A Starwood representative has just posted the following update on Marriott travel certificates:
On 8/18, our new Travel Package offering will launch along with our new loyalty program. After our loyalty programs become one, our new Travel Package award chart will go into effect and members will be able to book for packages at all 6,700 of our hotels.
If you currently have a Travel Package Certificate that’s not yet attached to a hotel reservation, you have the following options:
– If you know when you want to travel, make a new reservation or attach your certificate to an existing one prior to August 18, 2018.
– If you are still trying to plan that perfect trip, you can hold onto the certificate and will be able to add it to a reservation starting September 18, 2018.
Please note that you will not be able to modify your certificate for an existing reservation or attach it to a new one between August 18 and September 18, 2018. Please plan accordingly.
In other words, if you have a hotel certificate from a travel package you need to attach it to a hotel stay by 8/17 or else you won’t be able to do anything with it between 8/18-9/18. After 9/18 you will be able to add it to a hotel, though Marriott still won’t tell us which hotels will work with the different levels of certificates.
Phone reps have been telling people conflicting information about what exactly might happen. One commenter even shares that a Marriott rep told someone to check DansDeals for possibilities of what might happen!
In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if Marriott doesn’t know exactly how to handle things and if they don’t decide what to do until 9/18.
- With this update, it sure seems like Marriott is not going to go with options 1 or 2 from that post.
- Option 3 remains the strongest possibility, while options 4 and 5 are also possibilities.
- These packages are highly lucrative and will be going away for good in just a week or less time. I’d still advise attaching the certificate to a hotel where you might want to stay or at a hotel that is going up in cost.
Will you buy a travel package before they are devalued?
Related Marriott Travel Packages posts:
- Reader Questions: What Makes The Marriott Travel Packages So Lucrative And Which Category Should I Buy? A Comprehensive Guide.
- All About Marriott’s Lucrative Miles+Nights Travel Packages; The Best Way To Spend Your Starpoints.
- Guesstimating Where Marriott Travel Packages Will Work In August; Take Advantage Of Marriott’s Lucrative Miles+Nights Packages Now!
- Marriott Will Massively Devalue New Miles+Nights Travel Packages In August; Comparing The Value Of The Current Packages To The New Packages
- Another Guess At What Will Happen With Marriott’s Miles+Nights Travel Packages And Which You Should Buy Now Before It’s Too Late!
- Marriott Has No Plans On Letting Us Know What They Plan On Doing With Current Travel Packages, But Don’t Let That Stop You From Taking Advantage Of Them!
- Exploring The Options For A Partial Points Refund Of The Marriott Travel Packages, Which Package Should You Buy Now?
- Hunting Down The Marriott Hotels Getting More Expensive To Potentially Maximize Travel Certificates