DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post.
There are 4 AMEX cards that give a credit to use for incidental fees on the airline of your choice.
The AMEX airline fee credit works on a calendar basis. If you apply for a card today and ask for it to be expedited you can use the 2018 credit by 12/31/18, the 2019 credit anytime in 2019, and the 2020 credit in January 2020. That’s $600 in airline fee credits in your first cardmembership year!
- The AMEX Business Platinum Card offers a $200 annual airline fee credit.
- The AMEX Premier Rewards Gold Card offers a $100 annual airline fee credit.
- The AMEX Platinum Card offers a $200 annual airline fee credit.
- The AMEX Hilton Aspire Card offers a $250 annual airline fee credit.
Officially this is intended to refund fees like checked bag fees, but it also works for others items as well.
You can use this link to check how much of your AMEX airline fee credit has been used. Just login and click on your eligible card.
After the gift card credit:
You need to register with a specific airline before spending. After you register for an airline you can officially only change your airline in January. However if you haven’t yet used your credit that year you can change it by chatting with AMEX online. You may also be able to change it if you have used the credit, but that may require some HUCA. You can verify that it’s been changed by clicking on the enrollment links above.
You can choose to register for the following airlines:
Note that if you have a Business Platinum card, the airline you choose will also be the airline that will give you 35% of your points back when redeeming for coach travel. You may want to hold off on spending the $200 until the end of the year if you want to be able to change the airline more easily during the year. You also get back 35% of your points on all airlines in business and first class redemptions without having to register for an airline.
The following items have been reported to work for airline fee credit:
- Alaska Airlines tickets under $99, if registered for Alaska.
American Airlines gift cards of $100 or less, if registered for American. You can purchase 2 $100 gift cards in one transaction. Note that you can use up to 8 AA gift cards per airfare purchase.
- Award redeposit and change fees from airline of your choice.
- Baggage fees from airline of your choice.
- Delta gift cards purchased via their desktop site only of $50 each if registered for Delta. You can purchase 4 gift cards in one transaction. Note that you can use up to 3 Delta gift cards per airfare purchase.
- Flight change fees from airline of your choice.
- Food and drinks from airline of your choice.
- Hawaiian Airlines gift cards of $100 or less per transaction, if registered for Hawaiian
- Lounge access fees from airline of your choice.
- Phone reservation fees from airline of your choice.
- Seat selection or upgrade fees from airline of your choice.
- Standby fees from airline of your choice.
- Southwest gift cards of $100 or less per transaction, if registered for Southwest
- United Economy Plus upgrades and Economy Plus Subscriptions, if registered for United
- United WiFi Subscription Purchases And Gifts, if registered for United
- United WiFi on mainline planes, if registered for United
What airline fees have you been credited for on your AMEX card?