Update: Offer expired.
The Barclays Arrival® Premier World Elite Mastercard® launched in April, but Barclays is reportedly closing the card to new applications due to low demand. That’s no surprise given that this card has never offered a signup bonus.
This link for the card waives the $150 annual fee, but the link will stop working at about 12:59pm ET today. When the card launched it didn’t waive the first year’s annual fee, so this is the best public offer for the card ever.
This is the only Barclays card that allows the transfer of points into airline miles.
The Arrival Premier’s claim to fame is that it offers 2 Arrival Premier “miles” per dollar on all purchases. It also offers 15K bonus miles for spending $15K every cardmembership year and another 10K bonus miles for spending a total of $25K in every cardmembership year. That’s potentially 3 miles per dollar everywhere, if you spend $15K or $25K in a cardmembership year.
You can use those miles as one cent each towards travel. The way it works is you book travel via any booking site and then you can just go online to your Barclaycard account and request that the purchase be refunded using your miles. You can refund any purchase that is categorized as “Airlines, Travel Agencies & Tour Operators, Hotels, Motels & Resorts, Cruise Lines, Passenger Railways and Car Rental Agencies.”
The nice thing about these miles is that you can book travel on any site and can decide later what you want to get refunded with your miles. There’s no need to book with a specific booking portal.
The Arrival Premier mileage transfer rates are confusing, to say the least. You can earn 2-3 points per dollar spent, but the transfer rates are not at parity, so you’ll need to do some math to calculate how many airline miles per dollar you’ll actually earn.
1.4 Arrival Premier miles can be transferred into 1 airline mile with the following airlines (Other transfer options listed in parenthesis)
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue (AMEX 1:1, Chase 1:1, Citi 1:1, SPG 20:25, SPG 90:85+7 nights)
- Aeromexico (AMEX 1:1, SPG 20:25, SPG 90:120+7 nights)
- China Eastern (SPG 20:25, SPG 90:85+7 nights)
- Etihad (AMEX 1:1, Citi 1:1, SPG 20:25, SPG 90:85+7 nights)
- EVA (Citi 1:1)
- Jet Airways (Citi 1:1, SPG 20:25, SPG 90:85+7 nights)
- Malaysia (Citi 1:1)
- Qantas (Citi 1:1, SPG 23.3:17.5, SPG 90:85+7 nights)
The card also allows 1.7 Arrival Premier miles to transfer into 1 airline mile with:
- Air Canada Aeroplan (AMEX 1:1, SPG 20:25, SPG 90:120+7 nights)
- JAL (SPG 20:25, SPG 90:85+7 nights)
So how many airline miles per dollar do you actually earn? The calculations below show the rate for both the 1.4 and 1.7 to 1 transfer options:
- If you spend $5K on the card in a year you’ll have 10K Arrival Premier miles that can transfer into 5,882-7,142 airline miles (1.18-1.43 miles per dollar spent).
- If you spend $10K on the card in a year you’ll have 20K Arrival Premier miles that can transfer into 11,764-14,285 airline miles (1.18-1.43 miles per dollar spent).
- If you spend $15K on the card in a year you’ll have 45K Arrival Premier miles that can transfer into 26,470-32,142 airline miles (1.76-2.14 miles per dollar spent).
- If you spend $20K on the card in a year you’ll have 55K Arrival Premier miles that can transfer into 32,352-39,285 airline miles (1.62-1.96 miles per dollar spent).
- If you spend $25K on the card in a year you’ll have 75K Arrival Premier miles that can transfer into 44,117-53,571 airline miles (1.76-2.14 miles per dollar spent).
- If you spend $50K on the card in a year you’ll have 125K Arrival Premier miles that can transfer into 73,529-89,285 airline miles (1.47-1.79 miles per dollar spent).
The Arrival Premier card has a $150 annual fee and offers a Global Entry/Pre-Check credit and no foreign transaction fees.
Interesting Barclays partners include:
-Qantas points, which are very valuable for travel on El Al. For a one-way ticket between NYC and Tel Aviv you’ll need 42K Qantas miles in coach, 63K in premium economy, or 78K in business. Unlike when you redeem El Al Matmid points, there are no fuel surcharges when redeeming Qantas points for travel on El Al!
You may be better off earning Qantas points in bonus categories via the Citi Premier Card, which has a best ever 60K signup bonus for spending $4K within 3 months. It also offers 3 points per dollar on travel and gas plus 2 points per dollar on dining and entertainment. Plus its annual fee is waived for the first year and $95/year afterward:
-JAL has the best redemption options for Emirates shower class. Barclays Arrival Premier miles transfer to JAL at a 1.7:1 ratio.
A shower class flight can cost $27,000 round-trip, but with miles it’s a whole lot less.
If you’re after JAL miles, then this card is a good way of accumulating them.
Will you apply for a Barclays Arrival Premier card?