DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Update: Effective immediately, AMEX is adding the following 2 benefits to the AMEX Consumer Platinum card:
- $12.95 plus tax monthly credit for Walmart+ membership
- Walmart+ members receive unlimited free shipping with no order minimum on items shipped by Walmart.com, free delivery from stores, as well as mobile and contactless check-out to make shopping faster.
- $25 monthly credit
- Platinum Card Members will receive a $300 statement credit every time they purchase a SoulCycle At-Home Bike, up to 15x per calendar year. An Equinox+ membership is required to purchase a SoulCycle at-home bike and access SoulCycle content. Must charge full price of bike in one transaction. Shipping available in the contiguous U.S. only.
- This stacks on top of the $25/month Equinox+ statement credit.
Will these new benefits make or break renewing your Platinum card?
Table of Contents
You can earn 100,000 American Express Membership Rewards welcome bonus points for opening an AMEX Consumer Platinum card and spending $6,000 within your first 6 months of card membership.
Plus, with this offer you will earn 10 points per dollar on up to $25,000 of spending at Shop Small merchants in the US and restaurant purchases worldwide during your first 6 months of cardmembership!
If you spend $6,000 on US Shop Small merchants and dining in 6 months you’ll earn a total of 160,000 points with the welcome bonus. If you spend $25,000 on US Shop Small merchants and dining in 6 months you’ll earn 350,000 points with the welcome bonus!
The Platinum Card now has a $695 annual fee, though the welcome bonus and myriad card benefits are worth far more than that.
If you currently have a Platinum card and it renews in 2021 the fee will be $550. The fee will be $695 for renewals starting in 2022. All of the new benefits apply for existing cardholders effective immediately.
There is a $175 annual fee for up to 3 additional Platinum cardholders and no annual fee for additional Gold cardholders. That’s just $58.33 per card and they get benefits like lounge access and elite status, and more!
Or you can add no-fee Gold cardholders, which don’t get lounge access, but can still get their own free Global Entry/Pre-Check membership!
Welcome bonus terms
You officially won’t get the welcome bonus on this card if you have or have had this card, though readers have reported success after several years.
You can tell if you are eligible for an AMEX welcome bonus by simply applying. If you are not eligible for the bonus you will get a popup notification after clicking to apply for the card. At that point you can decide whether to proceed or cancel the application before it is actually processed.
- 5 points per dollar on up to $500,000 of annual flight purchases.
- 5 points per dollar on hotels booked via AMEXTravel.com
- 1 point per dollar everywhere.
- There are no foreign transaction fees.
Bonus card earnings
You will earn 10 total points per dollar spent on up to $25,000 of spending at Shop Small merchants in the US and restaurant purchases worldwide during your first 6 months of cardmembership when you apply with this offer.
If you need a little help to meet the threshold, you can pay your federal taxes for a 1.96% fee (or a 1.9% fee for $100K+ payments). If you overpay your taxes you can request a refund or apply it to your next year’s taxes.
My local natural gas company allows me to prepay up to $1,000 on a credit card for a $1.65 flat fee. That’s a great way to earn miles and help meet a spend threshold. My electricity supplier allows me to pay with a credit card for free as long as I am enrolled in autopay.
New: $179 annual CLEAR credit
Clear normally costs $179/year, but United and Delta non-elite members can enroll in CLEAR for $119/year. United and Delta cardholders and mid-tier elite members can enroll in CLEAR for $109/year. Top tier elites get CLEAR for free.
A CLEAR member can add up to 3 adults for just $60 each, so you can join as a Delta or United member, add a 2nd adult, and all charges will be reimbursed by AMEX every year.
Kids under 18 can go with their parents for free without a membership or biometrics required.
CLEAR allows you to skip to the front of the line. If you have PreCheck you can skip to the front of the PreCheck line and if you don’t have PreCheck you can skip to the front of the regular line.
You don’t need to take out your ID either, your fingerprint or eye act as your ID.
The dependability that skipping the line gives you is simply amazing. It means I can leave my house 55 minutes before a flight and know that I won’t miss my flight out of CLE. When I’m with my family I’ll leave plenty of time and enjoy the airport lounge, but if I’m solo, the less wasted time in the airport is always a win.
New: $200 annual prepaid hotel credit
Additionally, these bookings come with complimentary benefits, such as room upgrades (when available) and a $100 experience credit to use for select activities, such as dining or spa treatments (which vary by property).
Eligible bookings must be made before December 31st, 11:59PM Central Time, each calendar year to be eligible for statement credits within that year.
You’ll also earn 5 points per dollar spent.
- For example in Israel you can use this $200 annual credit at hotels like:
- The Ritz-Carlton, Herzliya. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2 adults (kids always eat free here), room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a $100 spa credit.
- Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2, room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a $100 property credit.
- The David Citadel Hotel, Jerusalem. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2, room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a $100 property credit.
- King David Jerusalem, Jerusalem. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2, room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a complimentary dinner, for two people per room.
- Mamilla Hotel, Jerusalem. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2, room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a complimentary dinner, and a $100 property credit.
- InterContinental David Tel Aviv. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2, room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a complimentary dinner, and a $100 food and beverage credit.
- The Jaffa, a Marriott Luxury Collection Hotel. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2, room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a complimentary dinner, and a $100 property credit.
- The Setai Tel Aviv Hotel. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2, room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a complimentary dinner, and a $100 property credit.
- The Vista at Hilton Tel Aviv. Platinum members also get daily breakfast for 2, room upgrade at checkin when available, noon checkin when available, 4pm checkout guaranteed, free WiFi, and a complimentary dinner, and a $100 property credit.
- Dan Carmel, Haifa. Platinum members also get a room upgrade at checkin when available and a $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities.
- The Drisco, Tel Aviv. Platinum members also get a room upgrade at checkin when available and a $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities.
- Hilton Tel Aviv. Platinum members also get a room upgrade at checkin when available and a $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities.
New: $240 annual digital entertainment credit
Cardmembers can enroll and get a $20 monthly credit for select digital entertainment partners.
You can get a credit for any of the following:
- Eligible purchases for Peacock include all Peacock subscriptions, including but not limited to Peacock Premium and Premium Plus.
- All Audible purchases made directly through audible are eligible, including Audible subscriptions (Audible Plus and Audible Premium Plus) and audiobook purchases.
- Eligible purchases for SiriusXM include purchases made directly with SiriusXM online, through SiriusXM telephone sales or direct mail order purchase transactions.
- The New York Times
- Eligible purchases for the New York Times include any subscriptions (including digital or print news, NYT Cooking, and New York Times Games). Eligible purchases do not include advertising services, NYT conferences, gift cards, the TimesDigest or purchases from the NYTimes company store.
New: $300 annual Equinox credit
This credit is valid for the Equinox app or Equinox gyms.
$200 annual airline fee credit
Every calendar year, you can get a $200 credit for airline fees. That means you’ll get back $400 in fees during your first cardmembership year with $200 back in 2021 and $200 back in 2022.
$100 annual Saks credit
$200 annual Uber credit
Platinum cardholders get an automatic $15 monthly at Uber or Uber Eats. In December they get a $35 monthly credit.
If you have multiple Platinum cards or if you add someone else’s Platinum card to your Uber account you can get the bonus added to the same Uber account.
Uber Eats Pass And Uber VIP Status
Platinum cardholders get Uber VIP elite status, which gets you priority access to highly rated drivers and better cars.
They can also signup for a free year of UberEats Pass through 12/31/21. That’s a $119.88 value!
Just add your eligible card as a payment method in the Uber Eats app and click on Eats Pass to signup for free for 12 months.
Uber Eats Pass normally costs $9.99/month. It offers $0 delivery fee plus 5% off food. There are also lots of bonus promo codes for free food that are offered to Eats Pass members.
Gold elite status with 2 hotel chains
The Platinum card offers Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold elite status.
- You can enroll online here for Hilton Gold status.
- You can enroll online here for Marriott Gold status.
You can also enroll additional Platinum cardholders for Gold elite status, but that needs to be done over the phone.
Hilton Gold status gets you upgrades, bonus points, 5th night free on awards, late checkout, breakfast, and bottled water. Free breakfast doesn’t usually do much for me as a kosher traveler, but at the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem the fantastic daily kosher breakfast is free for Hilton Gold members. There is a mind-boggling quantity of awesome kosher food there, from dozens of daily hot dishes to hard cheeses, fresh fruits and pastries to fresh squeezed juices and espresso drinks, as well as on-demand dishes like french toast, pancakes, waffles, and eggs.
Marriott Gold status gets you late checkout, more points per dollar spent at Marriott hotels, room upgrades, enhanced in-room WiFi, and a points amenity on stays, even when redeeming points.
Centurion lounge access
Originally, Centurion Lounges were designed for free access only for Centurion cardholders. You know them as those black cards that cost a whopping $5,000 per year with a $10,000 initiation fee.
Once the Platinum card started losing airline lounge partners they opened the Centurion lounge up to Platinum cardholders for free as well. Platinum cardholders used to be able to bring a spouse and kids into a Centurion lounge for free, and then later AMEX changed that to 2 guests.
Unfortunately that still hasn’t solved overcrowding in the lounges, and effective 2/1/23 most Platinum cardholders will no longer be able to bring in any free guests. Guests, including kids, will cost $50 each. If you do spend $75,000 on your Platinum account during the prior calendar year you can still bring in free guests. If you spend $75K on your Platinum account in 2023 by March you’ll be able to bring free guests from March 2023 through January 2025.
Alternatively, you can add up to 3 additional cardholders onto an AMEX Consumer Platinum card for $175, or just $58.33 per year per card.
Centurion lounges offer services that vary by location including free spa (massage, facial manicure, or pedicure) services, showers, complimentary food, drinks, cocktails, etc.
The lounges offer varying amenities like premium drinks, showers, and massages. And as they are staffed by AMEX you can even get help with account issues and access the lounge even if you forget your Platinum card.
Currently, there are Centurion Lounges in:
- Charlotte (Intersection of Concourses D & E, mezzanine level)
- Dallas/DFW (Terminal D, near American)
- Denver (Concourse C)
- Houston/IAH (Terminal D, near United)
- Las Vegas (Concourse D, near United)
- Los Angeles (TBIT)
- Miami (Concourse D, near American)
- NYC/JFK (Terminal 4)
- NYC/LGA (Terminal B, near American and United)
- Philadelphia (Terminal A West, near American)
- Phoenix (Terminal 4)
- San Francisco (Terminal 3, near United)
- Seattle (Concourse B)
International locations include:
- Buenos Aires/EZE
- Hong Kong (Terminal 1)
- Mexico City
- Monterrey, Mexico
- Sao Paulo/GRU
- Toluca, Mexico
Future lounges include London, Washington DCA, and more.
Priority Pass membership
Primary and additional Platinum cardholders can bring in 2 free guests each.
Lounges include the Art & Lounge in London and Newark which is the lounge that El Al provides for their business and first class passengers, and the Dan Lounges in Tel Aviv.
Unfortunately, this membership no longer includes access to Priority Pass Restaurants.
You can access Delta lounges for free with a Platinum card when flying on Delta. You don’t get any free guests, but additional Platinum cardholders can access Delta lounges for free as well.
Select Delta SkyClubs, such as JFK, have complimentary hot kosher meals upon request. Others have kosher snacks upon request as well.
Escape, Plaza Premium, and Airspace lounges
Currently there are US Escape lounges in Cincinnati, Greenville, Hartford, Minneapolis, Oakland, Ontario, Phoenix, Providence, Reno, Sacramento, and West Palm Beach and there is an Airspace lounge in San Diego. Primary and additional Platinum cardholders can bring in 2 free guests each.
There are over 50 Plaza Premium lounges worldwide. Primary and additional Platinum cardholders can bring in 1 free guest each.
Global Entry/Pre-Check Fee Refund For You And Your Additional Cardholders
It costs $85 to apply for a 5 year TSA Pre-Check membership which makes flying pleasant again. Shorter lines, no need to remove your shoes, belt, jacket, or hat. You can keep your laptop and small liquids inside your carry-on. And you go through a good old fashioned metal detector instead of assuming the position in the body scanner. If you charge it on your Platinum card the fee will be refunded.
It costs $100 to apply for a 5 year Global Entry membership which lets you bypass the customs line. If you have Global Entry you also get TSA Pre-Check for free. If you charge it on your Platinum card the fee will be refunded.
You can add additional Gold cardholders to your account for free and they will each qualify for a Pre-Check or Global Entry fee refund as well!
My whole family has Global Entry and it sure makes traveling a whole lot easier!
Car Rental Perks
A 4 hour late return fee-free grace period, exclusively discounted pricing, and fee-waived Gold Plus membership at Hertz and National Executive status guarantee upgrades and faster free award rentals.
AMEX Offers and other benefits
- Earn statement credits at stores that you register for in your AMEX account with AMEX Offers.
- Book through Fine Hotels & Resorts and get early check-in, a room upgrade, daily breakfast, Wi-Fi, guaranteed 4pm late checkout, and an additional unique amenity valued at $100.
- Platinum Concierge.
- Preferred Seating Program at select cultural and sporting events.
Premium AMEX Protections And Lost Item Protection
- Cell Phone Protection will reimburse $800 of expenses for a damaged or stolen phone if you paid the previous month’s cell phone bill on your card. Screen cracks are covered under this policy. Small cracks are something typically excluded from other cell phone protections offered by credit cards. A $50 deductible applies and you can make up to 2 claims per 12 month period, per eligible card.
- Trip delay insurance will reimburse expenses due to a flight delay, up to $500 of coverage for 6+ hour delays.
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance covers trips cancelled or delayed due to weather, terrorism, jury duty, or sudden illness or injury with up to $10,000 of coverage per trip and $20,000 per rolling 12 month period.
- Baggage Insurance covers lost, stolen, or damaged luggage on plane, train, ship, or bus tickets paid for on the card.
- Travel Accident Insurance covers $500,000 per person when traveling.
- If your item, up to $10,000, is lost, stolen, or broken within 90 days you’ll be covered! Many cards offer stolen item protection, but that claim requires a police report to be filed and often has a cap of just $1,000 on other cards.
- If you need to return an item up to $300 and a store won’t take it back due to a time limited or final sale policy, AMEX will refund you thanks to return protection. The vast majority of the time you’ll even be able to keep the item, but if you do need to send it back the return shipping will be free. That’s a far more generous policy than any other bank offers. This benefit is valid for $1,000 of returns per card per calendar year.
- If a store charged a restocking fee to return an item then AMEX will cover it, up to $300/item, as part of their return protection coverage.
- You get extended warranty coverage, double the original manufacturers warranty, and if you have any issue in the extended warranty year they’ll pay to have it fixed or refund your entire purchase price without a hassle. This benefit is far more valuable than warranty benefits offered by other banks.
- If you need to dispute a charge there’s nobody who makes it easier or as pain-free as American Express does. It’s the easiest dispute resolution process in the industry by leaps and bounds and you can do it all online.
- See this post to see just how amazing AMEX benefits can be.
Airline and Hotel transfer partners
AMEX points can be transferred into many different mileage programs, and best of all, there are often transfer bonuses as well.
AMEX transfer partners include:
- Air Canada Aeroplan (Star Alliance) 1:1 instant transfer.
- ANA (Star Alliance) 1:1 transfer.
- Avianca Lifemiles (Star Alliance) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Singapore (Star Alliance) 1:1 transfer.
- AeroMexico (Skyteam) 1:1.6 transfer.
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue (Skyteam) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Alitalia (Skyteam) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Delta (Skyteam) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Aer Lingus (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer.
- British Airways (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Iberia (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer
- Qantas (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer
- Emirates 1:1 instant transfer
- Etihad 1:1 instant transfer
- Hawaiian 1:1 instant transfer
- JetBlue 1:0.8 instant transfer
- Virgin Atlantic 1:1 instant transfer
- Choice Hotels 1:1 instant transfer
- Hilton 1:2 instant transfer
- Marriott 1:1 instant transfer
What are your favorite AMEX Platinum perks?