I tested the link twice just before making this post and it was still giving Silver status. Unfortunately it is no longer giving any elite status.
Free Virgin Atlantic Silver Status
Whether you register an existing account or open a new account via the link above you will get Silver status.
Why do you want Silver status if you don’t fly Virgin Atlantic?
1. You can flash the card to access elite/first class security lines at most airports.
2. Delta will offer benefits like free bags to Virgin elites in the future though that reciprocity is not set up yet.
3. DDF member travel247 reported that he was able to take a screenshot of his status and then status match challenge his brand new Virgin account to United Silver status and it was approved in just a few hours.
For 90 days you will get United Silver elite status. Note that you can only do 1 such match every 5 years.
Now most of the Silver benefits you get if you have a United Explorer card such as a free checked bag, greatly expanded saver coach award availability, and last seat standard award availability.
However you will also get the following benefits:
-Free economy plus seating for you and 1 companion at online checkin.
-Space available upgrades to first class for you and a companion (highly unlikely for a Silver unless you are flying off-peak or on a route with mostly leisure passengers)
-500 mile minimum earnings per paid United (and select partner) segment.
-Instant upgrades on full-fare economy tickets.
-25% bonus miles on paid United (and select partner) flights.
-Reduced award expedite/close-in fee, award change fee, and award redeposit fee.
If you fly 7,000 miles or 8 United flight segments (or less on full fare, business, or first class tickets) within those 90 days (but after 07/01/13) then your Silver status won’t expire until 01/31/15.
You can request a match via:
-Mail: Mileage Plus Service Center, Attn: Premier Status Match P.O. Box 6120, Rapid City, SD 57709-6121
-Your MileagePlus account number. If you are not already a member, join today.
-Your name, complete current mailing address and email address
-A copy of your most recent mileage summary or 2013 membership card that clearly identifies your current elite level in the frequent flyer program you are matching from.
-Please allow 7-14 business days for processing after receipt of your request.
4. You can then status match challenge your United Silver status to Delta Silver status for 90 days as well.
Click on the link above for more details.
While their credit card gives free bags and priority boarding having Silver status will at least get you and a companion a preferred seat and onto the first class upgrade list plus 25% bonus miles on paid flights.
5. American offers a status match challenge but they charge a fee to enroll. Call them at 800-882-8880 for more info.
6. Alaska offers a status match as well. You can email them to request it at firstname.lastname@example.org be sure to send proof of your elite status and Alaska mileage number.
Alaska elites get 2 free bags when they fly Alaska or American and a free bag when they fly Delta. They also get free space available upgrades when flying Alaska or Delta and preferred seating on all 3 carriers.
7. You can match your United status to Virgin America Elavate Silver status through 06/30.