- Find dozens of DansDeals trip reports here.
- Follow my travels and more on Instagram @DansDeals
- Find Trip Reports and contribute your own trip reports on DDF
- Find Destinations Threads and helpful travel wikis on DDF
- Follow Me To Antarctica
- Antarctica Trip Notes Part 1: Buenos Aires+Planning And Positioning For The Adventure Of A Lifetime.”
- Antarctica Trip Notes Part 2: Flying To End Of The World And Having The Southernmost Chanukah Party In Ushuaia
We’re currently cruising around Antarctica and will enter Shabbos somewhere around here.
One of my jobs has been figuring out the zmanim and of course those are incredibly complex in Antarctica.
Luckily, we’re not going to be far enough south to get into the real thorny questions of when to start Shabbos when there is no Shkia Haniris (sunset at the horizon) or Shkia Amitis (sunset below the horizon) as we will have a shkia according to all opinions. Of course had I known that beforehand I could have saved myself from hundreds of emails and calls figuring out exactly how to handle various scenarios based on our coordinates.
Over 50 of us will be spending Shabbos with gefilte fish, matzah ball soup, brisket, cholent, and of course a sefer torah during the Southernmost Shabbos Minyan on Earth.
Every day we set new records for the Southernmost Farbrengen and for the Southernmost Daf Yomi Shiur:
And even the Southernmost friendly poker game played on a deck of Continental Presidential Plus playing cards::
We’ll bring in an “Early” Shabbos at 9:20pm tonight, but it won’t end until 1:01am on Sunday!
On the bridge, plotting shabbos zmanim with the navigation officer:
To all of my readers that are north of me (And yes, that means everyone!), Shabbat Shalom!