It has been 18 months since I left the country. That’s the longest period of time I’ve gone without using my passport in well over a decade.
But that will change tonight. I’m headed with several DDF (DansDeals Forums) members to Iceland!
Iceland has long been on my bucket list and between finding a United business saver award and the current eruption, this was as good of a time as ever to check that off.
Iceland allows anyone who is vaccinated or recovered from COVID to enter the country without quarantine and I check both of those boxes. Currently you don’t need to provide a COVID test, though starting on Tuesday a COVID test will also be required, though an antigen test is acceptable.
If you want to join along on our trip, you can follow @DansDeals on Instagram for the latest updates.
The trip was in jeopardy last night. At 10:15pm United messaged me that my Cleveland to Newark flight was cancelled and that I had been rebooked for a day later. That would wreak havoc on our carefully crafted itinerary.
While all of the other flights to Newark were fully booked in economy, I noticed one open first class seat on an earlier flight to Newark and one last Polaris seat to Iceland, which was previously mine, and now available for anyone.
However I was booked in an economy seat from Cleveland to Newark, so the system wouldn’t protect me on the first class seat and 20 people were standing by for the flights to Newark.
I quickly rang United and after speaking to a manager, was able to grab the last seat to Newark and Iceland today, albeit with a longer connection in Newark. But with unlimited free premium drinks in the United Club for Polaris customers and plenty of time to go out for dinner, that wasn’t a bad deal at all.
How many site features are you taking advantage of?
- Follow @DansDeals on Instagram and keep up with my latest pics from on the road and at home.
- Join the 87K + people who follow @DansDeals on Twitter and you’ll get a tweet when a deal is posted on DansDeals.com!
- Click here to learn how to setup deal alerts.
- Follow @DansDeals on Telegram for instant deal notifications.
- Discuss or ask about whatever is on your mind and dig deeper into all kinds of deals at DDF (DansDeals Forums) at www.dansdeals.com/forums. There are now over 30K DDF members who have made over 2.3 million posts in more than 100,000 different topics! Feel free to browse the wealth of information there and click on “register” in order to be able to start posting your own tips or ask questions about anything you’d like to know about. After you register just click on the appropriate forum (Destination Guides, Trip Reports, Credit Cards, Goods For Sale, Up In The Air, etc.) and you can search for information (always start with a search as your question has probably already been answered!), add your own new thread topic, or reply to any existing one. It’s fun and easy! Need help with registering or getting started? Just post a comment right on this post and I’ll help you out!
Many threads now have a Wiki (found on the first page of a thread) to help summarize the entire topic.
Some of the best information is discussed at DDF meetups, find the DDF DO board for information on where meetups are happening now!
- Join the 39,000+ people following the DansDeals.com Facebook group who used to get instant email alerts of only the hottest deals before facebook stupidly turned off the “email group” feature. Now it’s more of a poorly organized version of DDF…though it has its moments.
- Like the DansDeals.com Facebook page.
- Subscribe to the DansDeals.com RSS feed at http://www.dansdeals.com/feed, or to the DansDeals comments RSS feed at http://www.dansdeals.com/comments/feed where you can get updates on all the recent comments, no matter which deal they’re posted on.
- 31K+ people receive a daily email digest of everything posted on Dansdeals.com! Bear in mind that with this service you will receive emails a day after a deal is posted, so there’s a decent chance that by the time you get the email the deal will be dead already…which is why I prefer the other options. At any rate to subscribe just locate the “Daily Email Digest” section in the sidebar of this site, enter your email address, and subscribe. You can also use the Feedburner RSS feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/Dansdeals
- Post comments and share your thoughts right on the site under every single deal posting! Participating and interacting is what makes this site fun! Every deal also has a comments RSS feed that you can subscribe to.
Advertise on DansDeals.com and reach our tens of thousands daily unique visitors. Advertising on DansDeals delivers serious results! Try it out and see firsthand why businesses and charities are seeing incredible results from DansDeals advertising, with returns on their investment several times greater than when advertising on other websites. For more info just send an email to email@example.com