Last month I wrote about JAL devaluing their award chart, but there’s actually a silver lining. While long-haul rates go up, short-haul rates actually go down.
Here is the JAL partner award chart:
For example if you fly less than 1,000 miles in flight distance you currently need 15K JAL miles, but that will drop to 12K on November 20.
JAL allows you to book partner awards on their website for: American, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Finnair, Iberia, Malaysia, Qantas, Qatar, S7, SriLankan, Air France, Emirates, and Bangkok Airways.
You will need to be logged into a JAL mileage account and then you can search for partner awards here. JAL doesn’t have a flexible search calendar, so you’ll want to research saver award availability on a site like Alaska, American, British Airways, or Qantas beforehand.
You need to call JAL to book award travel on LATAM, Royal Jordanian, Alaska, Korean, and China Eastern.
While both JAL and British Airways have distance based award charts, they are actually quite different.
- JAL looks at a combination of the total distance across all flight segments. That means if I were to fly Cleveland-Philadelphia-Baltimore-Philadelphia-Cleveland using BA Avios it would cost 30K Avios as each segment would cost 7.5K Avios. However it would cost just 12K JAL miles starting in November as the total flight distance is under 1,000 miles.
- On the flip side, if I just wanted a one-way from Cleveland to JFK it would cost just 7.5K BA Avios versus 12K JAL miles in November. A round-trip from Cleveland to JFK would cost 15K BA Avios (2 segments that cost 7.5K each) versus the same 12K JAL miles in November (as the total journey is under 1,000 miles).
- JAL allows 3 free stopovers on an award, though you’ll have to call JAL to book a stopover award. BA charges for every flight segment, so there are no free stopovers.
- JAL requires awards to be booked at least 4 days in advance, while you can book awards using BA Avios on the day of the flight.
- JAL doesn’t charge anything to change dates or charges $28 to cancel an award. BA charges the lower of the taxes paid for the award ($5.60 for a one-way domestic award) or $55 for changes or cancellations.
- You can transfer Starpoints or Barclay Arrival Premier miles into JAL miles.
- You can transfer AMEX, Chase, or Starpoints into BA Avios.
Here is a comparison of how many BA miles or JAL miles you would need based on flight distance. The BA rates listed are for a round-trip, though they allow you to pay half that rate for a one-way. The JAL rates apply whether you have a one-way, round-trip, or stopover award. The top JAL number in parenthesis is the rate for bookings through 11/19 and the bottom rate is the rate starting for bookings made on 11/20. You can check flight distance on gcmap.com
|Round-Trip Flight Distance||BA Coach||(JAL Coach Current)|
JAL Coach New
|BA Business||(JAL Business Current)|
JAL Business New
|BA First||(JAL First Current)|
JAL First New
|1-1,000 (Flights that don't touch the USA)||9K||(15K)|
|1-1,000 (Flights to, from, or within the USA)||15K||(15K)|
|1,001-1,300 (Flights that don't touch the USA)||9K||(20K)|
Iguazu Falls-Sao Paulo
|1,001-1,300 (Flights to, from, or within the USA)||15K||(20K)|
Chicago-West Palm Beach
New York-Los Angeles
|JFK-Rio de Janeiro|
|San Francisco-Hong Kong
Have you redeemed JAL miles for any awards?