Author Topic: Best non-4G phone on sprint (current or coming very soon)  (Read 7985 times)

Offline whYME

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
Best non-4G phone on sprint (current or coming very soon)
« on: December 23, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »
What's the best non-4G phone on sprint (either available now or coming within the next month or 2)

I don't want or need something the size of the Evo or Epic.
Ideally I would like something like the Palm Pre2 (Small form factor, slide out keyboard, fast processor, decent memory) but nobody seems to know if and when it's coming to sprint...

Any ideas?

Offline Cholentfresser

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
Re: Best non-4G phone on sprint (current or coming very soon)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 05:42:27 PM »
im looking for a new sprint phone. i like the features of the Epic but it's huge. i was looking at the Intercept, it looks okay. does anyone here have it or any other good phones that aren't so big?
In order to understand recursion, you first need to understand recursion.

Offline Mordy

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 06:26:21 PM »
the problem is that Sprint's non-4G lineup are kind of weak, because they want to showcase the 4G flagship phones.
The Transform, for example, is pretty slow and laggy.

However, the LG Optimus is actually a really awesome entry-level Android 3G phone. Its the only one I can say this with a straight face about.
Its cheap, little, has GREAT battery life, and since it has the same GPU (adreno 200) as the HTC Evo, it actually FLIES through graphics (scored more fps in my testing compared to an Evo at openGL 3D tests!).

Everyone overlooks this phone because it was offered as a bottom-rung android phone, but I'll be honest- I was extremely impressed with it! If it had a keyboard, it would be perfect IMO. Can't beat the price, either (between free and $50, depending on promotion).
Mobile Enthusiast Extraordinaire

Visit one of the Tech Blogs I write: http://www.techcitement.com

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 07:03:51 PM »
thanx.
i'm looking for a phone with QWERTY, does anyone know about the htc touch pro2? i looks like a pretty good phone, just that it's windows which means it has very few apps as apposed to any android phone...

Offline jong

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
thanx.
i'm looking for a phone with QWERTY, does anyone know about the htc touch pro2? i looks like a pretty good phone, just that it's windows which means it has very few apps as apposed to any android phone...

been using the Tp2 since it came out - upgraded from the Tp1. I've always loved windows mobile. There are hundreds of apps that one can use - from siddur, tehillim, etc. to a cocktail mixer app. It's kinda laggy out of the box, so if you are somewhat tech savvy learn to unlock (hardspl) and flash a custom rom.

Touch Pro 2 should now be running windows mobile 6.5. If the phone you get turns out to be 6.1, update the firmware.

Besides that, the phone is responsive, fits in the hand pretty well; albeit being slightly thick.. i wear somewhat tight jeans yet still manage to fit it in my front pocket from time to time. QWERTY keyboard is impeccable. Has a great exchange server for outlook or gmail (even syncs contacts)

only downfall - no flash when taking pics

I can go on for days raving about this phone.

I bought the evo shift and will prly return it because it isnt much of an upgrade from the Tp2

if u need any help with the phone if u get it, just ask

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 10:39:49 PM »
thank you jong. I saw on cnet about the 6.5 upgrade.
a friend of mine has it and he said he's also been  very happy with it.
what do u mean to unlock and flash it, what does that mean? (as u can see I'm not so tech savvy...)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 10:51:51 PM »
He means basically in computer terms that you would format it and install a customized OS.

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »
thanx. if I end up getting it, i'll def. turn here for assisstence.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2011, 11:38:53 PM »
thanx. if I end up getting it, i'll def. turn here for assisstence.

Hasn't that phone been released eons ago?

DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 02:11:38 AM »
Ah, Windows Mobile. Ok, its really late and I'm about to unload one of mobile tech rants (been a while since I've done this, so hold on to your hats, folks!)

I used to be the biggest fan of WM. I spent a semester researching it for an independent study credit in Operating Systems for a college class almost 8 years ago.
I'm pretty confident in saying I know the pros and cons of that platform relatively well (Been hacking these things since before they were converged into phones). More recently, I was a regular featured guest on the ppcgeeks podcast, and wrote some of the early flashing tutorials for CDMA handsets on XDA... I still have nostalgia about my old Compaq iPaq Pocket PC (pre HP's acquisition of Compaq).

But enough about my love affair with the OS...
Unlike iOS and Android which only started off recently, apps for Windows mobile date back to Pocket PC, and are mostly backwards compatible with earlier WinCE apps as well. This means that you actually have well over a decade of applications in existence for the platform. The problem? There is no centralized app store, so you have to actually do some leg work and scour websites like XDa-developers and PPCGeeks to find them (yes, MS eventually brought a market to WM 6.5, however it was too little and too late- the developers weren't interested and submissions were weak).

But, that's only really part of the problem... You see, Microsoft's platform suffers from what I like to call "too many cooks" syndrome.
There's an old adage that goes something like "Too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth". Everyone wants to put their spin on how it should taste, and add their own spices. Each on their own probably would taste great, put them together and it could turn vile.
There are too many people involved in deciding your experience as a user with Windows Mobile classic. That is, Microsoft designed an interface based on the WinNT desktop UI, complete with true multitasking (if an app is minimized, it is not closed). Part of the team wanted it to be more like a Palm Pilot of the time (which was outselling early Windows Handheld computers), so they redesigned the project to ditched the start menu and task manager, and made a one-screen-at-a-time sort of interface. But the problem is, it is still a true multitasking system in the background, and there was much dispute as to whether to give users control over closing apps with minimize and close buttons (like a desktop windows), or rather keep it simple, let the OS do it on its own and keep the user from having to understand how it works.
The end result is that in pure Windows Mobile, you can hit the X button on an app like media player to launch something else, and its still playing in the background, making noise and eating up your resources!
Manufacturers like HTC decided to try and give users a better experience. One way was to enable certain task-management apps of their own design to allow users to properly close things they don't want anymore. But Microsoft designed their apps NOT to be closed, but rather to close gracefully by the OS when IT decides to! That means, if you use HTC's close app function to close something like Notepad, you could possibly lose the note you were writing because it didn't save to memory yet. And unlike desktop Office, there's no prompting you to save it before it closes. The app will just close, taking all your unsaved business with it. I've had this happen on early WM devices, and it was MADDENING. On top of that, HTC designs the hardware, and decides some things are more important than others... for example, they ditched the directional pad on the TP2, which you used to be able to use to scroll through lists on screen. Remember, WM was originally designed to be used with a stylus, so the lists are often not very finger friendly. HTC decided they wanted to present you with a more finger-friendly interface, and directional pads aren't worth using anymore. But, when I run legacy apps from years ago (like the siddur, for example), the index does not scroll with my finger. I used to be able to scroll with the d-pad, but HTC decided I don't need it anymore, even though MS thought I do!

Then, after MS's conflicting design agendas, HTC's added UI elements (that may conflict even more with MS's), then you get the CARRIER CUSTOMIZATIONS, in this case, Sprint decides to throw their junk and tweak a few things to be the way they think customers should use the phone.

What I'm trying to say is that by the time you get the device, its a hodgepodge of misaligned features and functions, so many people have put their spin on it, trying to make it do different things in different ways, that only someone with the patience to straighten it all out can really take advantage of how powerful it truly is.
Yes, Windows Mobile is extremely powerful. But also extremely convoluted. If you're tech savvy, its great- flash some custom roms, get some mortscripts running, run your own FTP server from the phone, compile code, download torrents... its awesome. But if you're not, its a mess. And way more complicated than it needs to be. I can NOT recommend it in good faith without warning you about what you're getting in to.

The final straw for me was the lack of developer support. The custom roms scene started to slow down, and there wasn't much drive to write new apps because the community was dwindling. When Microsoft announced Windows Phone 7, which is NOT AT ALL COMPATIBLE WITH 6.5 and earlier, it was the nail on their coffin for me. The platform is dead, there's no way around it.
Sure, its still really useful, and the TP2 has one of the BEST KEYBOARDS I've ever used on a mobile device, but I refused to go down with the sinking ship. Windows Phone 7 is a huge step backwards (at least they had the decency to stop calling it Windows Mobile, since it has NOTHING to do with the legacy OS), and now the bugs and issues with 6.x will officially never get fixed as they've dropped support entirely.

If you're happy with that it does out of the box, by all means get a TP2. I sure did love mine. But I think part of what kept me going was knowing that the next update would bring it closer to being the perfect phone. And it just never got there. And now it never will.
If you've never used one before, its kind of late to be jumping on. Sadly, there's really no decent keyboard smartphone on Sprint right now that isn't 4G. The intercept/moment/transform are essentially the same, and all riddled with bugs (google it, you'll see- the low end Samsungs are terrible), WM6 is... well, what I said above, Windows Phone 7 isn't on Sprint yet, which leaves you with WebOS (the pre and pixi are all aging now), and Blackberry (ha! did I really list them with "smartphones"? I must be really tired).

The way I see it, the only decent options are pay the 4G fee and get a Evo Shift, or ditch the keyboard and get the Optimus. The keyboardless Optimus may not be ideal, but believe me when I tell you it really is that much better than any of the low end keyboard phones.

Online AsherO

• Global Moderator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 30K Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 02:17:03 AM »
An abridged version please, since Purim is in over two months... ;)
DDF FFB (Forum From Birth)

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:40:53 AM »
wow! mordy, I regret even mentioning WM. lol
thank you very much.
is the Evo Shift one of those big bulky phones? (sorry, I'm on my phone...)

Offline jong

• Dansdeals Gold Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »
wow! mordy, I regret even mentioning WM. lol
thank you very much.
is the Evo Shift one of those big bulky phones? (sorry, I'm on my phone...)

hold the htc touch pro 2 in your hand... it is almost identical in size, only difference is the tp2 has rounded corners, the evo shift is pointed

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »
I've been a lifelong Palm OS fanboi and Mordy's been the same for Windoze Mobile.
Either way we're both clinging to dead platforms...
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 01:24:06 PM »
:) me 2 , I've been in denial :'(. But I'm slowly emerging. Not sure yet where to go (especially since I don't get any upgrades - plan too cheap :p). So for now we stay with the Centro!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:31:58 PM by elikay »

Offline Cholentfresser

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 02:37:04 PM »
I've also had the centro for a number of years. I'm on the SERO plan. but I may be switching to a family plan, can't wait to get rid of the palm...

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »
If you're happy with that it does out of the box, by all means get a TP2. I sure did love mine. But I think part of what kept me going was knowing that the next update would bring it closer to being the perfect phone. And it just never got there. And now it never will.
how much worse than TP2 is the Intrepid?

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 07:00:33 PM »
I've been a lifelong Palm OS fanboi and Mordy's been the same for Windoze Mobile.
Either way we're both clinging to dead platforms...

Haha, good times, Dan!
Yes, but I'm a reasonable person. I recognized that Windows Mobile always had faults, its just the the pros outweighed the cons consistently with everything that came out until recently. Once they officially dropped support for a new platform (that doesn't even deserve to be called WinMobile anymore, so they changed "mobile" to "phone". Honestly, they should have just named it Zune Phone 1.0), and the classic development community starting jumping ship for greener pastures, the pros no longer outweighed the cons, and it was time for me to reconsider.

I know I always seemed like an MS fanboy, but I'm not really- I've had many mobile platforms, from Psion to Palm to Symbian, and I've loved them all.
Currently on my desk are 2 HTC Windows Mobile phones (vogue and TP2), a Palm Pre, an LG Optimus S, and two prime Nokia s60 smartphones (actually, one is with my brother in Israel at the moment).
The Optimus has become my regular daily use phone because of its build quality and awesome battery life. It also helps that I'm enjoying Android. But... I do miss certain things about Windows Mobile sometimes. However, I'm impressed with what Google has done and can't imagine going back to losing some of these features (voice dictated text messaging is a killer feature- use it in the car to respond to sms daily!).
But I'm brand agnostic. I prefer HTC, but look, I'm using an LG because it just makes more sense for me. Who knows, maybe WebOS 2 will go main stream and I'll pick up one of those next... *snicker* sorry, I can't even say it with a straight face! I do wish HPalm luck, though. Its a beautiful OS.

how much worse than TP2 is the Intrepid?

That's a tough call. The TP2 actually ISN'T bad- in fact, the hardware is exceptionally well built in my opinion. Its the OS that is a problem now. The Intrepid is the opposite. Google is great, but the build quality on that thing is horrendous. Buggy, freezes, slow, etc. Pick your poison?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:04:38 PM by Mordy »

Offline gozalim

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
That's a tough call. The TP2 actually ISN'T bad- in fact, the hardware is exceptionally well built in my opinion. Its the OS that is a problem now. The Intrepid is the opposite. Google is great, but the build quality on that thing is horrendous. Buggy, freezes, slow, etc. Pick your poison?
you mean intercept (android). i'm asking about intrepid (WinMo 6.5).

Offline Mordy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:28:52 PM »
you mean intercept (android). i'm asking about intrepid (WinMo 6.5).
Oh, LOL- I remember the Intrepid! It was the first "official" 6.5 device, and it was released without any fanfare as a sort of "blackberry" alternative.

Actually, I'd take the TP2 over the intrepid any day, if you want my opinion. The TP2 has better hardware, a bigger screen, more comfortable keyboard, and more community support (tweaks, accessories, custom roms, etc). The intrepid never really caught on honestly, most actually forgot it ever existed (myself included, apparently).

I played with one once, and it wasn't bad (if you're into that layout), but again, neither was the TP2. Both running WinMo, I'd pick the TP2. It doesn't hurt that there was a semi-working port of Android working for the TP2 last I checked (not sure where they got up to with that, I stopped following development a while ago).

But, whatever you choose, do it QUICKLY.
By the end of this month, it will no longer matter if the phone is 4G or not, Sprint intends to charge the premium data fee for all smartphone activations after Jan 30th (everything from the Optimus down to the old Treo 750 in your closet):
http://www.androidcentral.com/sprint-notices-youre-using-data-adding-10month-fee-all-smartphones