Author Topic: Any creative ways to Use AMEX to Pay a Merchant that only accepts VISA and MC?  (Read 4532 times)

Offline HSS

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I recently bought approx. $3000 in inventory from a wholesaler and they informed me that they only accept Visa and Mastercard.

Does anyone know of any ways that I could put these charges on my AMEX cards to earn the points, through buying VISA gift cards or something to that effect with preferably no fees, but possibly very low fees.

If anyone has any creative "chaps" that they have thought of and would be willing to share I would appreciate it.

I have to pay them soon, so a quick response would be much appreciated. 
Or if anyone knows of any interesting strategies they would rather not post on an open forum, feel free to PM me.

Thanks in advance!!

HSS

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
I think visa gift cards have a small fee, but prob. worth it.
many stores sell them.
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline HSS

• View Profile
  • Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, BMI Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I think visa gift cards have a small fee, but prob. worth it.
many stores sell them.

Any online linky? I have looked a little and havent found yet... Also have to find a place that will let you buy visa gift cards with AMEX, it seems hard to find.

HSS

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
i found this, but there's a $500 limit per card
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline HSS

• View Profile
i found this, but there's a $500 limit per card

i checked that out already and i only found one's that allow to purchase visa and mastercard not AMEX

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
Buy a Visa/MC GC in a store with coins?
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
Buy a Visa/MC GC in a store with coins?

Or (if the vendor is local) pay them directly with coins?
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline mordys

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Try giftcards.com.  I've used them to buy Visa cards with an Amex.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:34:13 AM by Dan »

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
  • Programs: Barely anything these days...
I've found very often when people say they don't take AMEX, they really do, they just don't want to because they get charged a higher fee, so in such cases you can catch them off guard and they just swipe the card and it goes through before they realize. this has happened to me many times, I once even told the guy after i already payed "hey, i thought you don't take AMEX!?" he just shrugged his shoulders

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I've found very often when people say they don't take AMEX, they really do, they just don't want to because they get charged a higher fee, so in such cases you can catch them off guard and they just swipe the card and it goes through before they realize. this has happened to me many times, I once even told the guy after i already payed "hey, i thought you don't take AMEX!?" he just shrugged his shoulders
+1
I usually do this. take things to the register, and when they say: "we don't accept amex", I say: "well, this is what I have, if you don't want I could leave it here", and I'm starting walking away.
I never had a case that they will tell me: "OK, I would make an exception".
I believe they make profit more than 3% so it won't pay for them to lose a customer. :)
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

I think you mean you never had a case where they won't tell you.

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
+1
I usually do this. take things to the register, and when they say: "we don't accept amex", I say: "well, this is what I have, if you don't want I could leave it here", and I'm starting walking away.
I believe they make profit more than 3% so it won't pay for them to lose a customer. :)

I've heard of people purposely doing that to stores that don't take any cc under a certain amount

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I've heard of people purposely doing that to stores that don't take any cc under a certain amount

With CC minimums it's different, because they often have a transaction/processing fee as well (say $0.15 or $0.20) besides for the 1.5-3.5% fee, so for a $2 charge their CC processing overhead could be 10% of gross (and eat up their profits on low margin items).

Offline lybbtthl

• View Profile
With CC minimums it's different, because they often have a transaction/processing fee as well (say $0.15 or $0.20) besides for the 1.5-3.5% fee, so for a $2 charge their CC processing overhead could be 10% of gross (and eat up their profits on low margin items).
the point i'm saying is, it's not something they can't do, it's something they don't want to do!

and BTW according to m/c, vis and AMEX rules, merchants are not allowed to set minimums!

Offline regalhome

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
I did the opposite
I bought costco gift cards online with my visa to reach my $3000 spend on my sapphire.

Offline Side incomer

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
+1

There is a big difference between them. When denying to accept amex, this means that they are here to squeeze out the most, not that they are looking at their earnings, and they see that they won't profit this way, Just hakol revach. So, I think it's more important for me to make this purchase on amex to meet a spending requirement etc, than for him that he only want to earn another dollar. So I feel comfortable cornering him.

But, for small purchases, it's really not nice to corner them, they really lose from that. And we don't gain from that so much. Not to meet spending requirement, and even not for the stupid 5 points.
Side income is the most solid income... בדוק ומנוסה

Offline AsherO

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
+1

There is a big difference between them. When denying to accept amex, this means that they are here to squeeze out the most, not that they are looking at their earnings, and they see that they won't profit this way, Just hakol revach. So, I think it's more important for me to make this purchase on amex to meet a spending requirement etc, than for him that he only want to earn another dollar. So I feel comfortable cornering him.

But, for small purchases, it's really not nice to corner them, they really lose from that. And we don't gain from that so much. Not to meet spending requirement, and even not for the stupid 5 points.

Your logic is subjective. Objectively speaking he's running a retail operation to pay his bills, you're (hopefully) using a credit card to manage your cash-flow. As your username suggests, credit card signup bonuses is a side income, and not a traditional way of supporting oneself.