- Limited Time Offer: Earn Up To 65,000 Miles On My Favorite Airline Credit Card; How To Take Advantage Of United’s Most Generous Awards
- Limited Time Offer: Earn Up To 100,000 Miles On The Awesome Chase United Explorer Business Card!
- United Kills Mileage Based Elite Status, Credit Card And International Flight Spend Waiver, And More
Airlines often try to poach elite flyers from other airlines. Once upon a time they would match elites from other airlines for an entire year or more, but today most airlines offer status challenges. A challenge comes with a requirement to fulfill in order to maintain the status beyond a trial period.
United eliminated their status challenge last year, but they have relaunched it now, with new PQP and PQF requirements if you want to keep status beyond a 90 day trial period.
United claimed that that they introduced PQPs and PQFs for 2020 to simplify things, but that’s nonsense. There’s nothing simple about the new system.
With the challenge, United is limiting PQPs and PQFs to those earned on United flights only. That eliminates the partner loopholes I wrote about if you’re trying to get status via the challenge.
- To match from Delta Silver or AA Gold to United Silver, you’ll need to fly on 4 United flight segments (PQFs) and spend $1,000 (before tax) on United flights (PQPs) within 90 days.
- To match from Delta Gold or AA Platinum to United Gold, you’ll need to fly on 6 United flight segments (PQFs) and spend $2,000 (before tax) on United flights (PQPs) within 90 days.
- To match from Delta Platinum or AA Platinum Pro to United Platinum, you’ll need to fly on 10 United flight segments (PQFs) and spend $3,000 (before tax) on United flights (PQPs) within 90 days.
Economy plus seats and subscriptions, preferred seat purchases, upgrades, and upgrade award co-pays also count towards PQP spending.
You can get a United challenge once every 5 years.
If you complete a challenge before 7/1/20, your status will expire on 1/31/21. If you complete a challenge on or after 7/1/20, your status will expire on 1/31/22.
Have you taken advantage of a United status challenge?
HT: Silv IT