DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Table of Contents
You can earn 75,000 American Express Membership Rewards welcome bonus points for opening an AMEX Consumer Platinum card and spending $5,000 within your first 6 months of card membership.
Plus, with this offer you will earn 10 points per dollar on up to $15,000 of US gas and US supermarket purchases during your first 6 months of cardmembership!
If you spend $5,000 on gas and groceries in 6 months you’ll earn a total of 125,000 points with the welcome bonus. If you spend $15,000 on gas and groceries in 6 months you’ll earn 225,000 points with the welcome bonus!
Comparison to previous welcome bonus:
The previous welcome bonus was 60K points for spending $5,000 within 3 months. It also didn’t include the bonus points on gas and grocery spending.
There is a $550 annual fee, though the welcome bonus and myriad card benefits are worth thousands of dollars in annual benefits
There is a $175 annual fee for up to 3 additional Platinum cardholders and no annual fee for additional Gold cardholders. That’s just $58.33 per card and they all get benefits like lounge access and elite status, and more!
Or you can add no-fee Gold cardholders, which don’t get lounge access, but can still get their own free Global Entry/Pre-Check membership!
Welcome bonus terms:
You won’t earn the welcome bonus on this card if you have or have had this card. If you are not eligible for the bonus you will get a popup notification after clicking to apply for the card. At that point you can decide whether to proceed or cancel the application before it is processed.
You must keep the card active without closing or downgrading it for at least 12 months.
- 5 points per dollar on flights. Currently this is uncapped, but starting in 2021 you can earn bonus points on up to $500,000 of annual flight purchases.
- 5 points per dollar on hotels booked via AMEXTravel.com
- 1 point per dollar everywhere.
- There are no foreign transaction fees.
Bonus card earnings:
You will earn 10 total points per dollar spent on up to $15,000 of US gas stations and US supermarket purchases for the first 6 months of cardmembership when you apply with this offer.
You can pay your federal taxes or tax estimates for a 1.87% fee. If you overpay your taxes you can request a refund or apply it to your next year’s taxes.
My local natural gas company allows me to prepay up to $1,000 on a credit card for a $1.65 flat fee. That’s a great way to earn miles and help meet a spend threshold. My electricity supplier allows me to pay with a credit card for free as long as I am enrolled in autopay.
$200 annual airline fee credit:
Every calendar year, you can get a $200 credit for airline fees. That means you’ll get back $400 in fees during your first cardmembership year with $200 back in 2020 and $200 back in 2021.
$100 Annual Saks credit:
Monthly Uber credits:
Platinum cardholders get an automatic $15 monthly at Uber or Uber Eats. In December they get a $35 monthly credit.
If you have multiple Platinum cards or if you add someone else’s Platinum card to your Uber account you can get the bonus added to the same Uber account.
Uber Eats Pass And Uber VIP Status
Platinum cardholders get Uber VIP elite status, which gets you priority access to highly rated drivers and better cars.
They can also signup for a free year of UberEats Pass through 12/31/21. That’s a $119.88 value!
Just add your eligible card as a payment method in the Uber Eats app and click on Eats Pass to signup for free for 12 months.
Uber Eats Pass normally costs $9.99/month. It offers $0 delivery fee plus 5% off food. There are also lots of bonus promo codes for free food that are offered to Eats Pass members.
Temporary credits due to COVID-19
- Get $20/month statement credit on most streaming services through December. Here is how you can use this for Amazon gift cards!
- Get $20/month statement credit on wireless telephone services purchased directly from U.S. service providers through December.
- Targeted Platinum cardholders can register for $100 off $100 at Dell through 1/31/21.
Gold elite status with 2 hotel chains:
The Platinum card offers Hilton Gold and Marriott Gold elite status.
You can enroll online here for Hilton Gold status.
You can enroll online here for Marriott Gold status.
You can also enroll additional Platinum cardholders for Gold elite status, but that needs to be done over the phone.
Hilton Gold status gets you upgrades, bonus points, 5th night free on awards, late checkout, breakfast, and bottled water. Free breakfast doesn’t usually do much for me as a kosher traveler, but at the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem the fantastic daily kosher breakfast is free for Hilton Gold members. There is a mind-boggling quantity of awesome kosher food there, from dozens of daily hot dishes to hard cheeses, fresh fruits and pastries to fresh squeezed juices and espresso drinks, as well as on-demand dishes like french toast, pancakes, waffles, and eggs.
Marriott Gold status gets you late checkout, more points per dollar spent at Marriott hotels, room upgrades, enhanced in-room WiFi, and a points amenity on stays, even when redeeming points.
Centurion lounge access:
Originally, Centurion Lounges were designed for free access only for Centurion cardholders. You know them as those black cards that cost a whopping $2,500 per year with a $7,500 initiation fee that used to give top-tier elite status on airline like Continental and USAirways but no longer do.
Once the Platinum card started losing airline lounge partners they opened the Centurion lounge up to Platinum cardholders for free as well. Platinum cardholders used to be able to bring a spouse and kids into a Centurion lounge for free, but now you are limited to 2 guests besides for the cardholder. The good news is that additional Platinum cardholders also get access and can bring in 2 guests as well.
Centurion lounges offer services that vary by location including free spa (massage, facial manicure, or pedicure) services, showers, complimentary food, drinks, cocktails, etc.
The lounges offer varying amenities like premium drinks, showers, and massages. And as they are staffed by AMEX you can even get help with account issues and access the lounge even if you forget your Platinum card.
Currently, there are Centurion Lounges in:
- Charlotte (Intersection of Concourses D & E, mezzanine level)
- Dallas/DFW (Terminal D, near American)
- Houston/IAH (Terminal D, near United)
- Las Vegas (Concourse D, near United)
- Los Angeles (TBIT)
- Miami (Concourse D, near American)
- NYC/JFK (Terminal 4)
- Philadelphia (Terminal A West, near American)
- Phoenix (Terminal 4)
- Seattle (Concourse B)
- San Francisco (Terminal 3, near United)
International locations include:
- Buenos Aires/EZE
- Hong Kong (Terminal 1)
- Mexico City
- Monterrey, Mexico
- Sao Paulo/GRU
- Toluca, Mexico
Future lounges include Denver, London, and more.
Priority Pass membership:
Primary and additional Platinum cardholders can bring in 2 free guests each.
Lounges include the Art & Lounge in London and Newark which is the lounge that El Al provides for their business and first class passengers, and the Dan Lounges in Tel Aviv.
Unfortunately, this membership no longer includes access to Priority Pass Restaurants.
You can access Delta lounges for free with a Platinum card when flying on Delta. You don’t get any free guests, but additional Platinum cardholders can access Delta lounges for free as well.
Select Delta SkyClubs, such as JFK, have complimentary hot kosher meals upon request. Others have kosher snacks upon request as well.
Escape and Airspace lounges:
Currently there are US Escape lounges in Cincinnati, Greenville, Hartford, Minneapolis, Oakland, Ontario, Phoenix, Providence, Reno, and Sacramento and there is an Airspace lounge in San Diego.
Primary and additional Platinum cardholders can bring in 2 free guests each.
Global Entry/Pre-Check Fee Refund For You And Your Additional Cardholders:
It costs $85 to apply for a 5 year TSA Pre-Check membership which makes flying pleasant again. Shorter lines, no need to remove your shoes, belt, jacket, or hat. You can keep your laptop and small liquids inside your carry-on. And you go through a good old fashioned metal detector instead of assuming the position in the body scanner. If you charge it on your Platinum card the fee will be refunded.
It costs $100 to apply for a 5 year Global Entry membership which lets you bypass the customs line. If you have Global Entry you also get TSA Pre-Check for free. If you charge it on your Platinum card the fee will be refunded.
You can add additional Gold cardholders to your account for free and they will each qualify for a Pre-Check or Global Entry fee refund as well!
My whole family has Global Entry and it sure makes traveling a whole lot easier!
Car Rental Perks:
A 4 hour late return fee-free grace period, exclusively discounted pricing, and fee-waived Gold Plus membership at Hertz and National Executive status guarantee upgrades and faster free award rentals.
AMEX Offers and other benefits:
- Earn statement credits at stores that you register for in your AMEX account with AMEX Offers.
- Book through Fine Hotels & Resorts and get early check-in, a room upgrade, daily breakfast, Wi-Fi, guaranteed 4pm late checkout, and an additional unique amenity valued at $100.
- Platinum Concierge.
- Preferred Seating Program at select cultural and sporting events.
Premium AMEX Protections And Lost Item Protection:
- Trip delay insurance will reimburse expenses due to a flight delay, up to $500 of coverage for 6+ hour delays.
- Trip cancellation and interruption insurance covers trips cancelled or delayed due to weather, terrorism, jury duty, or sudden illness or injury with up to $10,000 of coverage per trip and $20,000 per rolling 12 month period.
- Baggage Insurance covers lost, stolen, or damaged luggage on plane, train, ship, or bus tickets paid for on the card.
- Travel Accident Insurance covers $500,000 per person when traveling.
- If your item, up to $10,000, is lost, stolen, or broken within 90 days you’ll be covered! Many cards offer stolen item protection, but that claim requires a police report to be filed and often has a cap of just $1,000 on other cards.
- If you need to return an item up to $300 and a store won’t take it back due to a time limited or final sale policy, AMEX will refund you thanks to return protection. The vast majority of the time you’ll even be able to keep the item, but if you do need to send it back the return shipping will be free. That’s a far more generous policy than any other bank offers. This benefit is valid for $1,000 of returns per card per calendar year.
- If a store charged a restocking fee to return an item then AMEX will cover it, up to $300/item, as part of their return protection coverage.
- You get extended warranty coverage, double the original manufacturers warranty, and if you have any issue in the extended warranty year they’ll pay to have it fixed or refund your entire purchase price without a hassle. This benefit is far more valuable than warranty benefits offered by other banks.
- If you need to dispute a charge there’s nobody who makes it easier or as pain-free as American Express does. It’s the easiest dispute resolution process in the industry by leaps and bounds and you can do it all online.
- See this post to see just how amazing AMEX benefits can be.
Airline and Hotel transfer partners
AMEX points can be transferred into many different mileage programs, and best of all, there are often transfer bonuses as well.
AMEX transfer partners include:
- Air Canada Aeroplan (Star Alliance) 1:1 instant transfer.
- ANA (Star Alliance) 1:1 transfer.
- Avianca Lifemiles (Star Alliance) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Singapore (Star Alliance) 1:1 transfer.
- AeroMexico (Skyteam) 1:1.6 transfer.
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue (Skyteam) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Alitalia (Skyteam) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Delta (Skyteam) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Aer Lingus (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer.
- British Airways (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Iberia (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer
- Qantas (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer
- El Al 50:1 instant transfer (Ends 12/31/20)
- Emirates 1:1 instant transfer
- Etihad 1:1 instant transfer
- Hawaiian 1:1 instant transfer
- JetBlue 1:0.8 instant transfer
- Virgin Atlantic 1:1 instant transfer
- Choice Hotels 1:1 instant transfer
- Hilton 1:2 instant transfer
- Marriott 1:1 instant transfer
What are your favorite AMEX Platinum perks? Will you apply for the AMEX Consumer Platinum card with this offer?