DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
Update: DEAD! Don’t miss it if this becomes alive again. Sign up for deal notification alerts here!
Update: This offer ends tonight at 11:59pm!
Originally posted on 5/18:
Table of Contents
You can now earn 60,000 American Express Membership Rewards welcome bonus points for opening an AMEX Consumer Green Card and spending $3,000 within your first 6 months of card membership.
Plus if you signup with this offer, you’ll earn 20% back on eligible travel and transit purchases during your first six months, up to $200 back in statement credit on $1,000 of purchases.
Eligible travel purchases include purchases of: airfare for scheduled flights on passenger carrier, chartered flights, and private jets; hotel stays, timeshare rentals, and vacation rentals; car rentals; and cruises, tours, vacation packages, and other purchases made through tour operators and travel agencies.
That’s less than the cost of a CLEAR membership!
Welcome bonus terms
You officially won’t get the welcome bonus on this card if you have or have had this card, though readers have reported success after several years.
You can tell if you are eligible for an AMEX welcome bonus by simply applying. If you are not eligible for the bonus you will get a popup notification after clicking to apply for the card. At that point you can decide whether to proceed or cancel the application before it is actually processed.
- 3 points per dollar on Travel. This includes airfare, hotels, cruises, tours, car rentals, campgrounds, vacation rentals, travel purchases on third party travel websites, and travel purchases on amextravel.com.
3 points per dollar on Transit. This includes trains, taxicabs, rideshare services, ferries, tolls, parking, buses, and subways.
- 3 points per dollar on Restaurants worldwide, and on 3rd party food delivery services in the US.
- 1 point per dollar everywhere else.
- There are no foreign transaction fees.
If you need a little help to meet the threshold, you can pay your federal taxes for a 1.87% fee. If you overpay your taxes you can request a refund or apply it to your next year’s taxes.
My local natural gas company allows me to prepay up to $1,000 on a credit card for a $1.65 flat fee. That’s a great way to earn miles and help meet a spend threshold. My electricity supplier allows me to pay with a credit card for free as long as I am enrolled in autopay.
$189 annual CLEAR® Plus credit
Clear Plus normally costs $189/year, but United and Delta non-elite members can enroll in CLEAR Plus for $179/year. United and Delta cardholders and mid-tier elite members can enroll in CLEAR Plus for $149/year. Top tier elites get CLEAR Plus for free.
A CLEAR Plus member can add up to 3 adults for just $60 each, so the $189 credit will cover some of that fee as well.
Kids under 18 can go with their parents for free without a membership or biometrics required.
CLEAR Plus allows you to skip to the front of the line. If you have PreCheck you can skip to the front of the PreCheck line and if you don’t have PreCheck you can skip to the front of the regular line.
You don’t need to take out your ID either, your fingerprint or eye act as your ID.
$100 annual LoungeBuddy Credit
Receive up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year when you use LoungeBuddy to pay for lounge access worldwide!
AMEX Offers and protections
- Save worldwide with AMEX Offers
- Get free 2 day shipping with ShopRunner
- Trip Delay Insurance
- Car rental Insurance
- Baggage Insurance Plan
- Purchase Protection
- Extended Warranty
Airline and Hotel transfer partners
AMEX points can be transferred into many different mileage programs, and best of all, there are often transfer bonuses as well.
AMEX transfer partners include:
- Air Canada Aeroplan (Star Alliance) 1:1 instant transfer.
- ANA (Star Alliance) 1:1 transfer.
- Avianca Lifemiles (Star Alliance) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Singapore (Star Alliance) 1:1 instant transfer.
- AeroMexico (Skyteam) 1:1.6 transfer.
- Air France/KLM Flying Blue (Skyteam) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Delta (Skyteam) 1:1 instant transfer.
- British Airways (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer
- Cathay Pacific Asia Miles (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer.
- Iberia (OneWorld) 1:1 transfer
- Qantas (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer
- Qatar (OneWorld) 1:1 instant transfer via BA
- Aer Lingus 1:1 instant transfer.
- Emirates 1:1 instant transfer
- Etihad 1:1 instant transfer
- Hawaiian 1:1 instant transfer
- JetBlue 1:0.8 instant transfer
- Virgin Atlantic 1:1 instant transfer
- Choice Hotels 1:1 instant transfer
- Hilton 1:2 instant transfer
- Marriott 1:1 instant transfer
Some of my favorite AMEX transfer partners include Lifemiles, which has domestic awards starting at just 6.5K miles on their partner United, Delta, which has flash sales for discounted, Air Canada, which has very low rates for travel on United and many other Star Alliance and non-alliance partners with no fuel surcharges, Qantas, which has the lowest priced award travel on their partner El Al, Singapore, which is the best way to redeem for travel on their incredible business and first class suites products, British Airways, which charges low rates for short-haul flights such as on their US partner American, Flying Blue, which has great rates for travel to Europe, ANA, which has a unique round-the-world award chart and inexpensive business class awards with no surcharges on their partner United, and Virgin Atlantic, which has incredible rates for business and first class travel to Asia on partner ANA and great rates on partner Delta, including travel to Israel.
You can upgrade and downgrade between the AMEX Consumer Green, Gold, and Platinum cards.
Will you apply for an AMEX Consumer Green Card?