Update: DEAD! Don’t miss it if this becomes alive again. Sign up for deal notification alerts here!
Which card you should get is highly dependent on your ability to meet the spending threshold.
- The Capital One Venture X Card offers 100,000 miles for spending $10,000 in 6 months, plus a $200 statement credit for vacation rentals within 12 months. Combined with the spending, you’ll have 120,000 miles after spending $10,000.
- The Capital One Spark Cash Plus Card offers $500 cash back for opening the card and spending $5,000 in 3 months and another $2,500 cash back for spending another $45,000 in 6 months, for a total bonus of $3,000 cash back after spending $50,000. Combined with the spending, you’ll have $4,000 cash back after spending $50,000, which can be converted to a Capital One mileage card for 400,000 miles.
If you can swing $50,000 in spending (tax payments can help there) in 6 months, then the Spark card is likely the way to go. Otherwise the Venture X card is the obvious choice.
You can earn the bonus on all Capital One cards every time you’re approved. Anecdotally, it appears to be easier to get a Spark card after getting a Venture card than it is to get a Venture card after getting a Spark card, though getting both in one day is a long shot.
Moving on from the mega signup bonuses, the cards offer very different benefits.
- Spark Cash Plus Card:
- The Spark card is a business card that doesn’t report spending to the credit bureaus.
- It has a $150 annual fee, though you can downgrade after a year to the no fee Spark Cash Select card.
- It offers 2% cash back everywhere and a $200 annual bonus if you spend $200,000 on your card.
- Like a charge card, it doesn’t have a hard credit line, but you can type in what you want to spend online and it will tell you if your purchase will be approved.
- You can transfer cash back earned into miles on cards like Spark Miles, Venture X, Venture, And Venture One which can transfer miles to airlines and hotels at a 1:1 ratio. You can transfer the cash back to anyone who has those cards!
- Capital One Venture X Card
- The Venture X is a consumer credit card.
- Instead of cash back it earns miles, which you can use for paid travel, to refund travel purchases, or transfer to airline and hotels with incredible values.
- It has a $395 annual fee, but the annual benefits more than cover that fee. You can downgrade to the $95/year Venture which also earns 2 miles per dollar or the no fee Venture One, which still allows you to transfer your miles to airlines and hotels at a 1:1 ratio.
- With this card you can refund travel related purchases at 1 cent per point for an effective 2% cash back everywhere, but if you don’t have travel related purchases on your card then the points would lose half their value when redeemed for cash.
- It has a $300 annual travel credit via the Capital One Portal.
- It has a 10,000 mile annual bonus, worth a minimum of $100, but potentially much more.
- It offers 2 miles per dollar everywhere.
- It offers Global Entry/PreCheck membership, a $100 value every 4 years.
- It offers access to the Capital One airport lounge network, with 2 free guests. Plus you can add free additional user cards and they too can access lounges and bring 2 free guests.
- It offers access to the Priority Pass airport lounge network, with 2 free guests. Plus you can add free additional user cards and they too can access lounges and bring 2 free guests.
- It offers access to the Priority Pass airport restaurant/massage/store network, with 2 free guests. Plus you can add free additional user cards and they too can access lounges and bring 2 free guests. You can find Priority Pass “non-lounges” by searching for an airport on the Priority Pass site. In Cleveland for example there is a The Club lounge with Priority Pass access, and there is Bar Symon, which offers a $28 per person credit towards chips, fruit, drinks, Kind bars, and more. Note that AMEX excludes this from their Priority Pass cards.
- It offers Hertz President’s Circle elite status. Plus you can add free additional user cards and they too will get Hertz President’s Circle elite status.