on all orders with a free trial of Amazon Prime. A prime trial is also free with Amazon Family (which also gets you up to 20% off diapers among other benefits) or Amazon Student. EBT/Medicaid Cardholders can save on Prime Membership here.