There are 2 separate cards, the Starwood consumer and business card, however I will lump them together for this review due to their similarities.
The Starwood Consumer card is the best card to use for everyday spending, period. (As far as I can tell only the consumer card, not the business card, has the 90 day return privilege as outlined below.)
I ranked the Starwood card as follows in the following categories:
Best Credit Cards To Use And Spend To Earn Miles: #1 and #2
Best Credit Cards To Have For Miscellaneous Benefits: #4 and #5
Credit Cards Good For A One-Time Bonus: Tie-#3
-Signup Bonus: 10,000 points for the consumer card and 10,000 points for the business card.
-Annual fee: None for 1 year, $30 subsequent years.
-Signup Bonus Earned: After first purchase.
-Maximum points that can be earned in 1 year from spending: Unlimited.
Before applying for the Starwood card you should first become a Starwood Preferred Guest Member
Reasons for the #1 ranking in “Cards To Use And Spend To Earn Miles” category :
1. Points can be transferred into almost any mileage program in the world! Instead of having your miles tied into 1 airline, you can have the flexibility to move them into any airline right when you need to travel!!
2. You get 25% bonus miles when transferring at least 20,000 points into miles, i.e. 20,000 starwood points=25,000 miles on an airline of your choice!!
3. How do you get 20,000 points? Just apply for the consumer and business card and you’ll have the 20,000 points!
4. Unlike on most airline cards, the Starwood card has no limit to the amount of points that can be earned in a year.
5. Free hotel nights start at just 2,000 points!
6. (Almost) Anything you buy has a 90 day return privilege! Not happy with it? Return to Amex and get your money back!!!
7. (Almost) Anything you buy will get a free additional year of warranty support from Amex.
8. (Almost) Anything you buy will have a 90 day protection against accidental damage and theft.
Reasons for the #3 and #4 ranking in “Miscellaneous Benefits” category:
-90 Day return privilege for the consumer card.
-When you have the card you get Preferred Plus status in the Starwood Guest Program, which gets you:
-Guaranteed 4pm checkouts at any starwood property (sheraton, westin, etc.)
-Free point transfers between household starwood accounts
-A complimentary upgrade to a Preferred Room when available at check-in!
-4 miles per dollar spent at Starwood hotels.
-Spend $30,000 in a calandar year and get Starwood Gold status.
Reason for being ranked #3 in the “Credit Cards Good For A One-Time Bonus” category:
-Even if you don’t want to use the card, applying for the 2 cards will give you a free ticket on airline that you want!
-The starwood card is one of the only avenues for Americans to earn miles from a credit card on Cathay Pacific.
Cathay Pacific has some of the cheapest mileage awards in the industry, charging just 60,000 miles to go from New York to Europe in business class on its’ OneWorld partner, British Airways.
-You can get another 2,500 free points by calling up Amex after you get the card to add an additional fee-free cardholder to your account!
Questions, Suggestions, Errors? Please leave a comment!
Please do not post this article on any other website without explicit prior permission. Thank You!