Update: DEAD! Don’t miss it if this becomes alive again. Sign up for deal notification alerts here!
Table of Contents
For a limited time only, you can earn 50,000 Capital One miles for opening this card and spending $3,000 in 3 months. You will get an additional 50,000 miles for spending another $17,000 in 12 months.
As you earn 2 miles per dollar everywhere, that’s a potential 140,000 miles for spending $20,000 in a year. 140K miles can be used for $1,400 of travel, dining, or gift cards. Or it can be transferred into 105K airline miles.
The previous signup bonus offers on this card were 50K or 60K miles for spending $3,000 in 3 months.
Note that Capital One pulls and reports to all 3 of your credit reports. Capital One typically awards signup points even if you have the card in the past. It can be difficult to get approved for more than 1 Capital One card every 6 months.
There is a $95 annual fee for the primary card and no annual fee for additional cardholders.
- 2 miles per dollar everywhere.
- There are no foreign transaction fees.
You’ll need to spend $3,000 on this card within 3 months for 50K miles or $20K in a year ($1,667/month) for 100K miles.
You can pay your federal taxes for a 1.96% fee. If you overpay your taxes you can request a refund or apply it to your next year’s taxes.
My local natural gas company allows me to prepay up to $1,000 on a credit card for a $1.65 flat fee. That’s a great way to earn miles and help meet a spend threshold. My electricity supplier allows me to pay with a credit card for free as long as I am enrolled in autopay.
- Rental car CDW insurance
- Extended warranty
- Lost Luggage Insurance
- Travel Accident Insurance
- Purchase protection for items damaged or stolen within 90 days
Use points for travel:
You can redeem your points to pay yourself back for any travel related expenses (airfare, hotels, car rentals, cruises, ride sharing, etc) or book new travel at a value of 1 cent per point.
Use points for gift cards:
You can redeem your points to buy gift cards to stores like Amazon at a value of 1 cent per point.
Global Entry/TSA Pre-Check Credit:
You can get reimbursed for Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership fees ($85 for Pre-Check or $100 for Global Entry and Pre-Check) every 4 years. Membership lasts for 5 years, so you will be able to renew before your membership lapses. Global Entry/Pre-Check make flying so much easier. I got Global Entry and Pre-Check for free for my entire family via credit cards that offer free membership!
Capital One Lounges:
Capital One airport lounges will launch later this year with its first lounge in Dallas/DFW this summer and lounges in Denver/DEN and Washington/IAD to open next year. It’s unclear what lounge entry requirements will entail.
Lounges will feature local beers, craft cocktails, exercise rooms, nursing rooms, kids rooms, soundproof relaxation rooms, secure lockers, prayer rooms, and shower suites!
Airline and hotel transfer partners:
You can transfer points from Capital One into these programs at the following ratios:
- Accor Hotels (2:1)
- Aeromexico (1:1, SkyTeam) Currently 1:1.2 through 8/8
- Air Canada Aeroplan (2:1.5, Star Alliance)
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue (2:1.5, SkyTeam)
- Alitalia (2:1.5, SkyTeam)
- Avianca LifeMiles (1:1, Star Alliance)
- British Airways Avios (2:1.5, OneWorld) 1:1 in August
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (1:1, OneWorld)
- Choice Hotels (1:1)
- EVA (2:1.5, Star Alliance)
- Etihad (1:1, No alliance)
- Emirates (2:1, No alliance)
- Finnair (1:1, OneWorld)
- JetBlue (2:1.5, No alliance)
- Qantas (1:1, OneWorld)
- Singapore (2:1, Star Alliance)
- TAP Air Portugal (1:1 transfer ratio, Star Alliance)
- Turkish Airlines (2:1.5, Star Alliance)
- Wyndham Hotels (1:1)
By transferring points to Accor, you can also transfer points to the following airlines via Accor at an effective 2:1 ratio:
- Iberia (Which can also be transferred to British Airways)
- Virgin Australia
You can also combine points between Capital One miles cards and you can transfer miles to any Capital One cardholder!
- Avianca Lifemiles awards start at just 6.5K miles on United. Or save up for the 194K miles you’ll need for a round-trip first class flight in First Class from the US to Tel Aviv on Lufthansa with access to their amazing first class terminal during your connection with a Porsche transfer to your plane.
- Turkish Airlines has an incredibly generous award chart, with bargains on United like domestic awards, including Hawaii, costing just 7.5K miles in coach or 12.5K miles in business class! Tickets to Israel cost just 32K miles in coach or 47K miles in business class!
- 29K Flying Blue miles is enough to fly nonstop on Delta between North America and Israel.
- 120K Aeroplan miles is enough for a round-trip business class award between North America and 2 European cities.
- With 90K Cathay Pacific Asia Miles miles you can book a round-trip business class award between North America and Europe.
- With 180K Qantas points you can fly round-trip in El Al business class between NYC and Tel Aviv with no fuel surcharges.
- With 135K Emirates miles you can fly round-trip in A380 Shower Class from JFK to Milan with no fuel surcharges.
- With 217.5K Emirates miles you can fly round-trip in A380 Shower Class from JFK to Dubai with no fuel surcharges.
Will you signup for the Capital One Venture Card?