DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Update: The airline transfer bonuses end today. Will you make any transfers?
Originally posted on 9/1:
While AMEX is usually pretty good about offering transfer bonuses when you transfer points into miles, this is unprecedented. Either AMEX is looking to clear their books from points liabilities and/or airlines are hoping to generate revenue from selling miles to AMEX!
As always, I don’t recommend transferring bank points into miles unless you are going to redeem those miles now or in the near future as programs can devalue at any time and you lose the flexibility that bank points offer once they’re transferred.
The 40% Avios bonus and 30% Virgin Atlantic bonus stand out as very compelling offers.
If you’re able to travel to Israel, the Qantas offer is good for El Al travel, but always check on availability before transferring. The Flying Blue and Virgin Atlantic offers are good for travel on Delta to Israel and the Air Canada and Lifemiles offers are good for travel on United to Israel. The Hilton offer can be worthwhile for hotels in Israel as well.
You can currently get a bonus with 12 different transfer partners. I’ve included links to previous posts where I highlight some of the best redemption options from each program.
- Aer Lingus Avios: 40% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:1.4K transfer ratio.
- BA Avios: 40% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:1.4K transfer ratio.
- Iberia Avios: 40% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:1.4K transfer ratio.
- Aeromexico: 25% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:2K transfer ratio.
- This is not a historically rewarding mileage program, but post a comment if you find any bargains.
- Air Canada Aeroplan: 20% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:1.2K transfer ratio.
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue: 25% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:1.25K transfer ratio.
- Avianca Lifemiles: 15% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:1.15K transfer ratio.
- Hawaiian: 25% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:1.25K transfer ratio.
- Qantas: 20% bonus through 9/30 for a 500:600 transfer ratio.
- Virgin Atlantic: 30% bonus through 9/30 for a 1K:1.3K transfer ratio.
- Hilton: 30% bonus through 10/31 for a 1K:2.6K transfer ratio.
- Marriott: 30% bonus through 10/31 for a 1K:1.3K transfer ratio.
AMEX cards with transferable Membership Rewards points include:
- AMEX Blue Business Plus
- AMEX Platinum Business
- AMEX Gold Business Card
- AMEX Gold Consumer Card
- AMEX Green Consumer Card
- AMEX Platinum Consumer Card
- AMEX Everyday Preferred Consumer Card
- AMEX Everyday Consumer Card
Will you transfer any points to airlines or hotels with these offers?