DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Avianca is a Star Alliance member and their Lifemiles program is an interesting one. Lifemiles can be used to book travel with partner airlines like United and Air Canada within North America.
Lifemiles is one of the rare mileage programs that doesn’t collect any fuel surcharges. Note that Avianca Lifemiles require earning activity every 12 months in order to stop your miles from expiring. Transferring points to Lifemiles will extend the points validity for 12 more months.
They have a hidden award chart, which I cracked in this post for the domestic portion.
They are having an award sale for select routes to Asia for tickets booked from now through 3/12 for travel through the end of scheduling. The full sale list can be found here.
With Coronavirus spreading, I guess that we’ll probably see more award sales like this. But you can book travel for dates for travel up to about a year from now.
You can use United’s award search to find saver award space with their calendar search option:
- You’ll need to open a Lifemiles account here before you can search for award tickets online.
- Lifemiles allows you to use cash+points on award tickets, where you can effectively buy miles from about 1.5 cents each on the award search results page. You do need to have 40% of the required miles in order to do this.
- While I typically book all of my travel as one-way as that allows the most flexibility, with Lifemiles you’ll pay the booking fee twice if you book 2 one-way awards instead of a round-trip award.
It’s worth noting that Lifemiles has non-existent customer service and their website does not see all of the awards that it should, so you should always check for availability before transferring miles. You’re unlikely to have any luck calling Lifemiles for help if there website doesn’t see an award that ought to be available.
Here are some sample deals:
- Chicago to/from Taipei: 60K in business (normally 75K)
- JFK to/from Beijing: 67.5K in business (normally 75K), 81K in first (normally 90K)
- Los Angeles to/from Hong Kong: 60K in business (normally 75K)
- Los Angeles to/from Seoul: 31.5K in coach (normally 35K), 64K in business (normally 75K), 76.5K in first (normally 90K)
- Los Angeles to/from Shanghai: 64K in business (normally 75K)
- Los Angeles to/from Taipei: 32K in coach (normally 35K) or 60K in business (normally 75K)
- San Francisco to/from Hong Kong: 31.5K in coach (normally 35K) or 61.5K in business (normally 75K)
- San Francisco to/from Taipei: 64K in business (normally 75K)
- Seattle to/from Taipei: 31.5K in coach (normally 35K) or 60K in business (normally 75K)
- Washington DC to/from Beijing: 67.5K in business (normally 75K), 72K in first (normally 90K)
Want to earn Avianca Lifemiles?
- You can normally transfer AMEX Or Citi points to Avianca at a 1:1 ratio, Capital One points at a 2:1.5 ratio, or Marriott points to Avianca at a 60K:25K ratio.
AMEX cards with transferable Membership Rewards points to Avianca include:
- AMEX Blue Business Plus
- No annual fee, earns 2 points per dollar spent everywhere on up to $50K in annual spending. Rates and fees.
- AMEX Platinum Business
- $595 annual fee, earn 1.5 points per dollar on eligible $5K+ transactions, $200 in annual airline fee credits, $200 in annual Dell credits, 1 year WeWork Global Office Space, Marriott and Hilton Gold status, 35% points rebate on paid airfare redemptions, Global Entry/Pre-check, AMEX Global lounge collection access. Rates and fees.
- AMEX Gold Business Card
- $295 annual fee, 25% points rebate on paid airfare redemptions, earn 4 points per dollar on your most common spending categories each billing cycle. Rates and fees.
- AMEX Gold Consumer Card
- $250 annual fee, $100 in annual airline fee credits, earn up to 4 points per dollar.
- AMEX Green Consumer Card
- $150 annual fee, $100 in annual CLEAR credit, earn up to 3 points per dollar.
- AMEX Platinum Consumer Card
- $550 annual fee, earn 5 points per dollar on airfare, $200 in annual airline fee credits, up to $200 in annual Uber credit, up to $100 in annual Saks credit, Marriott and Hilton Gold status, Global Entry/Pre-check, AMEX Global lounge collection access.
- AMEX Everyday Preferred Consumer Card
- $95 annual fee, earn between 1.5-4.5 points per dollar everywhere with 30+ monthly transactions.
- AMEX Everyday Consumer Card
- No annual fee, earn between 1.2-2.4 points per dollar everywhere with 20+ monthly transactions.
Capital One cards with transferable points to Avianca include:
- The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business offering 50,000 miles for spending $4,500 in 3 months. Get free Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership. $95 annual fee waived for the first year.
- The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offering 50,000 miles for spending $3,000 in 3 months and 2 miles per dollar spent. $95 annual fee waived for the first year.
Citi cards with transferable points to Avianca include:
- The Citi Double Cash card offers 2% cash back or 2 points per dollar spent everywhere that can be transferred into ThankYou points. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles or get a 25% added value for paid airfare. No annual fee.
- The Citi Rewards+ Card offering 15,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months. This card can’t transfer points on its own, but can transfer points if you have one of the Citi cards above. This card automatically rounds up rewards earned on every purchase to the nearest 10 points, meaning you earn 10 points on a $0.50 Amazon balance reload. Earn 2 points on $6K in annual spending at supermarkets, 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, and a 10% points rebate when you redeem points, up to a 10K points rebate per year. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles or get a 25% added value for paid airfare, plus get a 10% points rebate on transferred or redeemed miles. No annual fee.
- Citi Premier offering 60,000 points for spending $4,000 in 3 months, 3 points per dollar on travel and gas, and 2 points per dollar on dining and entertainment. $95 annual fee.
- Citi Prestige offering 50,000 points for spending $4,000 in 3 months, 5 points per dollar on airfare and dining, and 3 points per dollar on hotels. $495 annual fee.
Marriott cards with transferable points to Avianca include:
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Consumer Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express®Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold Card
- Here is a comparison of all Marriott cards.
Will you book any award travel on sale with Lifemiles?