Update: This offer ends tonight!
Originally posted on 10/2:
- The promotion runs through 10/31. It is run by United, so you won’t see any mention of it on the hotel’s points site or during the transfer process. As long as you initiate the transfer by 11:59pm ET on 10/31 you will get the bonus from United.
- United will add 30% bonus miles for all transfers from hotel programs made between 10/1-10/31.
- You can earn up to 25K bonus miles with this promotion per United account.
United will add the 30% bonus miles by 1/31/24.
Hotel point transfers to airlines are generally not worthwhile even with this bonus, with the exception of Marriott.
United will add 30% more miles by 1/31/24, leaving you with 39,000 miles!
Even years after the SPG merger, the Marriott’s mileage conversion tool still doesn’t account for the bonus Marriott points they add onto a transfer when you transfer in increments of 60K points, but those points will be added. The tool calculates 60K points as converting into 20K United miles at the 3:1 ratio, but you’ll actually get 30K United miles (or 25K miles with most other airlines) for every 60K points transferred thanks to the 10K bonus miles that will be added onto transfers in 60K increments made to United for an effective 2:1 transfer ratio.
With the additional 30% bonus:
- Transfer 60K Marriott points with this promo and you’ll get 39,000 United miles, an effective 1.54:1 ratio.
- Transfer 120K Marriott points with this promo and you’ll get 78,000 United miles, an effective 1.54:1 ratio.
- Transfer 180K Marriott points with this promo and you’ll get 115,000 United miles, an effective 1.57:1 ratio, which caps out the 25K max bonus miles.
You can transfer Marriott points between members here if you want to earn more bonus United miles for other members.
If you value Marriott points at 0.6 cents each, 60K Marriott points would be worth $360. You would get 39K United miles from a transfer of 60K Marriott points. At that valuation, you’re looking at an effective cost of 0.92 cents per United mile, which is an excellent deal!
Of course this depends on what value you typically get for your Marriott points and United miles.
It also doesn’t take into account that it’s easier to generate United miles at a good value than it is to generate Marriott points, so that alone may mean that it’s not worth taking advantage of this deal.
You can earn Marriott points with the Chase Marriott Bonvoy Bold Consumer Card, Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Consumer Card, Marriott Bonvoy Business AMEX, Chase Marriott Bevy Consumer Card, AMEX Marriott Bountiful Consumer Card and the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant Consumer AMEX. You can view a chart comparing 8 Marriott cards here.
Will you transfer points to United with this promo?