Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
yitzy93
Capshnell

Places To Eat:
shalanu pizza and grill - Chabad
Dinitz (and small kosher store near it)
King Solomon (https://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=924.msg1991612#msg1991612)
King David hotel restaurant

Places to Stay:
King David
Intercontinental
President hotel
Hotel Maximilian
Salvator superior apartments
Boscolo prague autograph collection

Sheraton
Hilton old town
Marriott
Hilton Prague

Places to see:
Jewish quarter- cemetery (maharal and kli yakar), 6 shuls, museum, (can daven micha/maariv at oldnew shul and get free entry),
old town square - municipal house, powder tower, astronomical clock (hourly show), wenclesas square,
Charles bridge (by boat?- Prague Venice boat),
Palace,
metronome- nice view point,
petrin tower viewpoint,
victov hill, free army museum,

Noda beyebuda kever (at zizkov TV tower in prague 3, its an easy 4 stops on the metro from old town, open every day till 4 friday till 2),
Museum, markets (havelska street market, parizska window shopping (right off the ghetto), lesser town (mala strana), dancing house,
water night show at Prague 7,
cable car??, 
45 min night boat tour on river,

Terezin concentration camp -  Drive or hr bus from train station

Holesav- Kevarim of shach , kolin, nikolsberg,

Tips:
can use Triposo app to tour

Tour guide Michael Dushinski, midushy@gmail.com, +420606498214
$80 per hour, minimum 4 hours.

King David hotel has a tour everyday to the major places.

Shacharis
6:30 King David
7:30 King David
7:45 Chabad
8 kehila building (near altneu)

Kosher list

1) always keep a few krona change in your pockets for bathroom breaks. It costs about $0.15-$0.25 USD (in Krona) per visit no one will let you in for free. (besided the chabad restaurants).

2) You can rent boats to go on the Vlatlava river, not sure the cost. You can also rent "City Bikes" in the old town square for 300 Czech krona. (About $12) for 2 hours & every additional hour its 50 krona which is about $2 USD.

3) All Jewish attractions close at 6pm (or 4 in winter).

« Last edited by yitzy93 on December 27, 2023, 08:23:21 PM »

Author Topic: Prague Master Thread  (Read 142138 times)

Online flyingace

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Prague Master Thread
« on: April 20, 2009, 11:57:48 PM »
Looking for driver and/or tour guide in Prague for one day stop-over in the summer. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences to share?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 05:50:25 PM by Dan »

Online momo

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Prague Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:28:17 AM »
Hi I was there a while back, and took a tour of the ghetto with a guy i think his name was raphi. He is israeli but lives in prauge. I dont have his info but you can try to get ahold of him thru chabad as he was the gabbai in shul(whoops! :o just realized that this thread was from last year, but i hope this info will help someone)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 11:41:19 AM by momo »

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »
(whoops! :o just realized that this thread was from last year, but i hope this info will help someone)
That's fine, if anyone is looking into Prague in the future they'll have more info!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline ChikkyMonkey

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 03:50:36 PM »
I don't think there is any need for a guide or driver... Prague is very simple.. you take any taxi from the airport to Jewish quarter will probably cost about $30... once there you go to the cemetery where you can buy tickets to all the shuls, I don't recall 100% but they may have audio guides available...

Prague is great! The Chabad Restauranta Shelanu has some great deli sandwiches at great prices.  Highly recommended!

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
 why cab it when U can take a bus to the subway for a heck of alot less $$

I had a sandwich here it wasnt cheap and not much meat but it was very good, http://www.dinitz.cz/ its a 2 min walk from the Intercontinental Hotel open for meals on Shabbos (wasnt in PRG for Shabbos)

the 3rd place is http://www.kosher.cz/en/ on FT it didnt get nice reviews and they said it was very expensive.Stopped by and the place is fancy also open for Shabbos meals

BTW I Agree with you CM a guide isnt needed, and it was nice walking up to and around the Castle as well.The big draw there is the church but just walking around was nice as well as thru the neighborhood on that side of the River.Where btw alot of Embassys are located so its a very safe area

for most on here the only SPG Hotel is sort of out of the way. The Prague Hilton (not Hilton Old Town) has what most say is the nicest Lounge among all Hiltons , due to the spread they lay out for breakfast and at night, but very little that we can partake of and like the *W is out of the way although right next to a subway stop

Best US Chain Hotels near the JQ are Intercontinnetal (right there but a simple place) Marriott apx 15 min walk or Hilton Old Town (across from the Marriott (Old Renissance)). IMO The Intercontinental is best since its not in the middle of the Tourist area like the HH and Mar = a nicer Shabbos atmosphere. Those with deep pockets the 4 Seasons is apx 10-15 min walk and very near The Charles Bridge quiet area Not the Bridge itself! just think Times Sq on NYE
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 04:34:13 PM by steve2 »

Offline ChikkyMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 10:06:13 PM »
BTW I stayed at the Sheraton in Prague and thought it was lovely. it's not right by the Jewish quarter, but if you're there during the week, it's a very close and inexpensive taxi ride if I recall correctly. The sheraton is quite nice, and new...

The website for Cafe Shalanu (highly recommend it) is: http://www.shelanu.cz/

Offline matzif4u

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Continental Onepass SPG Hilton Honors
Prague
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:36:11 PM »
I plan on stoping in Prague the sunday after Pesach. Any tips? More specificely I plan on staying in Sheraton. Is that far from jewish Quarter? I saw mentioned in a different post something about a ticket to the Jewish sites. What is included in that ticket? Where do I get it? Any recomendations for specific tour? Is Euro widely accepted or do I have to buy Czeck currency? Thanks!
PM me to get $100 Tradeking Referal Bonus!

Offline Jkhein

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
Re: Prague
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »
I plan on stoping in Prague the sunday after Pesach. Any tips? More specificely I plan on staying in Sheraton. Is that far from jewish Quarter? I saw mentioned in a different post something about a ticket to the Jewish sites. What is included in that ticket? Where do I get it? Any recomendations for specific tour? Is Euro widely accepted or do I have to buy Czeck currency? Thanks!

Anyone any updated information?
Planning a 2 day visit, would like to get the Sheraton on c&p but its not available, How does it work, try to email or speak to hotel manager?

Offline kivabb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 04:23:32 PM »
Planning a trip to Prague 3 full weekdays in October. Worth spending the 3 days there or can I do a 24 hour stop close by (or easy flight) that's worthwhile? Thanks

Offline yfriedman7

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2012, 09:51:22 AM »
there is what to do there but not 3 full days worth

Offline pygmalion

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 06:51:20 AM »

I must disagree. There is certainly plenty to do and see for more than three days. Even if you're completely satiated, there are many places in Prague's vicinity that are worth a visit. (This is as actual as it was a year ago  ;))

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
  • Programs: HHonors Gold, Delta Diamond Medallion, AA Platinum Pro
Re: Re: Prague Master Thread
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:05 AM »
+1. I would say 24 hours is good.  - the main attractions is the Jewish quarter,  the old town square (astronomical clock), the Charles bridge and the palace. So maybe a day and a half if u don't want to rush

Offline pygmalion

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 10:23:07 AM »
+1. I would say 24 hours is good.  - the main attractions is the Jewish quarter,  the old town square (astronomical clock), the Charles bridge and the palace. So maybe a day and a half if u don't want to rush

I guess we disagree on what attractions are. For me, Prague and its surroundings contain enough activities for at least a week.

In theory, you could run from one highlight to the next, just enough for a photo op and a quick glance. But that's not visiting, in my opinion.

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 10:32:46 AM »
I guess we disagree on what attractions are. For me, Prague and its surroundings contain enough activities for at least a week.

In theory, you could run from one highlight to the next, just enough for a photo op and a quick glance. But that's not visiting, in my opinion.
Obviously there are more stuff to do. Just like in every place but if he's wondering if he can do it in 24 hours than it'll be enough time to see the main attractions.
By me for example, when I travel sometimes I'm pressured for time so I like to know if I can see the nice attractions in the time I have

But otherwise u can see the noda biyehuda kever. Some nice shipping malls, some museums, markets, walk down parizska and go window shopping, walk through the nice alleys and see the beautiful architecture,  get lost a bit, walk through the lesser city (mala strana) go to a few bars drink some pilsner, see the dancing hotel, go to wetzlav square, see a water night show in Prague 7. + more...

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 04:37:28 PM »
anyone been there recently...know what cab price is aprx. from airport to jewish area?

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »
anyone been there recently...know what cab price is aprx. from airport to jewish area?
Approx 550 czk and the way back u get a 49% discount from them if u bring the coupon they distribute at the airport AAAtaxi
Cheaper way is by metro. If ur interested I can direct U

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
Approx 550 czk and the way back u get a 49% discount from them if u bring the coupon they distribute at the airport AAAtaxi
Cheaper way is by metro. If ur interested I can direct U

cool...plz direct me, thanks! any other tips you have on prague, what to do, etc will be helpful

Offline Cbs

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 04:02:20 AM »
cool...plz direct me, thanks! any other tips you have on prague, what to do, etc will be helpful
when u get out of the airport go accross the parking lot to the buses. take bus number 119 to the "Dejvická metro station" there u go down to the subway and take the A train (Green Line) and to get to the jewish quarter take the subway 2 or 3 stops to "Staromětská"
from there its a few min walk and to the Chabad. there u can walk to it. buy a ticket for the bus in the airport which is 32 czk and it should be enough to get u to Prague 1. unless u want a day pass which isnt too much either.

in Prague 1 theres the jewish Quarter, a couple markets and malls, the famous Charles bridge and Astronomical Clock. in general its just beautiful to walk thru the old city and see the buildings etc..bring a map cuz ull get lost.

Offline YudiG

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
thx

Offline Moishebatchy

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 23
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Arzei Makolet Platinum, Yossi's Makolet Silver, Yesh! Gold, Rav Kav Dirt
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
Has anyone been in Prague for Shabbos? Is the Intercontinental Shabbos-friendly, or full of digital locks and motion sensors?

Is the Sheraton nice enough to be worth going to for Thursday night, and then staying at the IC for Friday/Saturday night? Or should one just stay at the IC the entire time?

Also, what's the parking like in Prague? Especially over Shabbos - anywhere to park without getting towed?