Topic Wiki

Trip Reports:
smart brit
Tova
@Yehuda
Yehoshua
« Last edited by Dan on August 04, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

Author Topic: Gibraltar Master Thread  (Read 53185 times)

Offline eli1571

• Dansdeals Lifetime Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Gibraltar Master Thread
« on: July 06, 2010, 04:25:35 PM »
anyone been to gibraltar ? whats the cheapest way to get there ? whats there to do there ?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:33:40 PM by jj1000 »

Offline SuperFlyer

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Spain Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:44:28 PM »
Wasn't there, but have heard that people throw up while landing on the short twisted strip.

Go for a boat ride to Morocco.

Go visit the monkeys on "the rock".

The whole place is duty free.

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
anyone been to gibraltar ? whats the cheapest way to get there ? whats there to do there ?

Ok I will take the bait

why would you be interested in going somewhere you know absolutly nothing about. I understand asking about the cheapest way to get somewhere, but I dont understand asking what is there to do.

As usually the reason I fly somewhere is either cause there are things I want to do or see there = I know something about what the place has to offer , or Im flying on a cheap tkt to earn Miles. So yes at times I may have in my mind 1 of the 2 questions you asked but I cant ever remember have both of them at the same time, regarding the same Destination

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 06:33:12 PM »
Maybe he wants to ad a "pin" to his travel map. There is something about just going to far places.

OK but Gibraltar isnt Far, intriguing IMO yes, but Ive heard about it and thats why its on my to see list as is Malta.

I havent been to many places but I cant remember making a post about a place that I know nothing about and simply asking if I go what is there to do once there

Had they asked about a minyan or meals for Shabbos or restaurants that would have been 1 thing. But to ask what to do once there is completely something else. For starters either google gib or go to a library or book store and look at a travel book on it

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 09:49:12 AM »
Ok I will take the bait

why would you be interested in going somewhere you know absolutly nothing about. I understand asking about the cheapest way to get somewhere, but I dont understand asking what is there to do.

As usually the reason I fly somewhere is either cause there are things I want to do or see there = I know something about what the place has to offer , or Im flying on a cheap tkt to earn Miles. So yes at times I may have in my mind 1 of the 2 questions you asked but I cant ever remember have both of them at the same time, regarding the same Destination

well it sounds like your someone thats very calculated in everything they do. ill explain everything but just have a little question whats wrong with the fact that someone decided that they want to go to a place without knowing much just that they heard its interesting and want to go there and are asking for more details.now as to my specific story I'm asking about it cause i have an offer to go there with someone. i know all about seeing the monkeys there etc but i wanted to hear some more ideas.

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »
OK but Gibraltar isnt Far, intriguing IMO yes, but Ive heard about it and thats why its on my to see list as is Malta.

I havent been to many places but I cant remember making a post about a place that I know nothing about and simply asking if I go what is there to do once there

Had they asked about a minyan or meals for Shabbos or restaurants that would have been 1 thing. But to ask what to do once there is completely something else. For starters either google gib or go to a library or book store and look at a travel book on it
i think you should write a list of rules exactly what you're allowed to ask etc. based on how you do it

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »
well it sounds like your someone thats very calculated in everything they do. ill explain everything but just have a little question whats wrong with the fact that someone decided that they want to go to a place without knowing much just that they heard its interesting and want to go there and are asking for more details.now as to my specific story I'm asking about it cause i have an offer to go there with someone. i know all about seeing the monkeys there etc but i wanted to hear some more ideas.

well had you posted in your 1st post what you just posted then my post wouldnt have been made

It seemed that you simply took a dart and threw it at a map and Bingo it landed on or nearest to Gib = why you were going to go there

Unfortunately all too many kids on here dont spell out why they are asking what they are.Eg there was a person who asked wheres a nice starwood cat4 or below Hotel to go to, I answered The 4 Points in Sydney,AU  they answered back too far away and they want to stay in North Am. So I asked does that include Mex and Canada what about Alaska or Hawaii as they too are far. My point to you and Everyone else is You should Spell out and Specify as much as possible in your 1st post.

also what might be interesting to me may not be to you and vice versa. So Gib might have some great museums but that doesnt interest you how is anyone to know, why cant people spell out what they are interested in doing

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
i think you should write a list of rules exactly what you're allowed to ask etc. based on how you do it

no the problem is Common Sense isnt so common

walk into Barneys and they ask you can I help you and you answer Id like to buy some clothes, so they take you and show you some very expensive dresses, you tell them you dont wear dresses and not looking to spend $10,000 or near that amount on any 1 garment. Well if you knew that from get go why not say so

No one can read anyones mind , the more a person says in a post the more Help they can get from the other members on here and the better this site will be for Everyone

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »
Ok I will take the bait

I hope that you don't take too much offense to this as you are a very valuable resource on this site, but why does every one of your posts need to be a loaded commentary on what you think is wrong with the OP's questions? Why can't you just answer the question or keep it to yourself? Once again I apologize if I am being offensive in any way, shape or form

Offline steve2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »
I hope that you don't take too much offense to this as you are a very valuable resource on this site, but why does every one of your posts need to be a loaded commentary on what you think is wrong with the OP's questions? Why can't you just answer the question or keep it to yourself? Once again I apologize if I am being offensive in any way, shape or form

the only I offense I take is your bias against me , unless you havent read this thread as of yet since no where on it is a post by you saying what you said to me to both aussie & MikeO http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=2793.0

if this site was limited to just Chabadniks or Shomer Shabbos people that might be 1 thing, but since its not and as it grows it will only get worse. I saw how FT was when I 1st joined it back in '99 and how along the way they started to implement things in order to keep the Boards in an orderly fashion, so Im simply trying to prevent this site from having to suffer what FT did many yrs ago, sorry for caring. Its not only aimed at the person who wrote the post but to others who read it as well so that hopefuly when they make a post or start a new thread they wont follow suit.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:36:23 PM by steve2 »

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 06:58:51 PM »
i was there last summer. i spent shabbos in gib as i toured the south of spain. we stayed at the rock hotel, which was our second choice . our first choice, the eliott, was fully booked as pesach krohns group was also there. theres obviously the top of the rock which can be accessed by cable car or taxi. its a beautiful view plus wild monkies running about. my daughter loved it. theres also caves to explore at the top. we then took a boat ride out to see the dolphins. we ate the friday night by the rabbi, after meeting his son on the ft boards. shabbos day we ate with the p. krohn group after the director invited us. there are some shuls which date way back. on sunday we day tripped to tangier.

Offline eli1571

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 05:43:44 AM »
i was there last summer. i spent shabbos in gib as i toured the south of spain. we stayed at the rock hotel, which was our second choice . our first choice, the eliott, was fully booked as pesach krohns group was also there. theres obviously the top of the rock which can be accessed by cable car or taxi. its a beautiful view plus wild monkies running about. my daughter loved it. theres also caves to explore at the top. we then took a boat ride out to see the dolphins. we ate the friday night by the rabbi, after meeting his son on the ft boards. shabbos day we ate with the p. krohn group after the director invited us. there are some shuls which date way back. on sunday we day tripped to tangier.
is the elliot hotel nicer then the rock hotel ? i was thiking of staying in the rock

Offline moish

• Dansdeals Lifetime 10K Presidential Platinum Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AA LT Plat, Avis, SPG Plat
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 04:40:58 PM »
the rock was fine for us. the views were beautiful as well. i believe the elliott is nicer though and you dont have to walk up a pretty big hill on shabbos to get there

Offline andrew

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:58:28 AM »
I just got a flight to Malaga for 55k CO. When are you planning this trip for?
from where? if i go it would be july23 to 25
how bout you?

Offline txtmax4

• Dansdeals Lifetime Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »
the only I offense I take is your bias against me , unless you havent read this thread as of yet since no where on it is a post by you saying what you said to me to both aussie & MikeO http://www.dansdeals.com/forums/index.php?topic=2793.0

I have read the posts by Aussie & Mikeo and they are totally trying to get more info in order to HELP. The information they request is in order to have a clearer picture in order to share the right info with Eli.
Your post, on the other hand, is 100% to bash Eli. The only info you wanted to know was simply to satisfy your curiosity. Yes, what if he "simply took a dart and threw it at a map and Bingo it landed on or nearest to Gib"?
He's entitled.
If You See Something, Say Something!!

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 10:34:18 PM »
Looking into going to Spain (+Morroco) this summer and am trying to sort things out. I would fly to Lisbon for a day and then from there fly to Morocco for a few days. Would then fly to Malaga from Casablanca.

I would land in Malaga on Friday at 340 pm, with Shabbos at 9:15 pm. Would it be worth renting a car and driving to Gibraltar for Shabbos or better to hang out Shabbos in Malaga? Wondering from a timing perspective as well as a better place to be for Shabbos.

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 01:11:25 PM »
Looking into going to Spain (+Morroco) this summer and am trying to sort things out. I would fly to Lisbon for a day and then from there fly to Morocco for a few days. Would then fly to Malaga from Casablanca.

I would land in Malaga on Friday at 340 pm, with Shabbos at 9:15 pm. Would it be worth renting a car and driving to Gibraltar for Shabbos or better to hang out Shabbos in Malaga? Wondering from a timing perspective as well as a better place to be for Shabbos.

Malaga to Gibraltar is an hour drive on the highway.  Gib is a great place for Shabbos.

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 10:02:44 PM »
Ok so we are going to aim for Gibraltar in that case. Are there places I can buy food for Shabbos? Going with a baby so eating out wont really work for us.

Offline LAXtraveler

• DansDeals.com Hat Tips 4
    • View Profile
  • Programs: AAdvantage, DL Skymiles, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis Preferred, National Executive, Hertz #1 Club Gold
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 10:25:53 PM »
Ok so we are going to aim for Gibraltar in that case. Are there places I can buy food for Shabbos? Going with a baby so eating out wont really work for us.

When I was there, there were a couple places that did take out - not sure what's around there now. 

Offline Fan of Dan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 01:52:50 AM »
When I was there, there were a couple places that did take out - not sure what's around there now.
Thats good I will look around in that case. Is there anything else to do in the area? Is driving to Madrid via Sevilla and Cordoba a good way to spend a few days? Other option is to fly to Barcelona from AGP near Gibraltar and spend a few days there.

I initially was gonna fly to Barcelona and then drive to Nice but one way rentals are out of control (best I found for 3 days was abt 800)