Author Topic: Need someone to fight a NJ speeding ticket  (Read 20169 times)

Offline Avid Reader

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 2
    • View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
Need someone to fight a NJ speeding ticket
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:59:57 PM »
Posting for a friend. Does anyone have a good guy to fight a speeding ticket in NJ? It's mainly to avoid getting points on a NY state license.

Offline moishh

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Re: Need someone to fight a NJ speeding ticket
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »
tell him to fight it himself...i reccomend getting the court date changed to a later date (to increase chances of cop losing his notes, or not even  showing). Then when you get in front of judge, if he has a decent driving record, and can ask nicely, and a decent excuse for speeding, he should ask the judge to reduce the ticket to a no points ticket.  Most of the time, unless the judge is a tush, or the guy has bad driving record, the judge will comply.  Im assuming the ticket wasn't more than 25 over?  if it is, then the best he'll get is a reduction of points and fines, to maybe 2 points.  No point in getting a lawyer. They charge a lot, and won't do more than what I just said.  Experience, experience, experience...  :)

Offline elikay

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 09:45:29 PM »
Let me clarify a point here: In NJ there is an option offered to pay a lot of money (500?) to have a ticket reduced to no points. This will still go on your record as whatever violation you have, AND will result in your insurance going up, as it wil still appear on your record. This is the most commonly offered deal - without a lawyer. A lawyer might be able to have it reduced to a lower category or even non-moving violation. Additionaly I don't know if the no points will save you from getting points in NY, as often the points are for getting a ticket in another state. Not an actual transfer of points.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 09:55:25 PM »
tell him to fight it himself...i reccomend getting the court date changed to a later date (to increase chances of cop losing his notes, or not even  showing). Then when you get in front of judge, if he has a decent driving record, and can ask nicely, and a decent excuse for speeding, he should ask the judge to reduce the ticket to a no points ticket.  Most of the time, unless the judge is a tush, or the guy has bad driving record, the judge will comply.  Im assuming the ticket wasn't more than 25 over?  if it is, then the best he'll get is a reduction of points and fines, to maybe 2 points.  No point in getting a lawyer. They charge a lot, and won't do more than what I just said.  Experience, experience, experience...  :)
Strongly disagree.
Lawyers are excellent at getting points taken off.
When you go by yourself it's just your word against the cop, but with a lawyer they always seem to be able to pull some magic.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moishh

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:11:24 PM »
Strongly disagree.
When you go by yourself it's just your word against the cop, but with a lawyer they always seem to be able to pull some magic.
small mistake.  WHen you ask for a point reduction, it has nothing to do with the cop.  Very often you speak with an arbitrator without the cop before going into the court room with the judge. The arbitrator has the ability to offer you a deal, and if you have a good driving record, the arbitrator will usually offer you a plea bargain that your ticket will be reduced if you agree to plea guilty.  And even if you make it in front of the judge, the you can ask the judge to make the same deal. The only magic the lawyers pull, is they usually do so many cases at the local court houses that the arbitrators know them, and usally give them the same plea bargains on every ticket (obviously depending the driving record of the driver, and the severity of the ticket, but all within the same range).  They do have a slight advantage with this, but the expense is not worth the small chance that you won't come out ahead on your own.
And the trick with changing the court date has worked with me twice. and others have reported it working for them too. Not foolproof-but neither is the lawyer.
And Dan, you are right. I wouldn't suggest going head to head with a cop unless you have a very good argument (as I did once fighting a U-turn ticket into a service lane...did some research and found out that legally it is most likely not considered a U-turn- law book is vague, so according to several lawyers it was a great argument which they have found to work many times....turned out I didn't need it as the cop showed without his notes  :)

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »
Listen, I don't know the logitics, I just know lawyers do work.
I has a lawyer get a "right on red without a complete stop" changed into "driving an unsafe vehicle" and got out of a speeding camera ticket completely with a lawyer.
Of course it does help to know a lawyer personally that will help you out...thanks Fred! :)
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline moishh

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:25:41 PM »
Lawyers do help.  and if no one personally that wont charge you, than def. go for it. No reason not to...otherwise, Id recommend doing your research and fighting it yourself to save the lawyer fee. (unless its worth it for you not to have to go down to court)
I'd get the court date delayed and atleast buy yourself more time and increase your chances of winning.  with my knowledge of the system, thats my opinion....but to each his own.

Offline eliteflyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:27:18 PM »
Strongly disagree.
Thanks for sticking up for the lawyers :-) - A member of the NY Student Bar.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 20
    • View Profile
  • Programs: LH SEN, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Rav Kav Platinum
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 12:42:29 AM »
BIG misconception. You cannot get points on a NY license from a NJ ticket

http://www.nysdmv.com/dmvfaqs.htm#tickets

Scroll down to "If I get a ticket for a moving violation in another state, do I receive points on my NYS driver license?"

Many lawyers have told me that you do. Don't know if they're just mis-informed, or want the case, but you don't.

Make sure he pays the fine though, because they WILL suspend his license if he doesn't
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 12:46:38 AM by Chaikel »
Create professional looking itineraries.
Check out eliteitinerary.com

Offline elikay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:06 AM »
We have a winner!

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 02:43:24 AM »
interesting. i received points on my ca license for a ticket in nj

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 03:04:15 AM »
interesting. i received points on my ca license for a ticket in nj
Every state has their own laws.

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 03:07:57 AM »
Every state has their own laws.
+1
It just surprises me how few ppl know NY's.

My parents paid a lot of money to a lawyer to get my brother off a NJ ticket. No one ever believes me. I guess on a forum it's easy just to post a link, and no one can really argue with you.

When I registered my car in NJ, they tried to make me change my license to NJ. I refused, NY laws are too good to pass up. Plus I still got NJ insurance rates, as my car was registered in NJ.

Offline whYME

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 03:35:13 AM »
I once got a ticket in NJ with a NY License.
I went in to "fight" it, they had a whole assembly line going, they schedule all of that cops tickets for the same day and before going before the judge they offered everybody to plead guilty in exchange for knocking it down one level (maybe it depends how fast you're going, I got busted about 75 in a 55 zone)
I took the deal and when my chance came to go before the judge I gave some sob story or something why I should get the minimum fine (I don't remember exactly what but it worked)
I did not get any points on my license.
this was about 7 years ago, I don't know if anything changed since.

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 04:57:01 AM »
Chaikel saved the day here, but can one not (works in europe) get some guy from another country sign that he drove your vehicle at the time, so yes, you pay for the fine, but shouldn't get points, as you didn't drive.
In some countries, this shtick also gets the cops to go after the person who signed for the fine.
This person is usually some israeli that will never step out of israel, or someone that has become real estate.

«Its fine Racing with your car...
...if getting a Sprint© deal on the fine.»

Offline Chaikel

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 08:18:52 AM »
Chaikel saved the day here, but can one not (works in europe) get some guy from another country sign that he drove your vehicle at the time, so yes, you pay for the fine, but shouldn't get points, as you didn't drive.
In some countries, this shtick also gets the cops to go after the person who signed for the fine.
This person is usually some israeli that will never step out of israel, or someone that has become real estate.

«Its fine Racing with your car...
...if getting a Sprint© deal on the fine.»
It should work if it's a camera, but speeding tickets in the US are almost always by an actual person, in some places (not NY) they actually make you sign that all the info on the ticket is true.

If that happens you can't really say anything.

Also in NY (not sure about other places in the US) you don't get points if you get caught by a camera. I've heard that they may change that, but afaik, that is still the case

Offline moishh

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 08:54:10 AM »
I once got a ticket in NJ with a NY License.
I went in to "fight" it, they had a whole assembly line going, they schedule all of that cops tickets for the same day and before going before the judge they offered everybody to plead guilty in exchange for knocking it down one level (maybe it depends how fast you're going, I got busted about 75 in a 55 zone)
I took the deal and when my chance came to go before the judge I gave some sob story or something why I should get the minimum fine (I don't remember exactly what but it worked)
I did not get any points on my license.
this was about 7 years ago, I don't know if anything changed since.
No change...still the same.  Which is why paying for a lawyer is usually a waste of money.

Offline Avid Reader

• View Profile
  • Programs: Starwood Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star Gold, Marriott Silver, National Executive
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 08:58:26 AM »
Thanks a lot guys!

Offline moishh

• Dansdeals Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 09:05:40 AM »
Good luck!

Offline SuperFlyer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 09:55:44 AM »
So how do you fight a fine, if you sign that you agree.