Update: DEAD! Don’t miss it if this becomes alive again. Sign up for deal notification alerts here!
Update: This offer will end soon!
Additionally, the time period to redeem points at 1 cent each for dining and streaming has been extended from 12/31/20 to 4/30/21.
Originally posted on 9/30:
Table of Contents
For a limited time only, you can earn 50,000 Capital One miles for opening this card and spending $3,000 in 3 months. You will get an additional 50,000 miles for spending another $17,000 in 12 months.
As you earn 2 miles per dollar everywhere, that’s a potential 140,000 miles for spending $20,000 in a year. 140K miles can be used for $1,400 of travel, dining, or gift cards. Or it can be transferred into 105K airline miles.
The previous signup bonus offers on this card was 50K miles for spending $3,000 in 3 months.
Note that Capital One pulls and reports to all 3 of your credit reports. Capital One typically awards signup points even if you have the card in the past. It can be difficult to get approved for more than 1 Capital One card every 6 months.
There is a $95 annual fee for the primary card and no annual fee for additional cardholders.
- 2 miles per dollar everywhere.
- 5 miles per dollar on Uber Eats through 1/31/21.
- There are no foreign transaction fees.
You’ll need to spend $3,000 on this card within 3 months for 50K miles or $20K in a year ($1,667/month) for 100K miles.
You can pay your federal taxes for a 1.87% fee. If you overpay your taxes you can request a refund or apply it to your next year’s taxes.
My local natural gas company allows me to prepay up to $1,000 on a credit card for a $1.65 flat fee. That’s a great way to earn miles and help meet a spend threshold. My electricity supplier allows me to pay with a credit card for free as long as I am enrolled in autopay.
- Rental car CDW insurance
- Extended warranty
- Lost Luggage Insurance
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Purchase protection for items damaged or stolen within 90 days
Use points for travel:
You can redeem your points to pay yourself back for any travel related expenses (airfare, hotels, car rentals, cruises, ride sharing, etc) or book new travel at a value of 1 cent per point.
Use points for gift cards:
You can redeem your points to buy gift cards to stores like Amazon at a value of 1 cent per point.
Use points for dining and streaming:
12/31/20 4/30/21, you can use points to pay yourself back for dining (including eat-in, takeout, or delivery) and streaming services at a value of 1 cent per point.
Global Entry/TSA Pre-Check Credit:
You can get reimbursed for Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership fees ($85 for Pre-Check or $100 for Global Entry and Pre-Check) every 4 years. Membership lasts for 5 years, so you will be able to renew before your membership lapses. Global Entry/Pre-Check make flying so much easier. I got Global Entry and Pre-Check for free for my entire family via credit cards that offer free membership!
Airline and hotel transfer partners:
You can transfer points from Capital One into these 14 programs at a 2:1.5 ratio:
- Aeromexico (SkyTeam)
- Air Canada Aeroplan (Star Alliance)
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue (SkyTeam)
- Avianca LifeMiles (Star Alliance)
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (OneWorld)
- Etihad (No alliance)
- EVA (Star Alliance)
- Finnair (OneWorld)
- Hainan (No alliance)
- Qantas (OneWorld)
- Qatar (OneWorld)
You can transfer points from Capital One into these 3 programs at a 2:1 ratio:
- Emirates (No alliance)
- Singapore (Star Alliance)
By transferring points to Accor, you can also transfer points to the following airlines via Accor at an effective 2:1 ratio:
- Iberia (Which can also be transferred to British Airways)
- Virgin Australia
You can also combine points between Capital One miles cards and you can transfer miles to any Capital One cardholder!
- Avianca Lifemiles awards start at just 6.5K miles on United. Or save up for the 194K miles you’ll need for a round-trip first class flight in First Class from the US to Tel Aviv on Lufthansa with access to their amazing first class terminal during your connection with a Porsche transfer to your plane.
- 29K Flying Blue miles is enough to fly nonstop on Delta between North America and Israel.
- 110K Aeroplan miles is enough for a round-trip business class award between North America and 2 European cities.
- With 90K Cathay Pacific Asia Miles miles you can book a round-trip business class award between North America and Europe.
- With 180K Qantas points you can fly round-trip in El Al business class between NYC and Tel Aviv with no fuel surcharges.
- With 135K Emirates miles you can fly round-trip in A380 Shower Class from JFK to Milan with no fuel surcharges.
- With 217.5K Emirates miles you can fly round-trip in A380 Shower Class from JFK to Dubai with no fuel surcharges.
Will you signup for the Capital One Venture Card?