DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Update: This sale ends today!
Avianca is a Star Alliance member and their Lifemiles program is an interesting one. Lifemiles can be used to book travel with partner airlines like United and Air Canada within North America.
Lifemiles is one of the rare mileage programs that doesn’t collect any fuel surcharges. Note that Avianca Lifemiles require earning activity every 12 months in order to stop your miles from expiring. Transferring points to Lifemiles will extend the points validity for 12 more months.
They have a hidden award chart, which I cracked in this post for the domestic portion.
They are having an award sale for select routes for awards booked by 10/11 for travel anytime. Mileage rates below are each way.
Routes on sale in coach:
- Cleveland to/from Newark, was 6,500, now 5,500
- Detroit to/from Newark, was 6,500, now 5,500
- Los Angeles to/from San Francisco, was 6,500, now 5,500
- Miami to/from Houston, was 10,000, now 7,000
- San Francisco to/from Tokyo/HND, was 35,000, now 29,000
Routes on sale in business:
- Miami to/from Houston, was 15,000, now 11,500
- San Francisco to/from Toronto, was 25,000, now 20,000
- Los Angeles to/from Tokyo/HND, was 75,000, now 60,000
- San Francisco to/from Tokyo/HND or Tokyo/NRT, was 75,000, now 60,000
- JFK to/from Tokyo/HND or Tokyo/NRT, was 75,000, now 64,000
- Los Angeles to/from Tokyo/NRT, was 75,000, now 64,000
- Los Angeles to/from Seoul, was 75,000, now 64,000
- Vancouver to/from Taipei, was 75,000, now 64,000
For example if I needed a last minute ticket to NYC tomorrow, I’d need to spend over $440 for a cash ticket:
Using United miles, I’d need to spend extra miles for the close-in ticket:
But using Lifemiles, it’s just 6.5K miles or 5.5K miles with this sale, a truly incredible value for a $449 flight!
I book last-minute flights to NYC fairly often, and being able to use miles is a lifesaver!
Want to earn Lifemiles?
- You can transfer AMEX, Capital One, Or Citi points to Lifemiles at a 1:1 ratio, or Marriott points to Lifemiles at a 60K:25K ratio.
If you or a friend has one of the following Citi cards, you can transfer points into miles:
- Citi Premier has a record high 80,000 points for spending $4,000 in 3 months, 3 points per dollar on airfare, hotels, travel agents, groceries, gas, and dining. $95 annual fee. Read more here.
Citi no-annual fee cards that are fantastic for earning points, but require one of the cards above for points transfers include:
- The Citi Double Cash card offers 2% cash back or 2 points per dollar spent everywhere that can be transferred into ThankYou points. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles. No annual fee. Read more here.
- The Citi Custom Cash Card offers 5 points per dollar on up to $500 in purchases in your top eligible spending category each billing cycle. This is marketed as 5% cash back, but will actually come in the form of 5 ThankYou points per dollar spent! Eligible categories include Restaurants, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs, and Live Entertainment. You will also get 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months. No annual fee. Read more here.
- The Citi Rewards+ Card offering 15,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months. This card can’t transfer points on its own, but can transfer points if you have one of the Citi cards above. This card automatically rounds up rewards earned on every purchase to the nearest 10 points, meaning you earn 10 points on a $0.50 Amazon balance reload. Earn 2 points on $6K in annual spending at supermarkets, 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, and a 10% points rebate when you redeem points, up to a 10K points rebate per year. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles and get a 10% points rebate on transferred or redeemed miles. No annual fee. Read more here.
Capital One cards with transferable points to miles include:
- Capital One Venture offering 60,000 miles, 2 miles per dollar everywhere. Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership. $95 annual fee. Read more here.
- Capital One Spark Miles offering 50,000 miles for spending $4,500 in 3 months, 2 miles per dollar everywhere. Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership. $0 intro annual fee, then $95 annual fee.
AMEX cards with transferable Membership Rewards points to miles include:
- AMEX Blue Business Plus
- AMEX Platinum Business
- AMEX Gold Business Card
- AMEX Platinum Consumer Card
- AMEX Gold Consumer Card
- AMEX Green Consumer Card
- AMEX Everyday Preferred Consumer Card
- AMEX Everyday Consumer Card
Marriott cards with transferable points to miles include:
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Consumer Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold Card
Will you take advantage of this promo?