DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Join the brand new DansDeals WhatsApp community here, where your phone number remains private!
There are 3 AMEX cards that give a credit to use for incidental fees on the airline of your choice.
- The AMEX Business Platinum Card offers a $200 annual airline fee credit. Read more about the card here.
- The AMEX Platinum Card offers a $200 annual airline fee credit. Read more about the card here.
- The AMEX Hilton Aspire Card offers a $250 annual airline fee credit. Read more about the card here.
While Chase Sapphire Reserve allows you to use travel credit for anything travel related, AMEX is far more restrictive.
You need to register with a specific airline before spending. After you register for an airline you can officially only change your airline in January. However I have had success changing the airline by chatting with AMEX online.
You can choose to register for the following airlines:
Note that if you have a Business Platinum card, the airline you choose will also be the airline that will give you 35% of your points back when redeeming for coach travel. You may want to hold off on spending the $200 until the end of the year if you want to be able to change the airline more easily during the year, though I have never been denied an airline change by chatting with AMEX online. You also get back 35% of your points on all airlines in business and first class redemptions without having to register for an airline.
Testing out charges in 2023:
- The United TravelBank is a great option for these credits. TravelBank funds are valid to book United flights for anyone for 5 years from the date of purchase. I made a $100 purchase in 2023 and was reimbursed for the purchase.
- With this option you’ll have to weigh whether to do this earlier in the year, when you know it’s available and working or whether to wait to see if you’ll have actual airline fees to pay this year. It can also be worth waiting for a TravelBank funding promotion or to get a longer expiration date on the funds. Then again the option isn’t officially covered as an airline fee, so it can stop working at any time. In 2021 it stopped working for a couple of months, before becoming eligible again.
- TravelBank funds can be used to book travel on United.com for anyone.
- JetBlue paid tickets that are under around $129 have long worked for credit.
- These can be converted into JetBlue Travel Bank funds. With JetBlue, those funds are valid for 1 year from the date of redeposit and funds can be used for anyone. In basic economy you’ll have to cancel within 24 hours of the purchase and you’ll need to have purchased the flight for more than 7 days from now. You’ll have to contact JetBlue to do this conversion. For non-basic tickets, you can cancel and convert into Travel Bank funds online more than 24 hours after the ticket purchase.
- Southwest paid tickets that are under around $109 have long worked for credit.
These are other charges that have been reported to count for airline fee credit:
- Delta tickets purchased with partial payment on your credit card and partial payment on an airline voucher or gift card are typically reimbursed. This is not officially covered as an airline fee, but should work anyway.
- Taxes on award tickets are typically reimbursed. This is not officially covered as an airline fee, but often works anyway.
- Award redeposit and change fees from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Baggage fees from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Buying extra miles or mileage multiplier offered with a ticket purchase online or at a kiosk. This is not officially covered as an airline fee, but often works anyway.
- Flight change fees and same day change fees from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Food and drinks on the plane from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Food and drinks in a club from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Lounge access, memberships, and club pass fees from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Phone reservation fees from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Pet fees. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Seat selection fees and Economy Plus/Main Cabin Extra fees from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- Standby fees from airline of your choice. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- AA 500 mile upgrades. This is not officially covered as an airline fee, but often works anyway.
- AA Five Star Service. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- AA WiFi monthly plan. This is not officially covered as an airline fee, but often works anyway.
- $9 Spirit Fare Club Membership. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- United Economy Plus upgrades and Economy Plus Subscriptions. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- United Farelock. This is officially covered as an airline fee.
- United WiFi Subscription Purchases And Gifts. This is not officially covered as an airline fee, but often works anyway.
- United WiFi on mainline planes only or any other WiFi billed by the airline and not a 3rd party. This is not officially covered as an airline fee, but often works anyway.
- United WiFi day pass on any United flight.
It’s worth noting that upgrades to another cabin is not officially covered as an airline fee. However you can chatting with AMEX 14 days after a charge to request reimbursement for it or any other charge. YMMV on the rep crediting your account for it, but that has worked for me in the past.
What airline fees have you been credited for on your AMEX card in 2023?
Leave a Reply
64 Comments On "Testing Out Using 2023 AMEX Airline Fee Credit Uses, How Will You Use Yours?"
All opinions expressed below are user generated and the opinions aren’t provided, reviewed or endorsed by any advertiser or DansDeals.
Any tricks to get the hotel credit?
Could you please tell more about Amex Hotel credit usage?
@DAN can you share where you got the Amex hotel credit to book 1 night for just $202?
Are you looking for $98 flights that are refundable?
Definitely not. If you book refundable and later cancel, they will just refund the ticket to your AMEX card and AMEX will then claw back the credit.
I’m not sure whether you mention somewhere else but $100 Bank of America premium rewards airfare credit is reimbursed if you charge it to United Travel Bank, among so many other options.
I will advise in a few days hopefully, if the united travel bank in $100 increments worked
Last two years it worked fine
Already tested as per the screenshot in the post, it still works.
worked for me on $100 UTB charges a bunch of times this year bh
takes 4-5 days in my exp for credit to show
were did you use your amex fine hotel and resort?
So weird. My last united travel bank end of December didn’t work. On other cards it did earlier in the year but it didn’t work for the last one.
ok, looks like we need a list amex FHR’s that are below $300…
@Dan, how do you plan to recoup the $32.42 and $2.96 “overages” from FHR?
Zol zein a kapara 😀
If I made a purchase on jetblue a few days ago and change my swlected airline now to jetblue, will it trip the credit?
what did u charge for amex fine hotels and resorts? on the Business play
See comments above.
what options do we have for those on the East coast?
This is why I cancelled all my Amex cards. Way too difficult to benefit, plus their points have plummeted in value. Lucky if you can get 1:1
They’re worth 1.54 via Business Platinum.
@DAN how do you get such value besides business flights for the 35% rebate???
Why only business flights?
international is only biz/1st class domestic is only with selected airline which is UA due to UTB for the credit, but fir UA i have Miles so any other way to maximize the value of them?
can you make a post about BP biz and reg redemptions? i just figured out can cash them out for 1cpp into amex biz acct
Dan what’s preferable to use the $200 credit for united tb or jb tb? Previously you wrote about jb tb..
Whichever airline you want to fly, though United lasts for 5 years versus 1 for JetBlue versus forever for Southwest.
Do you find this weird:
Me and my wife have Business Platinum. We chose United for the airline.
On Dec 20 I swiped for myself and my wife 100 x4 in the United travel bank. My wife’s got credited back but I did not.
Are you sure you didn’t use the credit earlier in the year?
Yes, I opened it the same day as my wife, just few days before I did the swipe.
Odd. Try chatting with AMEX?
I did not, you always say to avoid that kind of thing, when it’s only a loophole. I wull though if you say so. Wonder if it’s possible that its just delayed?
Should I do a charge for 2023 or wait till I find out what’s up with 2022?
You probably didn’t choose your airline for yourself only your wife
I chose it for both. I just chatted with them. They manually reimbursed it on the spot.
What did you say? I have the exact same issue from the end of December.
Try chatting from your account. I got mine applied manually,
What did you ask them?
Nothing with cheap American tickets?
If you have something, feel free to share.
Dan: How did you get TWO Fine Hotels credits? I thought it is only ONE $200 credit/year
Look at the dates 🙂
Where are you finding $200+/nt fine hotels?
See comments above.
Does the travel bank have to be bought and applied to a United account with the same name on the amex card?
“ You’ll have to contact JetBlue to do this conversion.” basically book a cash ticket and text or call them to cancel the flight and they should convert into JetBlue Travel Bank funds?
A little surprised that you only spent $119 on CLEAR & didn’t find someone else for $60 that could have used it 🙂
Who said I didn’t earlier in the year?
you rock, like always!
I book refundable JetBlue and add a pet for both legs of the trip. JetBlue bills the pet charge separately, I get the credit, and I cancel the ticket for a full refund.
Just need to make sure you add the ‘Refundable’ option before booking.
AMEX has clawed back refunded charges in the past, even years later.
So YMMV on that.
Ouch. Thank you
does business platinum have FHR credit or just regular platinum ?
Gold au get additional air credits ?is it per au?
Which comment u explained hotel above ?
Comment number ?
3 how long after opening will AF billed ?
1.It’s per account not per card. 2.https://www.dansdeals.com/credit-cards/testing-using-2023-amex-airline-fee-credit-uses-will-use/#comment-1611447 3.on the first statement.
$5.60 for delta award ticket tax
Looking to buy GS status for 2023
If any one have please contact me
How can you get reimbursed for Frontier discount den when it’s not an available airline choice?
Bought 2 x $100 United Travel Bank Credit with Amex Personal Platinum on Jan 4th 2023, got reimbursed on the 10th.