Update: This sale ends tomorrow!
Originally posted on 12/8:
- Book by 12/31.
- Travel by 5/15/22.
- Valid on Turkish Airlines flights only.
- Use a card like Sapphire Preferred to earn 2 points or Ink Preferred or Sapphire Reserve to earn 3 Chase points per dollar spent and get free trip cancellation/interruption insurance, travel accident insurance, luggage insurance, trip and luggage delay protection, and more!
- Coach passengers can check 2×50 pound bags for free on Turkish.
- Flights connect in Istanbul.
- Turkish is a very highly rated airline. Thousands of religious Jews have taken their flights without issues and report that service has been far superior to other airlines. Turkish has an award winning Star Alliance lounge in Istanbul. They operate a whopping 10 flights a day between Istanbul and Tel Aviv. There are even 2 Synagogues in Istanbul’s airport!
- Turkish offers freshly made kosher meals from Istanbul and Tel Aviv in all classes and the meals for flights departing Istanbul are highly regarded as well. They are made in Turkey and are kosher supervised by the OK and Chabad of Turkey.
Turkish Airlines normally charges 32K miles in coach or 47K miles in business class each way between the US and Israel.
With this sale you’ll pay just 22,400 miles in coach or 32,900 miles in business class each way between the US and Israel!
Fuel surcharges and taxes one-way from JFK to Tel Aviv will add $104 in coach and $233 in business class.
Fuel surcharges and taxes round-trip from JFK to Tel Aviv will add $251 in coach and $508 in business class.
You can search for Turkish Airlines award tickets here. Be sure to search one-way at a time in order to find saver awards. You will need to open a Turkish Airlines mileage account online (Hint: Your password must be exactly 6 numbers or else it will give an error).
Sample business class itinerary:
Compare that to United, which charges 93.5K miles each way for partner airline business class to Tel Aviv, plus $11.20 in taxes.
- Turkish Airlines normally charges 30K miles in coach or 45K miles in business class each way between the US and Europe. For example a one-way flight from JFK to Venice will be 21,000 miles+$100 in coach or 31,500 miles+$224 in business.
- Turkish Airlines normally charges 45K miles in coach or 67.5K miles in business class each way between the US and the Far East. For example a one-way flight from JFK to Singapore will be 31,500 miles+$135 in coach or 47,300 miles+$322 in business.
- Turkish Airlines normally charges 50K miles in coach or 85K miles in business class each way between the US and Southern Africa. For example a one-way flight from JFK to Johannesburg will be 35,000 miles+$135 in coach or 59,500 miles+$322 in business.
As you can see from this chart, you can transfer points to Turkish Airlines from Capital One or Citibank at a 1:1 ratio or from Marriott at a 60K:25K ratio. Transfers from Capital One should be instant, transfer from Citi can take a day or 2, while Marriott transfers can take slightly longer.
Turkish allows you to hold an award for 3 days, which will allow you to transfer in miles after the award is on hold.
Another nice perk is that changes or cancellations cost just $25! That fee may also be waived due to COVID.
Miles expire after 36 months and won’t be extended with activity. But you should never transfer miles unless you’re ready to book an award.
Capital One cards with transferable points to miles include:
- Capital One Venture X offering 100,000 miles+$200 towards vacation rentals, $300 annual travel credit, 10,000 mile anniversary bonus, 2-10 miles per dollar spent, Capital One Lounge access, Priority Pass Lounge access, Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership and more. $395 annual fee. Read more here.
- Capital One Venture offering 60,000 miles, 2 miles per dollar everywhere. Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership. $95 annual fee.
- Capital One Spark Miles offering 50,000 miles for spending $4,500 in 3 months, 2 miles per dollar everywhere. Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership. $0 intro annual fee, then $95 annual fee.
If you or a friend has one of the following Citi cards, you can transfer points into miles:
- Citi Premier has a record high 80,000 points for spending $4,000 in 3 months, 3 points per dollar on airfare, hotels, travel agents, groceries, gas, and dining. $95 annual fee. Read more here.
Citi no-annual fee cards that are fantastic for earning points, but require one of the cards above for points transfers include:
- The Citi Double Cash card offers 2% cash back or 2 points per dollar spent everywhere that can be transferred into ThankYou points. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles. No annual fee. Read more here.
- The Citi Custom Cash Card offers 5 points per dollar on up to $500 in purchases in your top eligible spending category each billing cycle. This is marketed as 5% cash back, but will actually come in the form of 5 ThankYou points per dollar spent! Eligible categories include Restaurants, Gas Stations, Grocery Stores, Select Travel, Select Transit, Select Streaming Services, Drugstores, Home Improvement Stores, Fitness Clubs, and Live Entertainment. You will also get 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months. No annual fee. Read more here.
- The Citi Rewards+ Card offering 15,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months. This card can’t transfer points on its own, but can transfer points if you have one of the Citi cards above. This card automatically rounds up rewards earned on every purchase to the nearest 10 points, meaning you earn 10 points on a $0.50 Amazon balance reload. Earn 2 points on $6K in annual spending at supermarkets, 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, and a 10% points rebate when you redeem points, up to a 10K points rebate per year. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles and get a 10% points rebate on transferred or redeemed miles. No annual fee. Read more here.
Will you take advantage of this sale?