Update: Today is the last day to get this bonus!
If you transfer Marriott points to Air Canada’s Aeroplan mileage program by 9/17 you’ll get a 35% bonus.
Increments of 60K Marriott points (20K Starpoints) would convert into 33,750 Aeroplan miles.
Note that the Marriott transfer page will only state that you’ll get 20K miles with a 60K point transfer as the bonus 5K miles from Marriott and the bonus 8,750 miles from this promotion are added afterward.
The bonus miles will post to your account by the end of October.
The bonus does not apply to Marriott travel packages.
A breakdown of Aeroplan policies:
- Air Canada has one of the best lap child policies out there. You pay a flat fee of just $50 in coach, $75 in premium economy, $100 in business, or $125 in first for a lap child. Compare that to 10% of the paid fare with other airlines and you can save a small fortune, especially if you are flying in business or first class.
- Aeroplan’s Star Alliance award chart has some bright spots, though not as many as it used to. A business class flight from North America to Europe or South America is 55K miles each way while first class is 70K miles each way.
- Air Canada generously allows for a free stopover within North America and 2 free stopovers when flying to another continent, so you can check out up to 2 cities for as long as you want in addition to your final destination. If used properly you can create for yourself a mini round-the-world trip, all for the single award rate of flying to your final destination. So for just 110K/140K miles you can fly in business/first to 3 European cities and stay in each for as long as you want. Or for 160K/220K miles you can fly to Australia in business/first, with stops in Europe and in Asia along the way for example.
- There are no expedite/close-in fees.
- There is a C$100 charge to change or cancel an award ticket and a C$250 charge to cancel within 21 days of departure.
- Awards can’t be held.
- Premium class travel to Israel and the Middle East is pricey at 165K for business and 230K round-trip for first class. That’s higher than every other region in the world. Some agents may allow you to stopover in Israel on the way to another region for the lower cost of flying to the other region.
- Air Canada charges a fuel surcharge if you redeem their miles for travel on the following carriers: Adria, Air Canada, ANA, Asiana, Austrian, LOT Polish, Lufthansa, TAP Portugal, and THAI. (There is no fuel surcharge if you redeem their miles for travel on the following carriers: Aegean, Air China, Air India, Air New Zealand, Avianca/TACA, Brussels, Copa, Croatia, EVA, EgyptAir, Ethiopian, SAS, Shenzhen, Singapore, South African, Swiss, Turkish, and United)
- Air Canada miles require activity every 12 months to keep them active.
- There is no 24 hour grace period to cancel an award ticket.
Will you transfer points to Aeroplan with this bonus?