Topic Wiki

Dan's TR: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/87280

Summary of kosher food options in the bay area:

Restaurants:
(all under hashgacha of the Sunrise Kosher / Vaad Hakashrus of Northern California unless otherwise stated)

San Francisco
Sabra Grill (Chinatown)
L'chaim Foods (not a restaurant, take out / delivery only) currently "Under Orthodox Certification of Rabbi Joel Landau."
Frena BakeryDairy and pareve sambusak, burekas, shakshuka, savory and sweet baked goods
Limonnana Middle Eastern dishes, principally Falafel, Shawarma, and Hummus, and of course, delicious limonnanas.
Hummus Bodega Hummus, Falafel, Middle Eastern in the Richmond district

East Bay
Amba Falafel (Oakland) (Fleishig as of 4/28/14). Pas Yisroel available by request CLOSED
Oakland Kosher (Oakland) Fleishigs. Check for certs on www.restaurant.com.
Cafe 3 at UC Berkeley
Touro Kitchen in Vallejo, CA - http://dining.tu.edu/menu.html

South Bay
Izzy's Bagels (Palo Alto) Pas Yisroel. Some Items Cholov Yisroel, Check the kashrus certificate, Open on Shabbos
Kosher Food Oasis at the OFJCC (Palo Alto) Holy Sushi requires ordering in advance. Walk-in orders are accepted for Caffe Mediterraneum and for many items at Malawach Bar. Please check vendor sites for individual holiday hours. All under the Vaad.
Jerusalem Grill (Palo Alto area)  not Kosher, no Kashrus certification, not Jewish owned (as of Nov.22, 2015)
Pars Kosher Market in San Jose, certified by the Vaad, now has a small eat in section (4 tables, first come first serve) with a short meat menu and ready made hot food. Also lots of kosher groceries.
Stanford University Cafeteria weekday lunches five days a week and dinners Monday - Thurs. General public can pay at Florence Moore Dorm and enjoy the Kosher section. Fleishig (meat) for both meals each day. Flo-Mo, as it is called, is on Mayfield Ave., across from the parking lot of Tressidor.  Finding the dining hall can be a challenge for outsiders but any student will direct you.

Groceries (etc):

San Francisco
CHOUX Bakery - French cream puffs (Haight-Ashbury) Pas yisroel, cholov yisroel. No longer certified kosher / open on Shabbos.

East Bay
Oakland Kosher.
Grand Bakery (Oakland) Pas Yisroel, Dairy items are NOT cholov yisroel. Closing 12/23/16
Berkeley Bowl (Berkeley) has some kosher items.
Costco (Definitely the one in Richmond. I believe this applies to others in the Bay Area, but this is what I know firsthand.) has cholov yisroel cheese and Jack's sausages. (As of August 2014)

South Bay
I believe Mollie Stone's in Palo Alto has a big Kosher selection. there are probably other options there as well.

« Last edited by ninjaleh on January 17, 2023, 12:38:15 PM »

Author Topic: San Francisco/No Cal Master Thread  (Read 194357 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
San Francisco/No Cal Master Thread
« on: June 04, 2008, 01:15:48 PM »
I'll be there for a couple of weeks. any ideas?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 01:28:55 PM by Dan »

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: SF Bay area
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:41:59 PM »
gotta do Alcatraz take the audio tour, take the trolley across the city, of course rent bikes to cross the gg bridge ,check out lombard street in genaral its just a nice city.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:44:12 PM »
Visit Palo Alto!
They have a great little bagel shop called Izzy's, and the high-tech community there is really cool... my in-laws are from there.
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

levi

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »
check out lombard street in genaral its just a nice city.
its a really steep and windy street its really cool.

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 03:06:18 PM »
run through china town

levi

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 03:11:35 PM »
run through china town
Sabra Grill, kosher resterant in China town the food is pretty good although its a bit pricey

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Great ideas everybody.
To be honest, I come here pretty often and don't really need the advice, but still...

gotta do Alcatraz take the audio tour, take the trolley across the city, of course rent bikes to cross the gg bridge ,check out lombard street in genaral its just a nice city.
Believe it or not in all my times here I have yet to make it to alcatraz!
The cable cars are pretty cool, I'm way too lazy to ride a bike across the bridge.

Visit Palo Alto!
They have a great little bagel shop called Izzy's, and the high-tech community there is really cool... my in-laws are from there.
Yes, Izzy's is a great bagel shop, however, I'm usually in Berkeley and it's quite a shlep down to Palo Alto...

Sabra Grill, kosher resterant in China town the food is pretty good although its a bit pricey
Also, the owner has such a nasty attitude, it's almost not worth going there...

An alternative to Sabra is the SF New York deli. the food and service are both great.

There is a beutiful area called "The Bridle Path", which is east on lawrence ave. Where there are beutiful stunning mansions. Just drive around the area. Different styles too. Italian, french, etcc.. arcitechral designs. A must see!!! Spent hours there.
??? Uh, I think this belongs in the "Toronto" thread...

Offline ash

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »
if you cant find anything to do then go to market st.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 11:43:47 AM »
Believe it or not in all my times here I have yet to make it to alcatraz!
Its fun, especially if you've seen the movie "The Rock". I kept reliving scenes in my head when I was there...

Yes, Izzy's is a great bagel shop, however, I'm usually in Berkeley and it's quite a shlep down to Palo Alto...

Yeah, but Palo Alto/Silicon Valley has such cool stuff to see. I can set you up with people who can give you a tour of Google's campus. REALLY cool stuff out there...
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 09:06:22 PM »
Yeah, but Palo Alto/Silicon Valley has such cool stuff to see. I can set you up with people who can give you a tour of Google's campus. REALLY cool stuff out there...
one day I'll have to take you up on the google offer...

What else is there to see in that area?

Offline Crown Street

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
Re: San Francisco Master Thread
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 01:15:41 AM »
Anyone know how to get a good deal on hotels in San Fran?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 01:16:17 AM »
Anyone know how to get a good deal on hotels in San Fran?
Priceline?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Crown Street

• Dansdeals Bronze Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 01:20:58 AM »
priceline was being a bit annoying and didnt agree to my bid, so i'll have to try again tomorrow. Also, i'm going to pay $400 for a one way rental from SF to LAX from monday to the following tuesday (w/ chabad enterprise corp). Is there anything else you would recommend?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 01:22:13 AM »
priceline was being a bit annoying and didnt agree to my bid, so i'll have to try again tomorrow. Also, i'm going to pay $400 for a one way rental from SF to LAX from monday to the following tuesday (w/ chabad enterprise corp). Is there anything else you would recommend?
Send me a PM or email and I'll see what I can do.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 02:40:37 AM »
If you make it to the Palo Alto/San Jose area, make sure to check out "The Kitchen Table". I've only hear amazing things about this place:

http://www.thekitchentablerestaurant.com/tkt/

Offline steve2

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 09:14:06 AM »

An alternative to Sabra is the SF New York deli. the food and service are both great.

I heard this place Closed Up(SF NY Deli) can anyone confirm that Unfortunately it should have been Sabra that bit the dust

Offline sprint

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 03:21:07 PM »

I'm sure dans on it if you pmed him but couple of basic steps you may or may not know - i didnt price your res

Rent from rental off airport - there are a few near the airport - and the airport rental there is all the way out at the end of the airtrain anyway...(just you might have to take a cab to the rental place off airport.  Rent for whatever time youll be in san fran.  THen return when ready to drive south - and rent from sfo to lax, (enterprise only does 1 ways airport to airport in the same state with few exceptions).  one ways are mor expensive per day generally than return to same location, and airpot s genereally more than off airport.)

Also, be aware, If you do priceline, particularly if youre looking in the fishermans wharf area - but elsewhere in urban san fran as well, it is not a car friendly city - parkingwise - none on the streets, and the hotels, including the cheap ones like holiday inn, will run you as much as 40-45 a night.

Offline whYME

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 10:02:33 PM »
I heard this place Closed Up(SF NY Deli) can anyone confirm that Unfortunately it should have been Sabra that bit the dust
Yes, unfortunately it did close...

There are a couple of new(ish) places though, there's "The Kitchen Table" in the Palo Alto area (I think it's in Mountain View) that somebody already mentioned. Also there's a new place in Oakland called "Amba Falafel" (I think)
I haven't eaten at either one (yet) but I'm pretty sure I've heard good things about both...

Offline yidybo

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 10:09:44 PM »
hi!

we are looking in to travel to california mid jan, was wondering what is the weather like in the area of the 17 mile drive, i've been to palm desert 4 times in the last 6 years but i'am sure the weather is colder on the coast so i was wondering if anyone can help me out

alos is it to long to be in the 17 mile drive area for 5 days?

thanks in advance
yidybo

Offline thegk

• DansDeals Copper Elite
    • View Profile
san francisco in january
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »
for 3 days. where should we stay? eat? what should we do?

we have 22,000 starwood points, is it worth spending them on a hotel, like Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf Hotel/