Friday, July 18th, 2014, 9:56 am
USAirways: Newark To/From Los Angeles, San Diego, Or San Francisco For $108-$113.50 Each Way; A Refresher On Using ITA To Search For Flight Deals
USAirways has cheap coast to coast fares, as long as you don’t mind flying from or into Newark and making a connection.
The Newark-Los Angeles sale runs until the end of scheduling with 2014 dates running $108-$123.50 each way and 2015 dates running $127.45 each way.
Rather than post every possible sale date like I did for the recent $69 JetBlue sale let’s try teaching some folks how to fish.
1. Open up Google’s ITA Matrix.
2. Select “one-way” and select “see calendar of lowest fares,” as pictured below. Search from NYC which includes EWR, JFK, and LGA. Then select the starting date for it to search for cheap dates.
3. Take a look at the calendar view to see which dates might work for you. The $108, $114, and $115 dates are the USAirways sale dates:
4. Click on a date to view the flight details and compare the price to other options. Based on this date you’ll save $91 each way per passenger by taking the USAirways connecting flight versus a nonstop option. For a family of 6 that’s a savings of more than $1,000 round-trip:
5. Do the same thing for the return, just reverse the routing from LAX to NYC to pull up the sale dates for the reverse direction:
6. ITA doesn’t sell tickets, so once you find cheap dates and flights just hop onto Priceline to book them. You’ll have until 11:30pm the following day to cancel free of charge if you decide to change your plans.