However, American seems to have taken their time to add some additional benefits as well.
In the most shocking part of the news, you will earn 1 mile towards million miler status for every $1 spent on AA credit cards that post to your AA account between May and December 2020.
AA used to offer this, but it was discontinued way back in 2011! I earned lifetime Platinum status from opening credit cards back then.
You will earn lifetime gold status and 35K bonus miles when you earn 1MM million miler miles.
You will earn lifetime Platinum status and 4 systemwide upgrades when you earn 2MM million miler miles.
Alas, you can’t earn far more valuable lifetime Platinum Pro or Executive Platinum status from the million miler program.
Don’t have an AA card? You can get one now and spend on them to earn lifetime elite status:
- Earn 70,000 miles with the Citi AA Business Mastercard. You can read the full review here.
- Earn 50,000 miles with the Citi AA Executive Mastercard.
- Earn 50,000 miles with the Citi AA Mastercard.
- Earn 10,000 miles with Citi AA MileUp card.
AA also announced that:
- AA elite status will be extended so that you’ll maintain your current status through 1/31/22. You’ll see the new expiration date on your account in a few weeks. Thanks Hyatt!
- AA club memberships will get a 6 month extension.
- AA club one-day passes that expire between 3/1-5/31 will be extended for 6 months.
- AA elites can get a $400 credit towards an AA vacation.
- Systemwide upgrades expiring 1/31/21 will not expire on 7/31/21.
- Award tickets issued by 5/31 for travel through 9/30 can be changed or redeposited for free.
- Award tickets as of 6/1 and going forward permanently can be changed for free more than 60 days before departure:
If you want to earn elite status for 2020, you can do so with reduced mileage and spending requirements:
Executive Platinums will have reduced requirements to earn rewards in 2020:
If anyone has seen JetBlue and Southwest, please pick up an airport courtesy phone and dial the operator.
Will you try to earn AA million miler status?
HT: Cohen Zalman