Update, 1/25: I reached out to JetBlue this morning about the 15K points that is normally awarded upon Mosaic qualification for people who spent $15K on Q4 on their JetBlue Plus cards. JetBlue has now added those points into qualifying accounts, backdated to 12/31/21!
Update, 1/25: JetBlue has posted Mosaic status for spending $15K in 2021 Q4 on a JetBlue Plus card. Unfortunately, the 15K bonus points for reaching Mosaic were not awarded as part of that offer.
Update, 1/5: JetBlue has emailed many 2021 Mosaic members that they have extended their status through 12/31/22. While other airlines extended status before the year end, JetBlue was able to push members to qualify on their own before announcing the extension. Was your status extended?
Update, 1/5: The new benefits, including full rebates on EMS seating for Mosaics and FoundersCard membership, are now live!
Originally posted on 12/17/21:
Mosaic is not what it used to be.
Back when it cost hundreds of dollars to make flight changes, the main value of Mosaic was that it offered free changes. But in an era of free flight changes, Mosaic has found itself without many perks.
Worse yet, JetBlue charges Mosaic members a change fee on basic economy tickets, so that benefit is effectively dead.
JetBlue also ditched free Mosaic in-flight alcoholic beverages due to COVID-19.
They did add a sweet free companion offer earlier in 2021, but that benefit was not renewed.
Last year they massively devalued their Mosaic elite status by quadrupling the price of advance upgrades to Even More Space (EMS) seats without any warning.
JetBlue offers free EMS seats at the airport before your flight, but by that time you’re typically stuck with middle seat options and it’s nearly impossible for a family to be able to sit together.
Luckily between 1/5/22-12/31/22, JetBlue will charge no more than 200 points for EMS seats and they will give a 200 point rebate after the flight, making advance EMS seat assignments effectively free! This benefit applies to the Mosaic member and all companions on the same reservation. This benefit does not apply for basic economy bookings.
Mosaics will also get a FoundersCard base membership for free in 2022, but that is not a useful level.
Mosaics and companions will also get a complimentary upgrade to Business First on the Heathrow Express train.
JetBlue will also have a Mosaic+ top-tier elite level in 2022. Mosaic+ will offer 4 one-segment upgrades to MINT class, excluding flights to/from London. If you book a paid flight (even in basic economy) more than 96 hours in advance of the flight then you and one companion will be automatically put on a waitlist for an upgrade, which will clear at approximately 24 hours before a flight as long as there are seats for sale. If there are no seats for sale 24 hours before the flight when upgrades clear and seats then open up, you won’t be able to get upgraded. If you have more than one companion on the reservation then nobody will get upgraded. If you have one companion and only 1 seat in MINT is available then neither of you will get upgraded. If you don’t want an upgrade on a particular flight, you need to call JetBlue to be removed from the waitlist. All of this is rather indicative of JetBlue’s industry worst IT capabilities.
Mosaic+ members will also get FoundersCard Elite membership.
While other airlines are lowering the threshold to earn status on 2022, JetBlue is not.
You’ll need to earn 15,000 Mosaic qualifying points or 12,000 Mosaic qualifying points+30 flight segments in 2022 to earn Mosaic through 12/31/23. American flights credited to JetBlue also count towards earning status. Alternatively, you can spend $50,000 on a JetBlue Plus or JetBlue Business card.
If you want Mosaic+, you’ll need to earn a whopping 45,000 Mosaic qualifying points in 2022 or you can spend $150,000 on a JetBlue Plus or JetBlue Business card. Bizarrely though, you will only get regular Mosaic status for 2023 as the Mosaic+ level is only slated to exist in 2022. As it takes some time after you finish spending on your card to earn Mosaic status, there may not be much or any time at all for you to enjoy the Mosaic+ benefits before they expire at the end of the year. And that’s a ton of spending required for 4 one-segment upgrades!
You would be much better off putting that spending on Delta AMEX cards or American Airlines cards, which can now earn top-tier status with unlimited domestic upgrades and extra legroom seating through 3/31/24 for $200,000 in spending in 2022.
Published Mosaic benefits:
- 15K points upon qualification.
- If there is EMS seating available on the day of your flight, you can ask an airport agent for a free upgrade for you and everyone on your itinerary and most will grant it. If the ticketing agent won’t do it, you can always ask at the customer service center or at the gate. Of course that means risking not sitting together if you’re traveling with companions.
- From 1/5/22-12/31/22, the cost of EMS seating will be no more than 200 points and you will get a rebate of 200 points after the flight. This applies to the Mosaic member and all companions on the same booking. Basic economy fares are not eligible for EMS seating.
- In 2022 you will get a 12 month FoundersCard base membership.
- Complimentary upgrade to Business First on the Heathrow Express train for Mosaics and companions.
- 3 bonus points per dollar spent on JetBlue flights.
- First 2 bags free for you and all passengers on your itinerary.
- Free carry-on bags on basic economy fares for Mosaic member and companions.
- Same day confirmed flight changes (without paying difference in fare) and standby fees are waived for Mosaic members, even on basic economy. That means you can buy a cheaper flight and switch to a more expensive flight for free (even to a nearby co-airport) starting 24 hours before your original flight. Note that basic economy can’t be changed for free before 24 hours prior the flight.
- Priority Mosaic phone line (877-538-8783) with faster and better customer service when you enter your TrueBlue Mosaic number.
- Priority security line access.
- Priority boarding.
- Free on-board alcoholic drinks.
Mosaic+ published benefits:
- In 2022 you will get a 12 month FoundersCard elite membership.
- You will get 4 one-segment MINT upgrade certificates valid from 1/5/22-12/31/22 on paid fares booked more than 96 hours in advance of the flight, which will clear about 24 hours before the flight. Not valid on award tickets or on flights to/from London.
- No charge for suitcases weighing up to 70 pounds each.
- On rare occasions, some Mosaics have reported being upgraded for free to business mint class at the airport.
- Mosaic phone agents are also much more lenient when it comes to policy exceptions, though it may take some HUCAs.
- You may be able to match your status to other airlines, share your results in the comments!