DansDeals will receive compensation if you are approved for a credit card via a link in this post. Terms apply to American Express benefits and offers, visit americanexpress.com to learn more.
In 2017 I flew on United’s final 747 flight and it was a truly incredible experience. We were treated to scenic views and a party flight atmosphere that befitted the sending off of The Queen of the Skies. It was easily one of my favorite flights of all time.
9 years ago Mimi and I flew in first class on Qantas 747s between Hong Kong and Melbourne using the incredible AA round-the-world award chart. Since then Qantas removed first class on their 747s and AA killed their round-the-world awards.
Qantas is in the process of retiring their 747s and the final flight for the Boeing 747 “Lord Howe Island” (VH-OJU) will be on October 13th. But there’s a catch, the only way you can book a seat on the flight right now is with Qantas points!
The cost of the one-way flight is 41.9K points+$137 in coach, 72K points+$272 in premium economy, or 96K points+$322 in business class.
A note for Sabbath-observant Jews, the flight departs Sydney at 5pm on Erev Sukkos (Sunset is 7:06pm) and arrives into Los Angeles at 12:50pm earlier that day, so you’ll want to speak to your LOR before booking such a flight.
- You can transfer AMEX Or Citi points to Qantas at a 1:1 ratio, Barclays points at a 1.4:1 ratio, Capital One points at a 2:1.5 ratio, or Marriott points to Qantas at a 60K:25K ratio.
AMEX cards with transferable Membership Rewards points to Qantas include:
- AMEX Blue Business Plus
- AMEX Platinum Business
- $595 annual fee, earn 1.5 points per dollar on eligible $5K+ transactions, $200 in annual airline fee credits, $200 in annual Dell credits, 1 year WeWork Global Office Space, Marriott and Hilton Gold status, 35% points rebate on paid airfare redemptions, Global Entry/Pre-check, AMEX Global lounge collection access.
- For rates and fees of the AMEX Platinum Business Card, please visit here.
- AMEX Gold Business Card
- AMEX Gold Consumer Card
- $250 annual fee, 40K points welcome bonus, $100 in annual airline fee credits, earn up to 4 points per dollar.
- AMEX Platinum Consumer Card
- $550 annual fee, up to 60K points welcome bonus, earn 5 points per dollar on airfare, $200 in annual airline fee credits, up to $200 in annual Uber credit, up to $100 in annual Saks credit, Marriott and Hilton Gold status, Global Entry/Pre-check, AMEX Global lounge collection access.
- AMEX Everyday Preferred Consumer Card
- $95 annual fee, up to 20K points welcome bonus, earn between 1.5-4.5 points per dollar everywhere with 30+ monthly transactions.
- AMEX Everyday Consumer Card
- No annual fee, up to 15K points welcome bonus, earn between 1.2-2.4 points per dollar everywhere with 20+ monthly transactions.
Barclays doesn’t currently offer any cards to new customers with transferable points. If you have a discontinued Arrival Premier card you can transfer points.
Capital One cards with transferable points to Qantas include:
- The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business offering 50,000 miles for spending $4,500 in 3 months and 2 miles per dollar spent. Get free Global Entry/Pre-Check Membership. $95 annual fee waived for the first year.
- The Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card offering 50,000 miles for spending $3,000 in 3 months and 2 miles per dollar spent. $95 annual fee waived for the first year.
Citi cards with transferable points to Qantas include:
- Citi Premier offering 60,000 points for a limited time for spending $4,000 in 3 months, 3 points per dollar on travel and gas, and 2 points per dollar on dining and entertainment. $95 annual fee.
- Citi Prestige offering 50,000 points for spending $4,000 in 3 months, 5 points per dollar on airfare and dining, and 3 points per dollar on hotels. $495 annual fee.
- The Citi Rewards+ Card offering 15,000 points for spending $1,000 in 3 months. This card can’t transfer points on its own, but can transfer points if you have one of the Citi cards above. This card automatically rounds up rewards earned on every purchase to the nearest 10 points, meaning you earn 10 points on a $0.50 Amazon balance reload. Earn 2 points on $6K in annual spending at supermarkets, 0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months, and a 10% points rebate when you redeem points, up to a 10K points rebate per year. If you also have a Citi Premier Card you can transfer points into miles or get a 25% added value for paid airfare, plus get a 10% points rebate on transferred or redeemed miles. No annual fee.
Marriott cards with transferable points to Qantas include:
- Chase Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Consumer Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Business™ American Express® Card
- Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant™ American Express®Card
- All 3 of these cards offer 75K points for spending $3K in 3 months, elite status, and free annual nights at Marriott hotels.
- Marriott Bonvoy Bold Card offering 50K points for spending $2K in 3 months and no annual fee. Here is a comparison of all Marriott cards.
Will you book a seat on this flight?