Author Topic: Scandinavia Master thread  (Read 21223 times)

Offline E

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Scandinavia Master thread
« on: February 28, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
Copenhagen, Denmark

starting with the price of the flight this trip was great all around besides for the weather. Picked up the JFK-CPH 151.70 ai flight was on delta very old plain. My delta gold status gave me exit row seating (both ways), priority boarding= no lines by security or check-in + lounge access even thought it's not supposed to start till march 1st and I had my plat amex anyhow. Both on the way there and the way back there was a problem with the kosher meal so I was given 5K DL miles each way so total mileage from trip was 25,424.

- CPH is a very nice airport the only airport I remember having wood floors in some places. Train goes strait from airport to the center of town our hotel (Radisson BLU royal hotel) was across the street from the Copenhagen central station. I found the trains really cool, although expensive at round $4 a ride they have free wi-fi soda and coffee vending machines on board. The tickets for the train work on an honor based system there are no ticket gates only once out of the 10 times we were on the train did we see a ticket collector.

- Getting around in the city is pretty easy the buses and trains together cover basically cover everything, In the summer there are free bikes provided by the city. In the winter even when it was freezing outside most people still ride bikes. Everyone in the city speaks a perfect English.
the amount of bikes just laying around the streets are crazy, every street has a full bike lane.

Shabbos was very nice at the chabbad house, great atmosphere and of course people who were visiting from all over the world. As far as kosher food goes we didn't even bother looking we just brought our own. prices of food are extremely high a 1L bottle of coke at a regular grocery was $5! Very funny the chabbad shliach asked us if we found the deal on DD  :D , we were again asked by another random visitor if we ever used DD they always have good deals on flights!!

Sunday our flight was early so we took the train to Malmo Sweden just to say we where in Sweden the train takes around 30 min from the airport. We basically just got on and off the train.

****Main Attractions ****

Carlsberg factory- cost was about $12- (2 beers at the bar at the end of the tour included in the price) you basically give your self a tour of the factory. all in all very interesting, they have there the biggest beer bottle collection in the world. they are currently at 19,884 unique bottles. 

Beer collection (partial view)

Tivoli gardens (open from May to September and again around Halloween and from mid-November to Christmas) - This was across the street from the hotel it was closed though

Nyhaven - is the Copenhagen waterfront, very nice area to walk around

Pic of Nyhaven

Strøget, Europe’s longest pedestrian street. Runs from the Town hall square to Kongens
Nytorv, a total of 3.2 km or 2 miles, with several side streets along. - We walked along this on shabbos it was nice although basically the same as any other shopping street anywhere in the world.

Round Tower - and interesting looking building round in shape the ramp inside looked quite cool. we didn't go in due to the $10 entrance fee (If I remember correctly).

Christiania - A very interesting part of the city, It's basically a bunch of hippies living in a garbage dump everything is spray painted and a dump, there are no paved streets only wide dirt paths. on their "main street" there are street vendors selling drugs, yes in the open!  very interesting to visit check out the Wikipedia article

Rosenborg Castle - when we went they where having a ceremony to welcome back the soldiers from Afghanistan, the actual castle is quite nice and large, we didn't have much time to go in though.

National museum - didn't go

National Gallery - didn't go

Amalienborg Castle / Royal residence in Copenhagen- didn't go
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:10:25 PM by E »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
Re: Scandinavia Master thread
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 01:21:20 PM »
nice report
please tell me youre joking about the malmo trip

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 01:30:51 PM »
nice report
please tell me youre joking about the malmo trip
nope we were thinking about walking around a bit but it was way to cold.

Offline Yaalili

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 157
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 03:14:44 PM »
Great report! Now i feel bad, that i did not get on with the deal :)

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 10:03:08 PM »
Great report! I too would go to Malmo just to 'pin' another country on my travel map, but I'd deff want to do something while there. Did they at least stamp your passport?

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
Great report! I too would go to Malmo just to 'pin' another country on my travel map, but I'd deff want to do something while there. Did they at least stamp your passport?
nope no border patrol.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »
nope no border patrol.

Eh, doesn't count then ;)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 11:31:36 PM »
Eh, doesn't count then ;)
+1 :D  Although my stamp collection is going to cost me soon, I've got almost no room left for stamps and still 2.5 years left on my passport!

Nice report and quite the mileage run...I'm jealous I couldn't take advantage!
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2011, 09:59:27 AM »
+1 :D  Although my stamp collection is going to cost me soon, I've got almost no room left for stamps and still 2.5 years left on my passport!

Wow. Did you add pages before they started charging?  Are you beyond adding pages and need a new one?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 10:19:41 AM »
Wow. Did you add pages before they started charging?  Are you beyond adding pages and need a new one?
I was going to add pages then, but I needed my passport before the deadline so I wasn't able to :(
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »
my passport is full with the added pages. expires in 5 months though

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 05:55:21 PM »
my passport is full with the added pages. expires in 5 months though
Impressive!

Offline moish

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 06:03:49 PM »
well the visas take a page each

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 08:46:37 PM »
Nice report.

Here some add ons:

ARN (stockholm airport) has way more wooden floor.

Be happy tivoly is closed as it cost about 40 euro entrance, as its a very nicely designed theme park in the middle of town.

Did you notice that some wagons in the train are "quit-wagons" ie made for people that want to read. (Not sure why $4 is expensive).

Malmo has an abnormal high percentage of arabs, and you did good not to visit the place.

Did you see the building that was HQ for the Gestapo, and in fear of being bombed by the allies, they put officers (POW) in the top floor.
Well, they still bombed, just the bottom and middle floor, and the offices (POW) could escape.

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:29:03 AM »

Malmo has an abnormal high percentage of arabs, and you did good not to visit the place.

Reminds me of the time I visited "Surfer's Palestine" (Anyone who's from Oz will know what I am talking about) and we were the only Jews in a full bowling alley that was rented out by the "Foundation for the return of Jerusalem".

Offline aussiebochur

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 05:36:40 AM »
Reminds me of the time I visited "Surfer's Palestine" (Anyone who's from Oz will know what I am talking about) and we were the only Jews in a full bowling alley that was rented out by the "Foundation for the return of Jerusalem".
Lol!

Offline damaxer91

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 11:48:54 AM »

Offline E

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 11:42:50 PM »
just to update... I was promised 5K delta compensation each direction for the mess up with the kosher meals, it wasn't coming thru so I called today and told them I didn't get my miles yet the woman asked how many so I tried my luck.. long story short I got 35,424 for 151.70.

Offline ari9

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:04:10 PM »
I'm thinking about taking a trip to the Norway/Denmark/Sweden area this summer (with wife and 1 year old). Any suggestions?! Which place is most recommended? Are these countries anti-Semitic (more or less than Switzerland, for example)? Please give ideas for things to do and places to stay (all the must sees!).
Thanks

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 04:50:41 PM »
Perhaps post what kind of things you like to do. Scenery, nature, museum's, etc.