Author Topic: Australia (Besides Melbourne And Sydney) Master Thread  (Read 87351 times)

Offline Smirk

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Silver Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 0
    • View Profile
Australia (Besides Melbourne And Sydney) Master Thread
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:51:56 PM »
Has anyone gone to Australia, I'd like to go in a few months. Any tips on airlines/hotels/things to do?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:50:39 PM by Dan »

Offline Charles The Govenor

• Dansdeals Platinum Elite + Lifetime Gold Elite
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
Re: Australia Master Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 08:00:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure quantas and united are the only ones that go direct from the stated and I believe they leave from either lax or sfo.

Offline ash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:21 AM »
also there is a new virgin type airlines that had flights for cheap

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:57:55 PM »
is this what you mean? http://www.vaustralia.com.au/ it doesnt look like they fly from the US

Offline Charles The Govenor

• View Profile
  • Programs: UA PLAT AA PLAT
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 06:56:07 PM »
United and american fly direct from sfo-syd

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:37:57 AM »
No, American does not fly to Oz. The airlines that fly to Australia are United, Delta, Qantas and V Australia.

Tickets have been cheaper than ever this summer with fares on Qantas, United and Delta all as low as $700 USD from JFK(via LAX or SFO) and $620 from the west coast. Don't expect fares to stay that low for long though cause winter is ending down under and the fares will rise. In general, try and avoid United on that route at all costs as they fly ancient planes without PTV's. Qantas is an excellent airlines and Delta has been flying their newest planes on the LAX-SYD route. Expect to pay $1000+ in the winter but try and see if you can find better deals because of all of the new competition on the route now that Delta and V Australia have begun flying to Oz.

As far as tips on Australia, please give me some more details on what time of year you are traveling and what sort of things you'd like to do and see. Generally, I would recommend some combination of Sydney, The Great Barrier Reef & Gold Coast and a few days in the South Island of New Zealand if you have the time. Melbourne is nothing to fuss about and Perth is far, far away! PM me if you need more info, I'll be happy to help you out.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
  • Dansdeals Lifetime 50K Diamond Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 16442
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 03:42:06 PM »
Why avoid United at all costs? If you can snag an Economy Plus seat then by all means go United and bring along your own entertainment!

Anyway I'm afraid that Australia is my last of the 6 major continents that I have left to visit so I can't be of much help besides strongly recommending that you go pick up the lonely planet guide for Austrailia.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline damaxer91

• Dansdeals Presidential Platinum Elite
  • DansDeals.com Hat Tips 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:26:11 AM »
I've flown LAX-SYD in Business and the Economy looked very dated every time. I did not notice the Economy+ last time so i can't comment on it. I do know that Qantas operates an A380 on the route and Delta has been flying brand new planes.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL Dirt, Hyatt Glob, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, DD Diamond, Blocked By @NeriaKraus
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 02:56:40 PM »
I've flown LAX-SYD in Business and the Economy looked very dated every time. I did not notice the Economy+ last time so i can't comment on it. I do know that Qantas operates an A380 on the route and Delta has been flying brand new planes.
I'm sure Delta's And Qantas' planes are significantly newer, but they still only have a 31" seat pitch.  United's Economy Plus is about 36", which is a massive difference as seat pitch is the measure from one seat back to the next.  5" additional seat pitch is probably about double the legroom of a 31" seat pitch, which makes for a far more bearable flight unless you can get a good exit row seat on another airline.
Save your time, I don't answer PM. Post it in the forum and a dedicated DDF'er will get back to you as soon as possible.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 02:38:41 AM »
I'm sure Delta's And Qantas' planes are significantly newer, but they still only have a 31" seat pitch.  United's Economy Plus is about 36", which is a massive difference as seat pitch is the measure from one seat back to the next.  5" additional seat pitch is probably about double the legroom of a 31" seat pitch, which makes for a far more bearable flight unless you can get a good exit row seat on another airline.

Id like to fly business or first, AA is partners with Quantas which looks to have nice planes, How does AA work with partner flight using points, is there a set amount for first class international? (ive never had nor flown AA so i dont know anything about it) All i can see from AA is award redemption amounts ( http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/free-ticket-award-chart.jsp ) and it make no mention of AU but if i hit partner award chart it brings me to quantas and then this http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/partners/airlines/qantasAirways.jsp which i cant make heads or tails out of it

I also see LAN as well as OneWorld are partners of Quantas, does anyone know how either one of those could possibly work?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 01:55:01 PM »
AA Partner Chart:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/aadvantageAllPartnerChart.jsp

AA Oneworld Chart:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/partners/airlines/oneWorld.jsp#using

You can check reward availability online by opening up a mileage account on Qantas.com

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »
Using OneWorld flying zone 7 under 25k miles  lax-hnl-akl-mel-syd-bne-cns-sin-bkk-nce-bcn-mad-nyc (24,297 miles)

Think its possible ???

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 09:36:59 PM »
Using OneWorld flying zone 7 under 25k miles  lax-hnl-akl-mel-syd-bne-cns-sin-bkk-nce-bcn-mad-nyc (24,297 miles)

Think its possible ???
Not unless there are nonstops between each of those cities.

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 10:52:12 PM »
Only checked some of them, but I would have 16 stops and left a few open, worse comes to worse I cut out one or two stops

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 10:53:41 PM »
If I have to use a stop over, can I stay there for more than a few hours?

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 02:55:18 PM »
If I have to use a stop over, can I stay there for more than a few hours?
I think you can have as many stopovers as you want, but you are still limited to 16 flight segments.
Also mileage is calculated including connection cities regardless of if you stopover there or not.

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 07:01:31 PM »
How much time do you need to spend in Australia to really cover the major sights?
Which cities are must-do and which are not?

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2010, 11:22:34 PM »
I'd say minimum 2 weeks, must go to sydney and I'd say somewhere along the great barrier reef, I went to the sheraton in port douglas, was beautiful

Offline Dan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2010, 11:26:10 PM »
I'd say minimum 2 weeks, must go to sydney and I'd say somewhere along the great barrier reef, I went to the sheraton in port douglas, was beautiful
Is it worth doing New Zealand on the same trip as well?

Offline Smirk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2010, 11:29:02 PM »
If you'll never go to that region again, alrough I haven't been to NZ I would say yes, because I loved it so much and will go back I saved for the next AU trip