DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
You will get $150 cash back in the form of a statement credit for opening the Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express and spending $3,000 in 6 months.
Additionally, you’ll get 20% back on up to $1,000 of Amazon purchases made within the first 6 months of cardmembership. That includes Amazon purchases, Amazon account reloads, Amazon gift cards, and gift cards to other stores that are sold by Amazon. If you buy $1,000 of items from Amazon within 6 months you’ll earn $200 bonus cash back, for a total potential of $350 cash back in the form of a statement credit.
Alternatively, you can get $100 cash back in the form of a statement credit for opening the no annual fee Blue Cash Everyday AMEX and spending $2,000 in 6 months. Plus you’ll get 20% back on up to $750 of Amazon purchases made within the first 6 months of cardmembership, for a total potential of $250 cash back in the form of a statement credit.
This card normally has a $95 annual fee without a waiver for the first year, but with this offer you will get a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year.
Welcome bonus terms:
You officially won’t get the welcome bonus on this card if you have or have had this card, though readers have reported success after several years.
You can tell if you are eligible for an AMEX welcome bonus by applying. If you are not eligible for the bonus you will get a popup notification after clicking to apply for the card. At that point you can decide whether to proceed or cancel the application before it is processed.
This card won’t compete with the Citi Double Cash card, which earns 2% cash back everywhere for general purchases.
However the Blue Cash Preferred has awesome cashback categories:
- This card earns a whopping 6% cash back in the form of a statement credit at US supermarkets. That includes large chains and standalone grocery stores. There is a cap of $6,000 in annual spending for this bonus, so you can get up to $360 cash back annually on grocery shopping. After $6,000 spent at grocery stores you’ll earn 1% cash back.
- You’ll get 6% cash back in the form of a statement credit on US streaming services with no cap, including Amazon Music Unlimited, Apple Music, Apple TV+, AT&T TV Now, Audible, Disney+, ESPN+, Fubo TV, HBO Max, HBO, Hulu, iHeartRadio, Kindle Unlimited, Luminary, MLB.TV, NBA League Pass, Netflix, NHL.TV, Pandora, Paramount+, Peacock, Prime Video, Showtime, Sling TV, SiriusXM Streaming and Satellite, Spotify, Stitcher, TIDAL Music, YouTube Music Premium, YouTube Premium, and YouTube TV.
- You’ll get 3% cash back in the form of a statement credit at US gas stations, with no cap.
- You’ll get 3% cash back in the form of a statement credit with on transit with no cap, including taxis, rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more.
- You’ll get 1% cash back in the form of a statement credit on everything else
Earn statement credits at websites and stores that you register for in your AMEX account.
Return Protection And Other AMEX Protections:
My favorite AMEX benefit is return protection. If you need to return an item up to $300 and a store won’t take it back due to a time limited or final sale return policy, AMEX will gladly refund you thanks to return protection.
Nearly all of the time you’ll even be able to keep the item you want to return, but if you are asked to send it back, the return shipping will be free. This benefit is valid for $1,000 of returns per card per calendar year.
Additionally, if a store charges a restocking fee to return an item then AMEX will cover that cost, up to $300/item, as part of their return protection coverage.
Unfortunately as of 2020, most AMEX cards got rid of return protection. Cards that no longer have return protection include higher end cards like AMEX Business Gold ($295/year), AMEX Gold ($250/year), Delta Platinum and Delta Business Platinum ($250/year), AMEX Green ($150/year), Marriott Business ($125/year), Delta Gold and Delta Business Gold ($99/year), and most lower end cards as well.
The Blue Cash Preferred card escaped unscathed though and continues to offer return protection!
Other AMEX benefits include:
- An additional year of warranty coverage, double the original manufacturers warranty, and if you have any issue in the extended warranty year they’ll pay to have it fixed or refund your entire purchase price without a hassle. This benefit is far more valuable than warranty benefits offered by other banks.
- If you need to dispute a charge there’s nobody who makes it easier or as pain-free as American Express does. It’s the easiest dispute resolution process in the industry by leaps and bounds and you can do it all online.
- If your item is stolen or broken within 90 days you’ll be covered.
- Complimentary Shoprunner 2 day free shipping and return shipping on hundreds of websites.
- Secondary car rental CDW protection worldwide and primary available for $19.95/rental.
- See this post to see just how amazing AMEX benefits can be.
This card offers 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months.
Will you signup for a Blue Cash Preferred® Card?